Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Record Creation in VHDL

Record Creation in VHDL

Smi

HI

I have created one record to make a frame fromat as follows
type packet record is
{
preambler:std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);
sync_bit:std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);
data:std_logic;
}
signal tx_packet,rx_packetacket
my frame should be in format preambler,sync_bit,data.. now i need to
send all this tx_packet to hardware to any gpio pin serially can any
body tel me that how to do coding for this
please help me out

KJ

On Nov 23, 6:11*am, Smi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> HI
>
> I have created one record to make a frame fromat as follows
> type packet record is
> {
> * preambler:std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);
> sync_bit:std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);
> data:std_logic;}
>
> signal tx_packet,rx_packetacket
> my frame should be in format preambler,sync_bit,data.. now i need to
> send all this tx_packet to hardware to any gpio pin serially can any
> body tel me that how to do coding for this
> please help me out

There's two steps to this. First create a std_logic_vector out of
your record. Peruse my post in this group called 'Length of range'
for more info and links to details on how I would do that step.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....b06bca6030ed95

Next you need a parallel to serial conversion. The input to this is
the vector created above. The output is your serial stream. Parallel
to serial conversion can be nothing more than a shift register and a
counter to know when you're done.

These two steps can be combined into one which essentially creates a
converter from your record into a serial data stream. Doing so though
is probably less useful than creating the individual parts since the
technique of step #1 can be applied to many other cases, the serial to
parallel convertor can be reused as-is. The combined covertor though
will probably never be used again.

Kevin Jennings