Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > CS1595 - defined in Multiple places; using definition

CS1595 - defined in Multiple places; using definition

jhe

I have a user control HeaderControl which was shared by
multiple Asp.Net Pages (.aspx), sometimes when I make some
changes to our website and restart iis, it will have the
CS1595 error, but when I change something (for example,
add a space) in the HeaderControl.ascx, it will work
correctly. Here is the specific error message:

==============
Compilation Error
resource required to service this request. Please review
the following specific error details and modify your
source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS1595: '_ASP.HeaderControl_ascx'
is defined in multiple places; using definition
from 'C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Tempor ary
ASP.NET Files\root\40a482a3\35b5c2ce\9tawcop3.dll'
=====================

Thank you in advance

Jhe

Alvin Bruney

The reason for this is you have the assembly in a couple places. If these
two assemblies were built by the same program and in those two places, the
framework cannot determine which one to use because they are both valid and
usable and so it throws the error.

I've had that happen if i have an assembly A being used by assembly B and
Assembly C had its own copy of assembly A. In that case, there were two
valid copies of assembly A floating around. I'm not even sure that this
scenario should result in an error either according to the docs.

As a first start, you can delete all these assemblies every where you find
them on your hard drive, flush iis temporary files, then rebuild that
particular assembly. You should now have only one copy of this assembly. I'm
sure there are other permutations of this problem as well. This is just a
fix that i happened upon. See if it works for you.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
"jhe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:071401c3db01$241286b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a user control HeaderControl which was shared by
> multiple Asp.Net Pages (.aspx), sometimes when I make some
> changes to our website and restart iis, it will have the
> CS1595 error, but when I change something (for example,
> add a space) in the HeaderControl.ascx, it will work
> correctly. Here is the specific error message:
>
> ==============
> Compilation Error
> resource required to service this request. Please review
> the following specific error details and modify your
> source code appropriately.
>
> Compiler Error Message: CS1595: '_ASP.HeaderControl_ascx'
> is defined in multiple places; using definition
> from 'C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Tempor ary
> ASP.NET Files\root\40a482a3\35b5c2ce\9tawcop3.dll'
> =====================
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Jhe

frank p

Is this flushing and deleting a done by something in IIS, a .NET tool
like gacutil or just hunting and deleting with Explorer?

Frank

"Alvin Bruney" <vapor at steaming post office> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> As a first start, you can delete all these assemblies every where you find
> them on your hard drive, flush iis temporary files, then rebuild that
> particular assembly. You should now have only one copy of this assembly. I'm
> sure there are other permutations of this problem as well. This is just a
> fix that i happened upon. See if it works for you.

Compiler Error Message: CS1595 JTrigger ASP .Net 6 04-26-2004 08:45 PM
CS1595: "x is defined in multiple places..." w/ ascx controls Jouni Heikniemi ASP .Net 1 02-16-2004 01:05 PM
CS1595 Igor ASP .Net 4 01-30-2004 07:21 PM
Error on ASP.NET application; Compiler Error Message: CS1595 Kim NÝrby Andersen ASP .Net 5 12-19-2003 11:14 PM

Advertisments