Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Laptop's built-in wireless makes other computers to disconnect

Laptop's built-in wireless makes other computers to disconnect

Sudarshan Karkada

I have a laptop with built-in wireless which works fine. However,
whenever this laptop is used, all the other computers disconnect from
the wireless router. I have to power cycle the router before all the
computers can communicate with it again.

If I turn off the built-in wireless in the laptop and use a cardbus
wireless adapter, everything works fine.

Any idea what I should try to get the whole wireless family get along
(without having to use a cardbus adapter on the problematic laptop)?

Thank you very much for your insights and time.
__
Sudarshan.

Sudarshan Karkada

On Nov 21, 9:30*am, Sudarshan Karkada <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> whenever this laptop is used, all the other computers disconnect from
> the wireless router. I have to power cycle the router before all the

Sorry, forgot to mention that all the computers use Windows XP.

GlowingBlueMist

Sudarshan Karkada wrote:
> On Nov 21, 9:30 am, Sudarshan Karkada <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> whenever this laptop is used, all the other computers disconnect from
>> the wireless router. I have to power cycle the router before all the

> Sorry, forgot to mention that all the computers use Windows XP.

Are all the wireless computers using the same radio format, like 11b, G, or
N, or is the problem machine using something different than the rest? Also
check out the method it's using, Adhock or another method with regards to
the rest of the machines.

Pavel A.

"Sudarshan Karkada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a laptop with built-in wireless which works fine. However,
> whenever this laptop is used, all the other computers disconnect from
> the wireless router. I have to power cycle the router before all the
> computers can communicate with it again.
>
> If I turn off the built-in wireless in the laptop and use a cardbus
> wireless adapter, everything works fine.
>
> Any idea what I should try to get the whole wireless family get along
> (without having to use a cardbus adapter on the problematic laptop)?

IMHO you should inform the vendor of the laptop.
They know how to contact maker of the built-in wireless.

--pa

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Which Wireless manger is used in each case? I.e., the vendor's Wireless
software software or Windows Native Wireless Utility (WZC).
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Sudarshan Karkada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop with built-in wireless which works fine. However,
> whenever this laptop is used, all the other computers disconnect from
> the wireless router. I have to power cycle the router before all the
> computers can communicate with it again.
>
> If I turn off the built-in wireless in the laptop and use a cardbus
> wireless adapter, everything works fine.
>
> Any idea what I should try to get the whole wireless family get along
> (without having to use a cardbus adapter on the problematic laptop)?
>
> Thank you very much for your insights and time.
> __
> Sudarshan.

microsoft.public.windows.networking.wire

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> Hi
> Which Wireless manger is used in each case? I.e., the vendor's Wireless
> software software or Windows Native Wireless Utility (WZC).
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>

> "Sudarshan Karkada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a laptop with built-in wireless which works fine. However,
> > whenever this laptop is used, all the other computers disconnect from
> > the wireless router. I have to power cycle the router before all the
> > computers can communicate with it again.
> >
> > If I turn off the built-in wireless in the laptop and use a cardbus
> > wireless adapter, everything works fine.
> >
> > Any idea what I should try to get the whole wireless family get along
> > (without having to use a cardbus adapter on the problematic laptop)?
> >
> > Thank you very much for your insights and time.
> > __
> > Sudarshan.

> .

MapleE.

In my experience as to 'Wireless' that is quite tricky, unless you know it
well, ...

All of the computers in my household needs to 'G' form of Adapters that are
slower than 'N' form of Adapter. This seems to me primarily due to my ISP.
If I'd use 'N' form of wireless Adapter, I can not connect at all or
simply other PCs can not get Internet.

In my suggestion, try to ask your ISP whether your Laptop built-in wireless
is compatible to ISP that you're subscribing.
Also, I think that Router and Adapter needs to be same form. In my case,
the Router is 'G,' then I can not use 'N' form of Adapters.

Because of my inexperience on Wireless and etc., I wasted quite money
purchasing wrong adapters in the past.

"Sudarshan Karkada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop with built-in wireless which works fine. However,
> whenever this laptop is used, all the other computers disconnect from
> the wireless router. I have to power cycle the router before all the
> computers can communicate with it again.
>
> If I turn off the built-in wireless in the laptop and use a cardbus
> wireless adapter, everything works fine.
>
> Any idea what I should try to get the whole wireless family get along
> (without having to use a cardbus adapter on the problematic laptop)?
>
> Thank you very much for your insights and time.
> __
> Sudarshan.

John

"MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All of the computers in my household needs to 'G' form of Adapters that
> are slower than 'N' form of Adapter. This seems to me primarily due to
> my ISP.

Are you using a (free) WiFi router from your ISP? If not, your ISP has
nothing to do with your WiFi.

> If I'd use 'N' form of wireless Adapter, I can not connect at all or
> simply other PCs can not get Internet.

Most 802.11n adapters are backward compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b
wireless network. They can connect to any a, b, g or n wireless network.

> In my suggestion, try to ask your ISP whether your Laptop built-in
> wireless is compatible to ISP that you're subscribing.

If the ISP doesn't provide WiFi router, they have nothing to do with your
choice of WiFi network (802.11a/b/g/n)

> Also, I think that Router and Adapter needs to be same form.

Not necessarily.

> In my case, the Router is 'G,' then I can not use 'N' form of Adapters.

I'm almost positive that misconfiguration is causing it. I'm using a Linksys
WRT54G router (it's an 802.11g router). 1 desktop and 1 laptop with 802.11n
adapters connect without any problem. In addition to that, I have 1 more
laptop with 802.11g adapter connecting with no issues.

MapleE.

Yes, my ISP has been providing its own Modem/Router combo. that might
control everything we're doing. Someone suggesting we'd better to get our
own choice, ... but 'compatible' is an issue. Also, we are NOT 'tech-savour'
to tackle complixities of 'wireless' and etc. Practically, we got stuck,
but we also appreciate the ISP with which we have a good term, even though
we need to wait for couple of days tech. to come whenever any issue arises.

Furthermore, the ISP appears to be not always giving an honest opinion for
our endevour to set-up by our own. Lease is $5 monthly that does not come
cheap over years, ... but again we do not like to lose a good wireless
connection that we've been enjoying.

"John" <a> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> All of the computers in my household needs to 'G' form of Adapters that
>> are slower than 'N' form of Adapter. This seems to me primarily due to
>> my ISP.

> Are you using a (free) WiFi router from your ISP? If not, your ISP has
> nothing to do with your WiFi.
>
>> If I'd use 'N' form of wireless Adapter, I can not connect at all or
>> simply other PCs can not get Internet.

> Most 802.11n adapters are backward compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b
> wireless network. They can connect to any a, b, g or n wireless network.
>
>> In my suggestion, try to ask your ISP whether your Laptop built-in
>> wireless is compatible to ISP that you're subscribing.

> If the ISP doesn't provide WiFi router, they have nothing to do with your
> choice of WiFi network (802.11a/b/g/n)
>
>> Also, I think that Router and Adapter needs to be same form.

> Not necessarily.
>
>> In my case, the Router is 'G,' then I can not use 'N' form of Adapters.

> I'm almost positive that misconfiguration is causing it. I'm using a
> Linksys WRT54G router (it's an 802.11g router). 1 desktop and 1 laptop
> with 802.11n adapters connect without any problem. In addition to that, I
> have 1 more laptop with 802.11g adapter connecting with no issues.

John

"MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Furthermore, the ISP appears to be not always giving an honest opinion
> for our endevour to set-up by our own.

Why would they give you an honest opinion and lose $5/month? Ask a
friend/family tech person. I'm sure they'll be able to give you great
suggestions or even help you with the setup.

> Lease is $5 monthly that does not come cheap over years, ... but again we
> do not like to lose a good wireless connection that we've been enjoying.

That's why they don't want you to get your own router. $60/year to rent
their wireless G router. You can own one for the same amount of money or
less.