Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Monitor Configuration Screens Problem

Monitor Configuration Screens Problem

Robert11

Hello,

Have a new PC with W7, and a new LG Monitor, W2053TQ (20")

Everything works fine.
Great pix on monitor.

Only one problem.

The LG monitor is one of those that has the touch-sensitive buttons on the
front.

No matter what I try with these "buttons" (slight quick tap, holding finger
on for 10 seconds or so, etc.), nothing I do
brings up the OSD or configuration screens. This is true whether PC is on
or off.

Presently using a DVI-D cable for the digital connection from PC to Monitor,
rather than the VGA one.

Tried the LG Chat Line, and also a phone rep., but they couldn't offer
anything.

Was wondering if anyone might have this monitor, or possibly some similar LG
Monitor, and have any thoughts on what might be the problem, or what to try
?

Thanks,
Bob

Buffalo

Robert11 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have a new PC with W7, and a new LG Monitor, W2053TQ (20")
>
> Everything works fine.
> Great pix on monitor.
>
> Only one problem.
>
> The LG monitor is one of those that has the touch-sensitive buttons
> on the front.
>
> No matter what I try with these "buttons" (slight quick tap, holding
> finger on for 10 seconds or so, etc.), nothing I do
> brings up the OSD or configuration screens. This is true whether PC
> is on or off.
>
> Presently using a DVI-D cable for the digital connection from PC to
> Monitor, rather than the VGA one.
>
> Tried the LG Chat Line, and also a phone rep., but they couldn't offer
> anything.
>
> Was wondering if anyone might have this monitor, or possibly some
> similar LG Monitor, and have any thoughts on what might be the
> problem, or what to try ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Here's what I found out about your monitor. At the end, I will post the link
to that page. Perhaps you have a faulty monitor, but if it has a good
picture, you may just decide to keep it. The key is the invisible key and
the red light that is supposed to appear, I think you then have to touch the
'light'. Go to the light!! Go to the light!!!

"Each OSD button is invisible, but touching any of the button names causes
red LED lights to illuminate over the names. Touching the appropriate lights
returns a different menu;

however, we still found ourselves constantly touching the names, expecting a
menu to appear.

To change the brightness, we followed a clunky menu hierarchy. You press
Menu to bring up main menu, and press Autoset to select brightness/contrast.
The brightness and contrast gauges are aligned vertically, but you can't
cycle through them using the up and down arrows; instead, you must use the
Autoset buttons to do so and then use the up and down arrows to change the
value. We found this navigation unintuitive and clunky."

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...-33614923.html

Grinder

Robert11 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have a new PC with W7, and a new LG Monitor, W2053TQ (20")
>
> Everything works fine.
> Great pix on monitor.
>
> Only one problem.
>
> The LG monitor is one of those that has the touch-sensitive buttons on the
> front.
>
> No matter what I try with these "buttons" (slight quick tap, holding finger
> on for 10 seconds or so, etc.), nothing I do
> brings up the OSD or configuration screens. This is true whether PC is on
> or off.
>
> Presently using a DVI-D cable for the digital connection from PC to Monitor,
> rather than the VGA one.
>
> Tried the LG Chat Line, and also a phone rep., but they couldn't offer
> anything.
>
> Was wondering if anyone might have this monitor, or possibly some similar LG
> Monitor, and have any thoughts on what might be the problem, or what to try
> ?

Buffalo may well have your answer.

Something complete different that might be complicating this is that the
OSD might be locked. Press and hold the MENU button for several
seconds. It should eventually report that the OSD is either locked or
unlocked. (Repeat the process if you've just managed to lock the OSD
instead of unlock it.)

Robert11

Hi,

First, thanks to all for all the help.
Really appreciate it very much.

Tried the MENU "button"
Every possible way, pretty much.
Light quick taps, long holds of over 10 seconds, etc.
Different positions: on the LED light, over the light, and under the light
No changes.

Probably not PC related, as I tried with an older PC running XP, and same
story.

BTW: any idea what that quite small hole is on the back of the monitor that
has a small icon labeled "Lock" on it.

The rep on the phone at LG who I spoke to re this problem (no help) said it
was for locking the Monitor with a cable.
Awfully small hole, though to get anything thru it to fasten.

Was wondering if he might be wrong and it's a Reset, or screen lock in any
manner ?

Thanks again,
Bob
-------------------------------
"Grinder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Robert11 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Have a new PC with W7, and a new LG Monitor, W2053TQ (20")
>>
>> Everything works fine.
>> Great pix on monitor.
>>
>> Only one problem.
>>
>> The LG monitor is one of those that has the touch-sensitive buttons on
>> the front.
>>
>> No matter what I try with these "buttons" (slight quick tap, holding
>> finger on for 10 seconds or so, etc.), nothing I do
>> brings up the OSD or configuration screens. This is true whether PC is
>> on or off.
>>
>> Presently using a DVI-D cable for the digital connection from PC to
>> Monitor, rather than the VGA one.
>>
>> Tried the LG Chat Line, and also a phone rep., but they couldn't offer
>> anything.
>>
>> Was wondering if anyone might have this monitor, or possibly some similar
>> LG Monitor, and have any thoughts on what might be the problem, or what
>> to try ?

> Buffalo may well have your answer.
>
> Something complete different that might be complicating this is that the
> OSD might be locked. Press and hold the MENU button for several seconds.
> It should eventually report that the OSD is either locked or unlocked.
> (Repeat the process if you've just managed to lock the OSD instead of
> unlock it.)

Robert11

Hi,

Much thanks.

Tried every which way with MENU button.
No luck.

Thanks again for help; really appreciate it.
(See also my reply to next Post, please)

Bob
-----------------
news:he8tup$d6s$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First, thanks to all for all the help.
> Really appreciate it very much.
>
> Tried the MENU "button"
> Every possible way, pretty much.
> Light quick taps, long holds of over 10 seconds, etc.
> Different positions: on the LED light, over the light, and under the light
> No changes.
>
> Probably not PC related, as I tried with an older PC running XP, and same
> story.
>
> BTW: any idea what that quite small hole is on the back of the monitor that
> has a small icon labeled "Lock" on it.
>
> The rep on the phone at LG who I spoke to re this problem (no help) said it
> was for locking the Monitor with a cable.
> Awfully small hole, though to get anything thru it to fasten.
>
> Was wondering if he might be wrong and it's a Reset, or screen lock in any
> manner ?

It's not a reset button -- it's for the insertion of a security device.

http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/120/740/943/GRvj.jpg

Robert11

Hi again,

Thanks for link.

Never would have believed it; it's such a small opening.

Thanks again for help.

Nothings worked so far.
If any other thoughts, please let me know.

It's such a beautiful picture, I would hate to return it.

Regards and thanks,
Bob
-------------------------------

> Robert11 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First, thanks to all for all the help.
>> Really appreciate it very much.
>>
>> Tried the MENU "button"
>> Every possible way, pretty much.
>> Light quick taps, long holds of over 10 seconds, etc.
>> Different positions: on the LED light, over the light, and under the
>> light
>> No changes.
>>
>> Probably not PC related, as I tried with an older PC running XP, and same
>> story.
>>
>> BTW: any idea what that quite small hole is on the back of the monitor
>> that has a small icon labeled "Lock" on it.
>>
>> The rep on the phone at LG who I spoke to re this problem (no help) said
>> it was for locking the Monitor with a cable.
>> Awfully small hole, though to get anything thru it to fasten.
>>
>> Was wondering if he might be wrong and it's a Reset, or screen lock in
>> any manner ?

> It's not a reset button -- it's for the insertion of a security device.
>
> http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/120/740/943/GRvj.jpg

Aardvark

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:57:47 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

> It's such a beautiful picture, I would hate to return it.

Well, keep the picture and send the monitor back.

--
Some kill their love when they are young, And some when they are old;
Some strangle with the hands of Lust, Some with the hands of Gold: