Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Office 2010 beta

Reply
Thread Tools

Office 2010 beta

 
 
Scott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2009
I am getting a new computer with 64 bit Windows 7. I have just
received the e-mail offering the beta version of Office 2010. I see
the advice is to install the 32 bit version even if you are using 64
bit operating system, which seems counter-intuitive.

Can anyone tell me (preferably from experience) (1) whether this is
correct and why; and (2) whether installing this beta is a good idea
at all.

Thanks
Scott
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dominic Payer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2009
If you have plug-ins for any Office program, e.g. Nokia Suite to
synchronise your mobile phone with Outlook, they need to be 64-bit if
they are to work with the 64-bit beta. So far as I know, there are no
such 64-bit plug-ins yet. Hence the advice to install the 32-bit version.

If you intend to use it stand-alone the 64-bit version should be fine.

It is a public beta and has had substantial development, but is not yet
finished and will have some bugs. If you can live with the possibility
of some crashes there is no reason why you should not use it. It is not
advisable to use it in any mission critical situations.


On 21/11/2009 11:34, Scott wrote:
> I am getting a new computer with 64 bit Windows 7. I have just
> received the e-mail offering the beta version of Office 2010. I see
> the advice is to install the 32 bit version even if you are using 64
> bit operating system, which seems counter-intuitive.
>
> Can anyone tell me (preferably from experience) (1) whether this is
> correct and why; and (2) whether installing this beta is a good idea
> at all.
>
> Thanks
> Scott

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Carlos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2009
I installed Office 2010 beta x64 in Windows 7 x64.
There is one unresolved issue that made me uninstall it and go for Office
2010 x86.
Windows Mobile Device Center simply doesn't work with Outlook 2010 x64.
I could not sync my PDA with Outlook any longer and all my contacts were
deleted from my Pocket PC.
Office 2010 x86 runs fine now.
Carlos

"Scott" wrote:

> I am getting a new computer with 64 bit Windows 7. I have just
> received the e-mail offering the beta version of Office 2010. I see
> the advice is to install the 32 bit version even if you are using 64
> bit operating system, which seems counter-intuitive.
>
> Can anyone tell me (preferably from experience) (1) whether this is
> correct and why; and (2) whether installing this beta is a good idea
> at all.
>
> Thanks
> Scott
> .
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Maratonmannen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2009
Neither do PC Suite for Satio™ work with Outlook 2010 x64.
Haven´t tried x86.

--
Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro
Core™ 2 Extreme X6800
2 x VelociRaptor RAID 0
8GB DDR2 800MHz
GeForce 8800GTX
Eizo 30" 2560x1600
LAN 100/100
XP x64 SP2 - Vista x64 SP2 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64 in tripleboot


"Carlos" wrote:

> Windows Mobile Device Center simply doesn't work with Outlook 2010 x64.
> Carlos
>
> "Scott" wrote:
>
> > I am getting a new computer with 64 bit Windows 7. I have just
> > received the e-mail offering the beta version of Office 2010. I see
> > the advice is to install the 32 bit version even if you are using 64
> > bit operating system, which seems counter-intuitive.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me (preferably from experience) (1) whether this is
> > correct and why; and (2) whether installing this beta is a good idea
> > at all.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Scott
> > .
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2009
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 04:18:01 -0800, Carlos
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I installed Office 2010 beta x64 in Windows 7 x64.
>There is one unresolved issue that made me uninstall it and go for Office
>2010 x86.
>Windows Mobile Device Center simply doesn't work with Outlook 2010 x64.
>I could not sync my PDA with Outlook any longer and all my contacts were
>deleted from my Pocket PC.
>Office 2010 x86 runs fine now.
>Carlos


Thanks guys. This sounds like the answer. I have a Palm to
synchronise so maybe it would be asking for trouble to install a 64
bit system.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom Lake
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2009

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I installed Office 2010 beta x64 in Windows 7 x64.
> There is one unresolved issue that made me uninstall it and go for Office
> 2010 x86.
> Windows Mobile Device Center simply doesn't work with Outlook 2010 x64.
> I could not sync my PDA with Outlook any longer and all my contacts were
> deleted from my Pocket PC.
> Office 2010 x86 runs fine now.
> Carlos


I'm running the 64-bit version on Win 7 x64 and every time I start Word
I get a message that there's some macro that can't be found. I have it set
to
run all macros so I don't know what's up with it.

Tom Lake

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bobby Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2009
I had that with 2007 after I installed a plug-in/macro and then decided
I didn't like it so I un-installed it. Something left behind that
shouldn't have been. I have something similar right now because I had
tried Parallels VM and after I un-installed the trial I now have an erro
that the Parallels network adapter is missing, but I can't figure out
where the entry is that needs to be deleted.


Tom Lake wrote:
>
> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I installed Office 2010 beta x64 in Windows 7 x64.
>> There is one unresolved issue that made me uninstall it and go for Office
>> 2010 x86.
>> Windows Mobile Device Center simply doesn't work with Outlook 2010 x64.
>> I could not sync my PDA with Outlook any longer and all my contacts were
>> deleted from my Pocket PC.
>> Office 2010 x86 runs fine now.
>> Carlos

>
> I'm running the 64-bit version on Win 7 x64 and every time I start Word
> I get a message that there's some macro that can't be found. I have it
> set to
> run all macros so I don't know what's up with it.
>
> Tom Lake

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Share-Point-2010 ,Share-Point -2010 Training , Share-point-2010Hyderabad , Share-point-2010 Institute Saraswati lakki ASP .Net 0 01-06-2012 06:39 AM
CFP with Extended Deadline of Mar. 31, 2010: The 2010 InternationalConference on Modeling, Simulation, and Visualization Methods (MSV'10), USA,July 2010 A. M. G. Solo VHDL 0 03-25-2010 12:04 PM
Office 2010 Beta = MAXIMUM DAMAGE! XS11E Windows 64bit 12 02-12-2010 06:05 PM
MS Office 2010 Beta? Jim Computer Support 7 01-12-2010 06:43 AM
Office 2010 beta Scott Windows 64bit 4 12-10-2009 01:57 PM



Advertisments