Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TelstraClear is Moving its call center to the Philippines..

TelstraClear is Moving its call center to the Philippines..

Mary Hanna

Yes the call center here in Kapiti, lots of people will be out of work, I do
hope its not this side of Christmas.

I just herd that on a local Radio station.

pystol

On Nov 21, 10:19*pm, Mary Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Yes the call center here in Kapiti, lots of people will be out of work, I do
> hope its not this side of Christmas.
>
> I just herd that on a local Radio station.

Oh dear, I feel sorry for you TelstraClear customers. There's not much
that is more frustrating than trying to communicate with a useless
****ing English-is-a-second-language support person from the third
world.

Adam

Mary Hanna wrote:

> Yes the call center here in Kapiti, lots of people will be out of work, I
> do hope its not this side of Christmas.
>
> I just herd that on a local Radio station.

Vodaphone too, its Call Centre to Manila, apparently.

victor

pystol wrote:
> On Nov 21, 10:19 pm, Mary Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Yes the call center here in Kapiti, lots of people will be out of work, I do
>> hope its not this side of Christmas.
>>
>> I just herd that on a local Radio station.

> Oh dear, I feel sorry for you TelstraClear customers. There's not much
> that is more frustrating than trying to communicate with a useless
> ****ing English-is-a-second-language support person from the third
> world.

Its a dirty job, but someones got to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt9j80Jkc_A

Carnations

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 06:08:21 +1300, Adam wrote:

>> Yes the call center here in Kapiti, lots of people will be out of work,
>> I do hope its not this side of Christmas.
>>
>> I just herd that on a local Radio station.

> Vodaphone too, its Call Centre to Manila, apparently.

There is at least one contact centre in the Philippines that is entirely owned by 100% New Zealand
owned companies.

They're taking advantage of the low wage economy there, and many (enough) of the citizens there
speak excellent English. Others of course speak appalling English.

Max Burke

Adam wrote:
> Mary Hanna wrote:

>> Yes the call center here in Kapiti, lots of people will be out of work, I
>> do hope its not this side of Christmas.
>>
>> I just herd that on a local Radio station.

> Vodaphone too, its Call Centre to Manila, apparently.

Last/first time I called Vodafone (when trying to activate my online
mobile phone account) I ended up at an Egyptian Vodafone call centre.

Their English wasn't that bad, but talk about 'arrogant!'

They tried to tell me my paradise email address that I have had for 10+
years belonged to someone else, that I was using the wrong email
address, that I had been a Vodafone customer previously (I haven't) and
that they couldn't fix the problem I was having as their computer had
'frozen' and hung up on me.

Found Images

Carnations

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:18:48 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>> Mary Hanna wrote:

>>> Yes the call center here in Kapiti, lots of people will be out of
>>> work, I do hope its not this side of Christmas.
>>>
>>> I just herd that on a local Radio station.

>> Vodaphone too, its Call Centre to Manila, apparently.

> Last/first time I called Vodafone (when trying to activate my online
> mobile phone account) I ended up at an Egyptian Vodafone call centre.
>
> Their English wasn't that bad, but talk about 'arrogant!'
>
> They tried to tell me my paradise email address that I have had for 10+
> years belonged to someone else, that I was using the wrong email
> address, that I had been a Vodafone customer previously (I haven't) and
> that they couldn't fix the problem I was having as their computer had
> 'frozen' and hung up on me.

Hmmm... Excellent Vodafone customer service!

Gordon

On 2009-11-21, Carnations <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 06:08:21 +1300, Adam wrote:
>
>>> Yes the call center here in Kapiti, lots of people will be out of work,
>>> I do hope its not this side of Christmas.
>>>
>>> I just herd that on a local Radio station.

>> Vodaphone too, its Call Centre to Manila, apparently.

> There is at least one contact centre in the Philippines that is entirely owned by 100% New Zealand
> owned companies.
>
> They're taking advantage of the low wage economy there, and many (enough) of the citizens there
> speak excellent English. Others of course speak appalling English.

Also read that Maori names throws them off the customer focused bus.

John Little

> > ... contact centre in the Philippines ...

> > Others of course speak appalling English.

> Also read that Maori names throws them off the customer focused bus.

The New Zealand accent can throw them too.

Regards, John

Carnations

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 07:55:52 +0000, Gordon wrote:

>>> Vodaphone too, its Call Centre to Manila, apparently.

>> There is at least one contact centre in the Philippines that is
>> entirely owned by 100% New Zealand owned companies.
>>
>> They're taking advantage of the low wage economy there, and many
>> (enough) of the citizens there speak excellent English. Others of
>> course speak appalling English.
>>

> Also read that Maori names throws them off the customer focused bus.

Well use the English equivalents.

After All, its correct name is Mount Egmont rather than Mt Taranaki, and it is "Wellington" instead of "Te
Whananui a Tara!", and it is "Auckland" instead of "Akarana" (or however it is that Maoris butcher the
pronunciation of that name), and it *is* "Stephen" instead of "Tipine".

Besides, if they can butcher the Tagalog tongue they can butcher the Maori tongue just as well given
that both be pseudo phonetic languages. ;o)