Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Quick query re voip and numbers

Re: Quick query re voip and numbers

Graham.

"no-one" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have looked a fair bit but would be glad of a pointer as to the
> feasability of the following because my head hurts ) :-
>
> A relative is looking to get business premises and would also like the
> ability to work from an offsite office. Is it possible to set up a
> system with an 0845 number that, would be able to be picked up by
> another telephone at another address. i.e select which phone gets the
> incoming calls by switching between them.
>
> Just need to be pointed as to what I am looking at is called and then
> I can use more directed searches.

I don't think you want or need an 0845 number.
Will both sites have broadband?

This is how I would do it.
Install an IP phone at each site (or an ATA analogue telephone adapter + regular phone)
Get two free accounts from sipgate.co.uk, you het to choose an 01 or 02 number
for each one, choose the area code appropriate for the sites.
Set up the phones with the account details.

Now the two phones will be able to call each other with a 7 digit number
(usually the last 7 of the number you chose.
Also the public at large will be able to call each of the phones at normal
geographic rates.

In your case using Sipgate web site you will be able to forward the unmanned
site to the manned one (all at no charge to you) so only one of the numbers
need be made public.

You can even have both the phones ring on the same account, whoever picks
it up first gets the call.

If you want to try it out before buying hardware, download the Counterpath
X-Lite softphone from the Sipgate site

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Don

In news:he70ss$o0e$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org,
Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> "no-one" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have looked a fair bit but would be glad of a pointer as to the
>> feasability of the following because my head hurts ) :-
>>
>> A relative is looking to get business premises and would also like
>> the ability to work from an offsite office. Is it possible to set
>> up a system with an 0845 number that, would be able to be picked up
>> by another telephone at another address. i.e select which phone gets
>> the incoming calls by switching between them.
>>
>> Just need to be pointed as to what I am looking at is called and then
>> I can use more directed searches.

> I don't think you want or need an 0845 number.
> Will both sites have broadband?
>
> This is how I would do it.
> Install an IP phone at each site (or an ATA analogue telephone
> adapter + regular phone) Get two free accounts from sipgate.co.uk, you het
> to choose an 01 or
> 02 number for each one, choose the area code appropriate for the sites.
> Set up the phones with the account details.
>
> Now the two phones will be able to call each other with a 7 digit
> number (usually the last 7 of the number you chose.
> Also the public at large will be able to call each of the phones at
> normal geographic rates.
>
> In your case using Sipgate web site you will be able to forward the
> unmanned site to the manned one (all at no charge to you) so only one of
> the
> numbers need be made public.
>
> You can even have both the phones ring on the same account, whoever
> picks it up first gets the call.
>
> If you want to try it out before buying hardware, download the
> Counterpath X-Lite softphone from the Sipgate site

You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you will
need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.

Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will get the
call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the other simply by dialling
the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free
calls between the two locations by simply dialling the main number.
--

Don

Don

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Don presented the following explanation :
>

>> You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you
>> will need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.
>>
>> Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will
>> get the call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the other
>> simply by dialling the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID).
>> Equally you can make free calls between the two locations by simply
>> dialling the main number.

> I didn't know that!
>
> I thought the second device registering would break the other's
> registration...

No - I've had an ATA and two PCs with softphones rgistered at the same time,
and had two conversations going on. X-Lite has three lines (the buttons
immediately under the screen), but I suspect the limit is the broadband link
bandwidth. If you want to try it out, give me a ring on 4818223, and I'll
ring you back from a second phone.
--

Don

Graham.

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message newsvQNm.53879$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> In news:he70ss$o0e$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org,
> Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>> "no-one" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have looked a fair bit but would be glad of a pointer as to the
>>> feasability of the following because my head hurts ) :-
>>>
>>> A relative is looking to get business premises and would also like
>>> the ability to work from an offsite office. Is it possible to set
>>> up a system with an 0845 number that, would be able to be picked up
>>> by another telephone at another address. i.e select which phone gets
>>> the incoming calls by switching between them.
>>>
>>> Just need to be pointed as to what I am looking at is called and then
>>> I can use more directed searches.

>> I don't think you want or need an 0845 number.
>> Will both sites have broadband?
>>
>> This is how I would do it.
>> Install an IP phone at each site (or an ATA analogue telephone
>> adapter + regular phone) Get two free accounts from sipgate.co.uk, you het to choose an 01 or
>> 02 number for each one, choose the area code appropriate for the sites.
>> Set up the phones with the account details.
>>
>> Now the two phones will be able to call each other with a 7 digit
>> number (usually the last 7 of the number you chose.
>> Also the public at large will be able to call each of the phones at
>> normal geographic rates.
>>
>> In your case using Sipgate web site you will be able to forward the
>> unmanned site to the manned one (all at no charge to you) so only one of the
>> numbers need be made public.
>>
>> You can even have both the phones ring on the same account, whoever
>> picks it up first gets the call.
>>
>> If you want to try it out before buying hardware, download the
>> Counterpath X-Lite softphone from the Sipgate site

> You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you will need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.
>
> Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will get the call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the
> other simply by dialling the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free calls between the two
> locations by simply dialling the main number.

Precisely.

Another thing worth mentioning to the OP is Sipgate has a full-featured
voice-mail, including the option of having massages emailed to you as a .WAV
attachment.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ivor Jones

On 21/11/09 14:15, Graham. wrote:
> "Don"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message newsvQNm.53879$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> In news:he70ss$o0e$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org,
>> Graham.<(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

[snip]

>> You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you will need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.
>>
>> Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will get the call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the
>> other simply by dialling the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free calls between the two
>> locations by simply dialling the main number.

> Precisely.
>
> Another thing worth mentioning to the OP is Sipgate has a full-featured
> voice-mail, including the option of having massages emailed to you as a .WAV
> attachment.

And they've *finally* fixed voicemail so you get a proper voice not the
crappy stilted one from two or three separate recordings.

Ivor

PS was Sipgate UK offline for anyone yesterday in the early hours..? All
my UK numbers were down for an hour or so, but the German one and my
Gradwell number were fine.

Woody

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:he8slc$43o$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsvQNm.53879$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> In news:he70ss$o0e$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org,
>> Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>>> "no-one" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I don't think you want or need an 0845 number.
>>> Will both sites have broadband?
>>>
>>> This is how I would do it.
>>> Install an IP phone at each site (or an ATA analogue
>>> telephone
>>> adapter + regular phone) Get two free accounts from
>>> sipgate.co.uk, you het to choose an 01 or
>>> 02 number for each one, choose the area code appropriate for
>>> the sites.
>>> Set up the phones with the account details.
>>>
>>> Now the two phones will be able to call each other with a 7
>>> digit
>>> number (usually the last 7 of the number you chose.
>>> Also the public at large will be able to call each of the
>>> phones at
>>> normal geographic rates.
>>>
>>> In your case using Sipgate web site you will be able to
>>> forward the
>>> unmanned site to the manned one (all at no charge to you) so
>>> only one of the
>>> numbers need be made public.
>>>
>>> You can even have both the phones ring on the same account,
>>> whoever
>>> picks it up first gets the call.
>>>
>>> If you want to try it out before buying hardware, download
>>> the
>>> Counterpath X-Lite softphone from the Sipgate site

>> You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do,
>> but you will need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.
>>
>> Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to
>> answer will get the call. You can then transfer it (for free)
>> to the other simply by dialling the main number (or the 7
>> digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free calls
>> between the two locations by simply dialling the main number.

> Precisely.
>
> Another thing worth mentioning to the OP is Sipgate has a
> full-featured
> voice-mail, including the option of having massages emailed to
> you as a .WAV
> attachment.
> --
> Graham.
>
> %Profound_observation%

As a note, Sipgate used to be castigated on here often for
reliability issues and especially for poor audio quality and
level. Do I surmise that this now all gone away and they are
worth using?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Graham.

"Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:g58Om.66873$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:he8slc$43o$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>

>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message newsvQNm.53879$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> In news:he70ss$o0e$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org,
>>> Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

>>> You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you will need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.
>>>
>>> Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will get the call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the
>>> other simply by dialling the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free calls between the two
>>> locations by simply dialling the main number.

>> Precisely.
>>
>> Another thing worth mentioning to the OP is Sipgate has a full-featured
>> voice-mail, including the option of having massages emailed to you as a .WAV
>> attachment.
>> --
>> Graham.
>>
>> %Profound_observation%
>>

> As a note, Sipgate used to be castigated on here often for reliability issues and especially for poor audio quality and level. Do
> I surmise that this now all gone away and they are worth using?

No, it's just seems that way because Ron Chew doesn't post here as often.
(Sorry Ivor, that was your line, I know).

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ivor Jones

On 22/11/09 10:48, Graham. wrote:
> "Woody"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:g58Om.66873$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> "Graham."<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:he8slc$43o$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

[snip]

>> As a note, Sipgate used to be castigated on here often for reliability issues and especially for poor audio quality and level. Do
>> I surmise that this now all gone away and they are worth using?

> No, it's just seems that way because Ron Chew doesn't post here as often.
> (Sorry Ivor, that was your line, I know).

I wouldn't waste the bandwidth these days. FWIW Sipgate are fine,
they've even finally fixed voicemail with a decent quality voice..!

Ivor

Graham.

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> on 21/11/2009, Don supposed :
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>>> Don presented the following explanation :

>>> I didn't know that!
>>>
>>> I thought the second device registering would break the other's
>>> registration...

>> No - I've had an ATA and two PCs with softphones rgistered at the same time, and had two conversations going on. X-Lite has
>> three lines (the buttons immediately under the screen), but I suspect the limit is the broadband link bandwidth. If you want to
>> try it out, give me a ring on 4818223, and I'll ring you back from a second phone.

> I've just tried this....Asterisk and a Siemens s450ip.
>
> Only Asterisk rings.

Are both devices behind the same NAT router?
(I'm not claiming to be an expert, just wondering if the SIP packets are getting confused)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Bodincus

Jono:
> Graham. presented the following explanation :

>>> I've just tried this....Asterisk and a Siemens s450ip.
>>>
>>> Only Asterisk rings.

>> Are both devices behind the same NAT router?
>> (I'm not claiming to be an expert, just wondering if the SIP packets
>> are getting confused)

> No they're not.
>
> Both appear as registered when logging in to the Sipgate account.

Your other phone doesn't ring because Asterisk answers the call
immediately and then routes it to the destination you set with the
Inbound Route for that trunk.
Set the Inbound Route not to answer for X seconds and your other phone
will ring, at least while * is not answering.
Two phones will ring together, that's what BGC (Border Gateway
Controllers) at the providers' side are made for.
You can register umpteen devices on a single account @ Sipgate, and all
will ring together.
I've been doing this for years, with my office number ringing on my
house phone through a FritzBox, my office phone through Asterisk and my
Mobile with Fring. First that picks up gets the call, never failed.
--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid