Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 7204 with E3 => Interface Down

Cisco 7204 with E3 => Interface Down

Mag

Hi

what is the best process for see where is the probleme ?

i have a Cisco 7204 with NPE225, a PA-E3 and:

C7204#sh interface Serial2/0
Serial2/0 is down, line protocol is down
Hardware is M1T-E3 pa
Internet address is 172.20.2.221/30
MTU 4470 bytes, BW 34010 Kbit, DLY 200 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation HDLC, crc 16, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
Restart-Delay is 0 secs
Last input 2d05h, output 2d05h, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters 3d00h
Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
24 packets input, 1379 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 8 broadcasts (0 IP multicasts)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 parity
1 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 1 abort
36 packets output, 2746 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 applique, 7 interface resets
13 carrier transitions
rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS active
txAIS inactive, rxRAI inactive, txRAI active

the second 7204, same configuration, the serial are Up but protocol are
down, but i see

C7204-2#sh interfaces serial 1/0
Serial1/0 is up, line protocol is down
Hardware is M1T-E3 pa
Internet address is 172.20.2.222/30
MTU 4470 bytes, BW 34010 Kbit, DLY 200 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation HDLC, crc 16, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
Restart-Delay is 0 secs
Last input never, output 00:00:02, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters 2d23h
Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
0 parity
18 input errors, 18 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
25916 packets output, 626716 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 applique, 9 interface resets
19 carrier transitions
rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS inactive
txAIS inactive, rxRAI active, txRAI inactive

he lost line are not same, on the first router, i have AIS in red

thanks for your help

geoar75@gmail.com

Hi,

Are those interfaces connected together? Have you tried the "no shut"
command on the s2/0 interface of C7204?

Giorgos

--

NetPros Community
Connecting IT Professionals from all over the World

On Nov 20, 6:12*pm, Mag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> what is the best process for see where is the probleme ?
>
> i have a Cisco 7204 with NPE225, a PA-E3 and:
>
> C7204#sh interface Serial2/0
> Serial2/0 is down, line protocol is down
> * *Hardware is M1T-E3 pa
> * *Internet address is 172.20.2.221/30
> * *MTU 4470 bytes, BW 34010 Kbit, DLY 200 usec,
> * * * reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
> * *Encapsulation HDLC, crc 16, loopback not set
> * *Keepalive set (10 sec)
> * *Restart-Delay is 0 secs
> * *Last input 2d05h, output 2d05h, output hang never
> * *Last clearing of "show interface" counters 3d00h
> * *Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
> * *Queueing strategy: fifo
> * *Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
> * *5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
> * *5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
> * * * 24 packets input, 1379 bytes, 0 no buffer
> * * * Received 8 broadcasts (0 IP multicasts)
> * * * 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
> * * * * * * * *0 parity
> * * * 1 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 1 abort
> * * * 36 packets output, 2746 bytes, 0 underruns
> * * * 0 output errors, 0 applique, 7 interface resets
> * * * 0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
> * * * 13 carrier transitions
> * * rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS active
> * * txAIS inactive, rxRAI inactive, txRAI active
>
> the second 7204, same configuration, the serial are Up but protocol are
> down, but i see
>
> C7204-2#sh interfaces serial 1/0
> Serial1/0 is up, line protocol is down
> * *Hardware is M1T-E3 pa
> * *Internet address is 172.20.2.222/30
> * *MTU 4470 bytes, BW 34010 Kbit, DLY 200 usec,
> * * * reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
> * *Encapsulation HDLC, crc 16, loopback not set
> * *Keepalive set (10 sec)
> * *Restart-Delay is 0 secs
> * *Last input never, output 00:00:02, output hang never
> * *Last clearing of "show interface" counters 2d23h
> * *Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
> * *Queueing strategy: fifo
> * *Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
> * *5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
> * *5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
> * * * 0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
> * * * Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
> * * * * * * * *0 parity
> * * * 18 input errors, 18 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
> * * * 25916 packets output, 626716 bytes, 0 underruns
> * * * 0 output errors, 0 applique, 9 interface resets
> * * * 0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
> * * * 19 carrier transitions
> * * rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS inactive
> * * txAIS inactive, rxRAI active, txRAI inactive
>
> he lost line are not same, on the first router, i have AIS in red
>
> thanks for your help

Mag

Hi

thanks for your help:

The interface are Connected by a E3 34 Mbits Telephonica,
and telephonica say that he don't see a problems.

Yes, i have shut/no shut and today we have change the card
without change

bye
mag

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) a écrit :
> [...]
>> Last input never, output 00:00:02, output hang never
>> Last clearing of "show interface" counters 2d23h
>> Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
>> Queueing strategy: fifo
>> Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
>> 5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
>> 5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
>> 0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
>> Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
>> 0 parity
>> 18 input errors, 18 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
>> 25916 packets output, 626716 bytes, 0 underruns
>> 0 output errors, 0 applique, 9 interface resets
>> 0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
>> 19 carrier transitions
>> rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS inactive
>> txAIS inactive, rxRAI active, txRAI inactive
>>
>> he lost line are not same, on the first router, i have AIS in red

Doug McIntyre

Mag <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>thanks for your help:

> The interface are Connected by a E3 34 Mbits Telephonica,
>and telephonica say that he don't see a problems.

> Yes, i have shut/no shut and today we have change the card
>without change

Standard telco troubleshooting would be put in hardware loopback
(ie. connect Rx back to Tx) in the cabling to try to determine the
problem.

Ie. you can loopback facing your hardware at your telco demarc and make
sure that your router can see the loop (the interface should come
up/up and looped). This shows that your cabling and hardware are good
enough to see the physical circuit up.

You can loopback facing the telco at one location, and see if your
far end can see it. If the far end can't see it, then ask the telco
if *they* can see the loopback facing them. (they probably will have
to get a CO technician to break into the circuit to see this).

If they can't, then tell them that you are looping back to them at
their handoff, and the problem is in their line and they need to come
figure out where the break is and fix it.

And you can repeat this procedure at the other end as well.

You can also throw up loopbacks inside your router hardware, but I
find this is not usually as reliable as doing cable loopbacks.

I'd start at the end that was down/down not receiving anything,
although it could be the transmit side of the far end receiving AIS.

geoar75@gmail.com

The "interface down" may be caused by a physical layer issue, such as
the cable or the interface itself. Since you already tried another
interface, you should also check the cable as well.

On the other router, C7204B, it's obvious something's wrong with the
line protocol.

Giorgos

--

On Nov 20, 7:33*pm, Mag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> thanks for your help:
>
> * * * * The interface are Connected by a E3 34 Mbits Telephonica,
> and telephonica say that he don't see a problems.
>
> * * * * Yes, i have shut/no shut and today we have change the card
> without change
>
> bye
> mag

Ruairi Carroll

On Nov 20, 7:27*pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The "interface down" may be caused by a physical layer issue, such as
> the cable or the interface itself. Since you already tried another
> interface, you should also check the cable as well.
>
> On the other router, C7204B, it's obvious something's wrong with the
> line protocol.
>
> Giorgos
>
> --
>
> NetPros Community
> Connecting IT Professionals from all over the Worldhttp://netpros.freeforums.org
>
> On Nov 20, 7:33*pm, Mag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Hi

> > thanks for your help:

> > * * * * The interface are Connected by a E3 34 Mbits Telephonica,
> > and telephonica say that he don't see a problems.

> > * * * * Yes, i have shut/no shut and today we have change the card
> > without change

> > bye
> > mag

Hi Mag,

From the first box:
C7204#sh interface Serial2/0
Serial2/0 is down, line protocol is down
<snip>
13 carrier transitions
rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS active
txAIS inactive, rxRAI inactive, txRAI active

Your upstream device is transmitting an Alarm Indication Signal - the
PE, I guess, is having some problems. As a result, you're transmitting
Remote Alarm Indication. Best thing to do here is gather 'sh
controller e3 2/0' and see which counters are incrementing. Also, do a
hard loop to see if the interface comes up.

For the 2nd box:
C7204-2#sh interfaces serial 1/0
Serial1/0 is up, line protocol is down
<snip>
rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS inactive
txAIS inactive, rxRAI active, txRAI inactive

You're getting a Remote Alarm Indication from the remote device.
Again, loop to see if your link comes up. Also do a barrel roll at the
demarkation point for your E3.

/Ruairi

Removing Subinterfaces from a CISCO 7204 Router John Ireland Cisco 4 11-23-2010 01:13 PM
Boot Problem with Cisco 7204 VXR Router Dave Roekle Cisco 1 10-28-2008 11:16 PM
Best IOS Cisco 7204 ELR Cisco 0 11-10-2005 12:01 PM
VPN Concentrator (NAT'd) to Cisco 7204 jimnl69@hotmail.com Cisco 1 09-27-2005 06:20 PM
cisco 7204 problem + BT megastream 2 issue Mark Wilson Cisco 4 06-11-2004 04:00 PM

Advertisments