Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: UFI computer Pentium II

Re: UFI computer Pentium II

Ken

James D. Andrews wrote:
> Had a UFI brand P2 early model computer brought by for fixing.
> Two things noticed:
> 1) Never heard of UFI and can't find it on my searches (get all kinds of
> other things).
> 2) No startup to enter to change settings. Tried every F-key and even the
> Return. Is there a way into this dinosaur?

Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set CMOS.
Perhaps this one does also?

Ken

James D. Andrews wrote:
> "Ken"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:he4aul$u2r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> James D. Andrews wrote:
>>> Had a UFI brand P2 early model computer brought by for fixing.
>>> Two things noticed:
>>> 1) Never heard of UFI and can't find it on my searches (get all kinds of
>>> other things).
>>> 2) No startup to enter to change settings. Tried every F-key and even
>>> the
>>> Return. Is there a way into this dinosaur?
>>>

>> Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set CMOS.
>> Perhaps this one does also?

> Thanks. That sucks. Actually, this computer sucks. I'm thinking real hard
> about just giving him one of my old ones and taking my frustrations out on
> this one.

If you want to pursue the CMOS setup with a floppy, I may be able to
help you.

baron

Ken Inscribed thus:

> James D. Andrews wrote:
>> Had a UFI brand P2 early model computer brought by for fixing.
>> Two things noticed:
>> 1) Never heard of UFI and can't find it on my searches (get all kinds
>> of other things).
>> 2) No startup to enter to change settings. Tried every F-key and
>> even the
>> Return. Is there a way into this dinosaur?
>>

> Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set CMOS.
> Perhaps this one does also?

A number of the older machines used "ctrl+s" and "shift+s". I've also
seen "ctrl+alt+s" and "ctrl+alt+b".

HTH.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

baron

Ken Inscribed thus:

> James D. Andrews wrote:
>> "Ken"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:he4aul$u2r$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>>>

>>> Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set
>>> CMOS. Perhaps this one does also?

>> Thanks. That sucks. Actually, this computer sucks. I'm thinking
>> real hard about just giving him one of my old ones and taking my
>> frustrations out on this one.
>>

> If you want to pursue the CMOS setup with a floppy, I may be able to
> help you.

Wow ! I remember the old 086 & 286 that used a floppy to set the BIOS.
Tandon machines if I recall did that. I probably still have those
floppys somewhere if they still work.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Ken

baron wrote:
> Ken Inscribed thus:
>
>> James D. Andrews wrote:
>>> Had a UFI brand P2 early model computer brought by for fixing.
>>> Two things noticed:
>>> 1) Never heard of UFI and can't find it on my searches (get all kinds
>>> of other things).
>>> 2) No startup to enter to change settings. Tried every F-key and
>>> even the
>>> Return. Is there a way into this dinosaur?
>>>

>> Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set CMOS.
>> Perhaps this one does also?

> A number of the older machines used "ctrl+s" and "shift+s". I've also
> seen "ctrl+alt+s" and "ctrl+alt+b".
>
> HTH.

You are right, I had forgotten about the three key CMOS access and the
others. Must be getting old.

Baron

Ken wrote:

> baron wrote:
>> Ken Inscribed thus:

>>> Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set
>>> CMOS.
>>> Perhaps this one does also?

>> A number of the older machines used "ctrl+s" and "shift+s". I've
>> also seen "ctrl+alt+s" and "ctrl+alt+b".
>>
>> HTH.
>>

> You are right, I had forgotten about the three key CMOS access and the
> others. Must be getting old.

That make two of us !

--
Best Regards: