Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Can Vista be made to see FAT32 on external drive?

Re: Can Vista be made to see FAT32 on external drive?

philo

Help Seeker wrote:
> So I sprang for one of those Cables Unlimited devices that is supposed
> to allow me to attach an old IDE hard drive to my system as an
> external drive. The device works. But I can't get to a lot of the data
> on the drives.
>
> On old IDE drives formatted with NTFS I can see everything just fine.
> But I have a bunch of data on drives that are formatted, either
> entirely or partially, with FAT32. Neither my Vista nor my XP machine
> can see the FAT32 partitions, at all. I can see the NTFS partitions on
> drives that have multiple partitions with some being NTFS and others
> being FAT32.
>
> Is there any way I can get Vista, or XP, to see the FAT32 partitions
> and drives? I really want to get the data off those old IDE drives
> that have the FAT32 partitions on them.

Vista and XP can read fat32 so there must be some other issue

have a look in disk management

Bruce--M

Too many primary partitions?
Exceeding the limit is a crime!!

"Help Seeker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:00:22 -0600, philo <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Help Seeker wrote:
>>> So I sprang for one of those Cables Unlimited devices that is supposed
>>> to allow me to attach an old IDE hard drive to my system as an
>>> external drive. The device works. But I can't get to a lot of the data
>>> on the drives.
>>>
>>> On old IDE drives formatted with NTFS I can see everything just fine.
>>> But I have a bunch of data on drives that are formatted, either
>>> entirely or partially, with FAT32. Neither my Vista nor my XP machine
>>> can see the FAT32 partitions, at all. I can see the NTFS partitions on
>>> drives that have multiple partitions with some being NTFS and others
>>> being FAT32.
>>>
>>> Is there any way I can get Vista, or XP, to see the FAT32 partitions
>>> and drives? I really want to get the data off those old IDE drives
>>> that have the FAT32 partitions on them.

>>Vista and XP can read fat32 so there must be some other issue
>>

>>have a look in disk management

> Okay, I've looked in Disk Management on the Vista machine. I have one
> of the old IDE drives hooked up as an external drive and this is what
> I'm seeing:
>
> Shows Disk 6 Basic 76.33 Mb
> There are 3 partitions:
> 1) 15.60 GB FAT32 Healthy (Active, Primary)
> 2) 58.86 GB Healthy (Primary partition)
> 3) 1.87 GB (Healthy Partition)
>
> I can access the12.60 GB partition on that drive. I can't access
> either of the other two partitions.
>
> Now the thing is, this drive has a "WINNT" folder on it. It came from
> a dual boot system. Other known FAT32 IDE drives I've tried to read as
> external drives have just not shown anything at all. I'm wondering if
> the "WINNT" stuff is what's making it visible.
>
> I'm also wondering if the 5 old IDE drives I have are ever going to
> become accessible for me.

John Holmes

Help Seeker "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Vista Disk Manager sees them it doesn't
> assign them a drive letter

Then assign drive letters yourself in Disk Manament.

--
<snip>

John Holmes

Help Seeker "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:10:13 +0100, John Holmes
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Help Seeker "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> Vista Disk Manager sees them it doesn't
>>> assign them a drive letter

>>Then assign drive letters yourself in Disk Manament.

> I can't get to that option. Right now I have an old IDE hard drive
> from my Win98SE computer plugged in. It's a single volume that I know
> I formatted as FAT32.
>
> Disk Manager shows a single partition:
> 111.78 GB Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
> It's listed as Basic but right clicking it or going to "More Actions"
> only shows "Delete Volume" and "Help," all other options are dimmed. I
> can't change the drive letter and I can't reactivate, which is one of
> the options I read about in "Help."
>
> When I go to a command prompt and type "mountvol" that external drive
> is not one that's listed as something I could mount.
>
> When viewing the top pane as a Volume List I see that "File System"
> has no entry. The permanent hard drives all have NTFS in that column.
>
> Device Manager says about this external drive "This device is working
> properly." And it can show the same details as Disk Manager.
>
> So the system sees that a drive is there and can get some of the
> details from it but it can't do anything else with it.

Read this:
http://www.allensmith.net/Storage/HDDlimit/FAT32.htm

--
<snip>

Aardvark

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:29:03 -0500, Help Seeker wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:10:13 +0100, John Holmes
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Help Seeker "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> Vista Disk Manager sees them it doesn't assign them a drive letter

>>Then assign drive letters yourself in Disk Manament.

> I can't get to that option. Right now I have an old IDE hard drive from
> my Win98SE computer plugged in. It's a single volume that I know I
> formatted as FAT32.
>
> Disk Manager shows a single partition: 111.78 GB Healthy (Active,
> Primary Partition) It's listed as Basic but right clicking it or going
> to "More Actions" only shows "Delete Volume" and "Help," all other
> options are dimmed. I can't change the drive letter and I can't
> reactivate, which is one of the options I read about in "Help."
>
> When I go to a command prompt and type "mountvol" that external drive is
> not one that's listed as something I could mount.
>
> When viewing the top pane as a Volume List I see that "File System" has
> no entry. The permanent hard drives all have NTFS in that column.
>
> Device Manager says about this external drive "This device is working
> properly." And it can show the same details as Disk Manager.
>
> So the system sees that a drive is there and can get some of the details
> from it but it can't do anything else with it.

File permissions?

--
Well, of course, this is just the sort of blinkered philistine pig-
ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage! You sit

Anyolmouse

"Help Seeker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 00:19:20 +0100, John Holmes
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Help Seeker "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> >> I can't get to that option. Right now I have an old IDE hard drive
> >> from my Win98SE computer plugged in. It's a single volume that I

know
> >> I formatted as FAT32.
> >>
> >> Disk Manager shows a single partition:
> >> 111.78 GB Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
> >> It's listed as Basic but right clicking it or going to "More

Actions"
> >> only shows "Delete Volume" and "Help," all other options are

dimmed. I
> >> can't change the drive letter and I can't reactivate, which is one

of
> >> the options I read about in "Help."
> >>
> >> When I go to a command prompt and type "mountvol" that external

drive
> >> is not one that's listed as something I could mount.
> >>
> >> When viewing the top pane as a Volume List I see that "File System"
> >> has no entry. The permanent hard drives all have NTFS in that

column.

> >> Device Manager says about this external drive "This device is

working
> >> properly." And it can show the same details as Disk Manager.
> >>
> >> So the system sees that a drive is there and can get some of the
> >> details from it but it can't do anything else with it.

> >Read this:
> >http://www.allensmith.net/Storage/HDDlimit/FAT32.htm

> Okay, thanks for that link. From reading it and some other related
> sites I see that Vista has been purposely crippled to not be able to
> format a hard drive to FAT32 larger than 32 GB.
>
> But does this mean that Vista can't _see_ a HD partition formatted to
> FAT32 that's larger than 32 GB?
>
> This would explain why I have no problems seeing everything on a sixth
> IDE FAT32 hard drive that's only 13.6 GB. This sort of a limit would
> be consistent with my being able to see the first 15.60 GB partition
> on the 76.33 GB hard drive that has 3 partitions on it.
>
> So if Vista, and XP in my experience, can't _see_ a FAT32 partition
> larger than 32 GB then does anyone have any suggestions about how I
> could get to those partitions? I really need to salvage this data.

Doesn't XP offer a one time conversion from FAT32 to NTFS? Does VISTA
offer the same? The reason I am asking is I still am running ME here on
FAT32 and read somewhere if I updated to XP I could choose to continue
running FAT32 or change to NTFS.

--
We have met the enemy and he is us-- Pogo

Anyolmouse

Ardent

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:16:03 -0500, Help Seeker
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:31:28 +1030, "Bruce--M" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Too many primary partitions?
>>Exceeding the limit is a crime!!

>Well. it's what Vista Disk Manager is saying.
>
>Any suggestions about what I can do about getting the system to see
>these hard drives?

Get Partition Manager version 2.40 from Ranish.com. If you have a
bootable floppy, put this on and boot the machine.

If no floppy then you have to make a bootable CD.

Ranish's partition manager will tell you whether the partition is
hidden - sometimes it happens partitions get hidden.

Change the partition to FAT32 and you are done.

Note: In spite of the program being tiny it is very powerful and if
you do not know how to use the program you are likely to lose data.
RTFM is the way to go.

--
Archer
Hard disk management with DOS tools