Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Page file on 64 Bit System

Page file on 64 Bit System

Jon Mitchell

Hi.

Just a quick question. Does anybody have any idea as to what the recommended
page files size should be for a 64 bit Windows 7 system with 8Gb of RAM?
Would it be old 1.5 x that RAM formula or is this different on a 64 bit
system?

Ta.
--
BadHead
---

OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2003 Professional SP3

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair (BIOS Revision: 1103)
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9850 Black Edition
RAM: 8Gb
GPU: Asus ENGTX280 nVidia 280
HDD: 2.50TB (Over 5 SATAII Western Digital HDD's)
===

John John - MVP

There is no rule of thumb or recommended size for 64-bit machines with
large amounts of RAM, you should monitor pagefile usage and then set
your pagefile accordingly.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889654
How to determine the appropriate page file size for 64-bit versions of
Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP

John

Jon Mitchell wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Just a quick question. Does anybody have any idea as to what the
> recommended page files size should be for a 64 bit Windows 7 system with
> 8Gb of RAM? Would it be old 1.5 x that RAM formula or is this different
> on a 64 bit system?
>
> Ta.

R. C. White

Hi, Jon.

Why not let Win7 manage the page file?

I've not manually set a page file in at least a couple of years - in WinXP,
Vista and Win7, all x64 except for an occasional reboot into x86. I've been
running Win7 Ultimate x64 for over a year (including the pre-beta) with 4
GB, and have had no problems with letting Win7 manage virtual memory. In
fact, I haven't even looked at my page file settings since installing Win7
RTM in August.

In the olden days, I used to be sure to put the page file on a second HDD so
that the system could read from/write to my application and the page file
simultaneously. My system now has 2 standalone drives, where several
Windows versions are installed, plus a 2-drive Raid 1 mirror holding several
data volumes. (Just now, I checked my settings and saw that my page file is
on Drive C:, my Win7 Boot Volume on the first standalone HDD. I changed the
setting to System Managed on both C: and F:, the first partition on the
other standalone HDD, but haven't rebooted, so the change hasn't taken
effect yet. If this creates a problem, I'll come back and post an update.)

We all use Windows differently, of course, and I've never had more than 4
GB, so your experience could be much different from mine. What do you have
or do that would not work correctly if you let Win7 manage your page file?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Jon Mitchell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> Just a quick question. Does anybody have any idea as to what the
> recommended page files size should be for a 64 bit Windows 7 system with
> 8Gb of RAM? Would it be old 1.5 x that RAM formula or is this different on
> a 64 bit system?
>
> Ta.
> --
> BadHead
> ---
>
> OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
> Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2003 Professional SP3
>
> Motherboard: Asus Crosshair (BIOS Revision: 1103)
> CPU: AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9850 Black Edition
> RAM: 8Gb
> GPU: Asus ENGTX280 nVidia 280
> HDD: 2.50TB (Over 5 SATAII Western Digital HDD's)

bluefin

Hi,

For more efficient utilization of CPU, set to its 'recommended
allocated'.

Cheers.