Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > how to monitor traffic going through a switch port

how to monitor traffic going through a switch port

Doug McIntyre

Al <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>tg,
> Thanks for the reply, I'm going to try that out.

>I'm surprised that an external PC is required to view traffic passing
>through the switch. Surely, there is a DEBUG command that could do
>what I need. That way, an admin can monitor traffic passing through a
>router or switch at a different physical location. I find it hard to
>believe that today's technology requires a physical connection to a
>device to see what's going on inside.

Its really not needed that much, and it would require a huge number of
resources on a box that is hardware dedicated to getting traffic in
and switched through quickly.

If you had such a feature, you'd have to be prepared to reduce
throughput on the hardware by many factors of 10 so that it could keep up.

Al

tg,

I tried your commands, as soon as I type "monitor session 1
destination interface Fa0/8" that port shuts down. The PC (using
etherial) I have connected to port 8 therefore see no traffic at all.
Does Port 8 need to be configured in a specific way, i.e. spanning-
tree portfast, or switchport mode access, or some other command?

Al

alexd

Meanwhile, at the comp.dcom.sys.cisco Job Justification Hearings, Al chose the
tried and tested strategy of:

> I'm surprised that an external PC is required to view traffic passing
> through the switch.

Netflow can be used to see a summary of traffic [ie not each individual packet],
but you would have to check the Feature Navigator to see if it's supported on
your platform.

20:07:49 up 26 days, 3:27, 7 users, load average: 0.86, 0.98, 0.81
Plant food is a made up drug