Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Consistent Look and Feel

Consistent Look and Feel

Nick

Hi,

I am wondering what people do to achieve a consistent look and feel for
their websites? Does anybody here do anything similar to the Composite View
design pattern, where a view renderer effectively reads a configuration and
builds up the HTML by choosing particular views based on state and other
factors? I am working on an ecommerce site, and there are quite a few
different screens. In the vanilla fashion, the HTML in the aspx forms is
duplicated, and I would like to avoid this.

If anybody has any advice, links to papers etc on this stuff I would be
extremely grateful.

Thanks

Nick.

Victor Garcia Aprea [MVP]

Hi Nick,

Take a look at MasterPages; here[1] you'll find lots of useful links to it.

[1] http://weblogs.asp.net/vga/archive/2003/05/20/7334.aspx

--
Victor Garcia Aprea
Microsoft MVP | ASP.NET

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering what people do to achieve a consistent look and feel for
> their websites? Does anybody here do anything similar to the Composite

View
> design pattern, where a view renderer effectively reads a configuration

and
> builds up the HTML by choosing particular views based on state and other
> factors? I am working on an ecommerce site, and there are quite a few
> different screens. In the vanilla fashion, the HTML in the aspx forms is
> duplicated, and I would like to avoid this.
>
> If anybody has any advice, links to papers etc on this stuff I would be
> extremely grateful.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick.

Michael

This all goes away with Whidbey and Master Pages, but for now I'm doing
something like this

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/page_templates.asp

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering what people do to achieve a consistent look and feel for
> their websites? Does anybody here do anything similar to the Composite

View
> design pattern, where a view renderer effectively reads a configuration

and
> builds up the HTML by choosing particular views based on state and other
> factors? I am working on an ecommerce site, and there are quite a few
> different screens. In the vanilla fashion, the HTML in the aspx forms is
> duplicated, and I would like to avoid this.
>
> If anybody has any advice, links to papers etc on this stuff I would be
> extremely grateful.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick.

Munsifali Rashid

I'm using the same method, which works well, though the auto tag completion
doesn't seem to work in HTML view of ASPX pages. Probably because the
<HTML> tags have been put into the basepage. Sometimes this means that I
end up developing stuff on a test page which derives from the normal
System.Web.UI.Page class (and includes the HTML tags), before moving it into
another aspx page which derives from my custom base page (eg.
Mun.Web.UI.Template), where the HTML tags are in the template page.

Do you get the same behaviour, and/or any ideas to get around the tag
completion problem?

Cheers,

Mun

--
Munsifali Rashid
http://www.munsplace.com/

"Michael" <raterus@localhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This all goes away with Whidbey and Master Pages, but for now I'm doing
> something like this
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/page_templates.asp

Nick

Thanks for the link Victor.

"Victor Garcia Aprea [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Nick,
>
> Take a look at MasterPages; here[1] you'll find lots of useful links to

it.

> [1] http://weblogs.asp.net/vga/archive/2003/05/20/7334.aspx
>
> --
> Victor Garcia Aprea
> Microsoft MVP | ASP.NET
> Looking for insights on ASP.NET? Read my blog:
> http://obies.com/vga/blog.aspx
>
> To contact me remove 'NOSPAM'. Please post all questions to the newsgroup
> "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am wondering what people do to achieve a consistent look and feel for
> > their websites? Does anybody here do anything similar to the Composite

> View
> > design pattern, where a view renderer effectively reads a configuration

> and
> > builds up the HTML by choosing particular views based on state and other
> > factors? I am working on an ecommerce site, and there are quite a few
> > different screens. In the vanilla fashion, the HTML in the aspx forms

is
> > duplicated, and I would like to avoid this.
> >
> > If anybody has any advice, links to papers etc on this stuff I would be
> > extremely grateful.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Nick.

Nick