Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to get sound off laptop without using earplug output?

How to get sound off laptop without using earplug output?

The Stone Crusher

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running XP Professional SP3. I am having
trouble using the 'headset-earplug' outputs and would like to be able to
take the sound off the laptop in some other way. I want to play MP3s.

Is there some kind of USB adapter and software that can do this?

I have the following facilities on the laptop:

Network Connecting Jack

Express Card Slot

S-Video TV out connector

4 - USB 2.0 connectors

VGA connector

Network connector

Modem connector

HDMI connector

IEEE 1394 connector

8 -in-1 Media card reader

Goodwill,

Luke

VanguardLH

The Stone Crusher wrote:

> ... would like to be able to take the sound off the laptop in some
> other way. ... Is there some kind of USB adapter and software that
> can do this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=usb+speaker

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=usb+headset

The Stone Crusher

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:he164p$1q5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Stone Crusher wrote:
>
>> ... would like to be able to take the sound off the laptop in some
>> other way. ... Is there some kind of USB adapter and software that
>> can do this?

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=usb+speaker
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=usb+headset

Thanks for the suggestions. They will certainly work.

I believe I did it again! Not enough info.

What I am actually trying to do is to take the sound from the laptop to an
mixer/amp. It seems to me that the headsets suggested would not be
needed(?). If I had the software that probably comes with the headsets I
could make a USB connecting wire with a 1/4 inch audio plug on the other
end.

Does this sound reasonable? Or does the USB headset have to be 'recognized'
by XP in order to install a driver of some sort?

Thanks, again.

VanguardLH

The Stone Crusher wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> The Stone Crusher wrote:
>>
>>> ... would like to be able to take the sound off the laptop in some
>>> other way. ... Is there some kind of USB adapter and software that
>>> can do this?

>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=usb+speaker
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=usb+headset

> What I am actually trying to do is to take the sound from the laptop to an
> mixer/amp. It seems to me that the headsets suggested would not be
> needed(?). If I had the software that probably comes with the headsets I
> could make a USB connecting wire with a 1/4 inch audio plug on the other
> end.
>
> Does this sound reasonable? Or does the USB headset have to be 'recognized'
> by XP in order to install a driver of some sort?

You can't do the conversion from digital signals for USB to analog
signals for your amp input by just using a cable. Wires don't convert
between digital and analog. A DAC (digital-to-analog converter) is
needed.

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5735260
http://tinyurl.com/ygfwj6j

I'll leave further web searches to you. So what's wrong with the analog
audio output jack in the laptop?

The Stone Crusher

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:he164p$1q5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Stone Crusher wrote:
>
>> ... would like to be able to take the sound off the laptop in some
>> other way. ... Is there some kind of USB adapter and software that
>> can do this?

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=usb+speaker
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=usb+headset

Ouch! Behringher has a couple of offerings that are exactly what I was
looking for. You just can't find things if you don't look correctly!!!

Many thanks