Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: "Prison-mouth" get you taken care of

Re: "Prison-mouth" get you taken care of

richard

This is one reason why I no longer do file sharing.
The newer programs have all been written and designed to peek into another
machine without the consent or knowledge of the owner.
For instance, a popular program known as bittorrent, includes a file that
even if you are not online with the program, still allows others to see
your files. Once I found out that was happening, I ditched the program and
had to remove the other program as well seperately.

But I question the tactics used by the police in this case. Does law
enforcement have the legal right to see your private files without your
knowledge, without a warrant?
Do note, the warrant issued was after the police had found the alleged
criminal material. Did the police lie in order to obtain that warrant?

Many law enforcement people wrongfully believe that mere nudity is illegal.
This is not true. The laws of the US quite clearly spell out what is legal
and what is not.

Without being able to view the images in question, I could not say if they
were legal or not. And you know that ain't gonna happen.

As for the punishment, I believe is overkill. Putting a person in prison
for possession of 1 illegal image for even 5 years is to harsh. That would
be like being sent to prison for jaywalking.

Ok moral majority. Your turn to speak up.

iL_weReo

On Nov 18, 2:43*am, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> e...@******************************* says...
>

> > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:49:53 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> > >This is one reason why I no longer do file sharing.

> > Since you didn't quote any of the post you're replying to, and I for
> > one didn't see the post you're replying to, I for one have no clue
> > what you're talking about.

> I guess that makes two of you. RtS never knows what he's blathering about..
>
> <snip>

I usually do.

Keith

On 2009-11-18, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> But I question the tactics used by the police in this case. Does law
> enforcement have the legal right to see your private files without your
> knowledge, without a warrant?

If you publish them on the Internet for any one to see the police can
look at the files also with no warrant. It is no different then taking the
photographs and standing on a street corner for all to see in the eyes of
the law.

> Do note, the warrant issued was after the police had found the alleged
> criminal material. Did the police lie in order to obtain that warrant?

No, if you make something publicly available on the Internet the police
can look at it with no warrant. They need a warrant to seize the evidence
in your house and with the photographs posted publicly on the Internet
that gives them probable cause for a warrant.
The only time they need a warrant to view the contents of your computer
is if you require a password to view the material and they don't have the
password, but if the person that owns the computer publishes that password
then the police can use the password to examine your computer.

Basically *public* file sharing on your computer is no different then
publishing the contents on a blog or web site.

--
Best Regards, Keith | http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
Tired of Google Groups? Use free Usenet access & programs.

iL_weReo

On Nov 18, 6:17*am, Keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2009-11-18, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > But I question the tactics used by the police in this case. Does law
> > enforcement have the legal right to see your private files without your
> > knowledge, without a warrant?

> *If you publish them on the Internet for any one to see the police can
> look at the files also with no warrant. It is no different then taking the
> photographs and standing on a street corner for all to see in the eyes of
> the law.
>
> > Do note, the warrant issued was after the police had found the alleged
> > criminal material. Did the police lie in order to obtain that warrant?

> *No, if you make something publicly available on the Internet the police
> can look at it with no warrant. They need a warrant to seize the evidence
> in your house and with the photographs posted publicly on the Internet
> that gives them probable cause for a warrant.
> *The only time they need a warrant to view the contents of your computer
> is if you require a password to view the material and they don't have the
> password, but if the person that owns the computer publishes that password
> then the police can use the password to examine your computer.
>
> *Basically *public* file sharing on your computer is no different then
> publishing the contents on a blog or web site.
>
> --
> Best Regards, Keith * |http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
> Tired of Google Groups? Use free Usenet access & programs.http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/usenet.html

Gawd DUMB!

The Chief Instigator

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:09:21 -0500, WeReo_ScoTTy <(E-Mail Removed)_spamm84037uj> wrote:
> "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uJQMm.231000$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com...
>> On 2009-11-18, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> But I question the tactics used by the police in this case. Does law
>>> enforcement have the legal right to see your private files without your
>>> knowledge, without a warrant?

>> If you publish them on the Internet for any one to see the police can
>> look at the files also with no warrant. It is no different then taking the
>> photographs and standing on a street corner for all to see in the eyes of
>> the law.
>>
>>> Do note, the warrant issued was after the police had found the alleged
>>> criminal material. Did the police lie in order to obtain that warrant?

>> No, if you make something publicly available on the Internet the police
>> can look at it with no warrant. They need a warrant to seize the evidence
>> in your house and with the photographs posted publicly on the Internet
>> that gives them probable cause for a warrant.
>> The only time they need a warrant to view the contents of your computer
>> is if you require a password to view the material and they don't have the
>> password, but if the person that owns the computer publishes that password
>> then the police can use the password to examine your computer.
>>
>> Basically *public* file sharing on your computer is no different then
>> publishing the contents on a blog or web site.

> Our "resident PeD" Terry Herzog refused to part with his password even after
> the bust. Shows you how hardnosed he is.
>
> The next time the police and/or feds go to 671 Waycross Road in Cincinatti
> will be their last.

What's the problem? You obviously wouldn't qualify for existing in
Lockland...and this native Kentuckian learned to spell Cincinnati a decade
or two before you.

--
Patrick L. "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey ((E-Mail Removed)) Houston, Texas
www.io.com/~patrick/aeros.php (TCI's 2008-09 Houston Aeros) AA#2273

iL_weReo

On Nov 20, 10:50*am, "§nühw¤£f" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile ofnews:(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:24:33 -0600, The Old Sourdough
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

> >> Meat Plow mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> >>St00pid isn't smart enough to turn off his client and stop
> >>seeding.

> > He's lucky to be smart enough to place one foot in front of the
> > other to create forward motion.

> Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..."forward motion".....
> mmmmmmm
>
> <eyes roll back in head>