Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google Street View. Was that their car I saw yesterday?

Google Street View. Was that their car I saw yesterday?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
>>> If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
>>> the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
>>> ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
>>> optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
>>> intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards
>>> it, so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used
>>> images from one of the other passes of that intersection.

>> My eyes aren't what they used to be. T'was this vehicle [trimmed
>> pic, had a person in it]:
>>
>> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1258539850.jpg
>>
>> Really bad timing, sun glare on the phone screen, I didn't realise
>> it was behind the tree.
>>
>> I read that it takes around three months for the new images to get
>> uploaded. Apparently they're all viewed by a human first now,
>> prbably to make sure that they don't have fornicating dogs or
>> something similar in shot....

> Ah, I see the problem, you're running windows, if you were running
> HollywoodOS you could zoom in, sharpen the image, zoom some more and
> read the logo on the door, and probably see the gunman on the grassy
> knoll in the reflection of the windscreen

LOL! Oddly enough a very similar thing went through my head when I was
uploading the pic.

GMTA huh? <g>
--
Shaun.

bAZZ

In article <he0i8h$6hl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
> > ~misfit~ wrote:
> >> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked
> >> like fancy camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned
> >> around, drove down an adjacent one and then continued back down the
> >> street. There was a small sign on the door of the car but my eyes
> >> aren't what they used to be...

> > If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
> > the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
> > ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
> > optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
> > intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it,
> > so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used images
> > from one of the other passes of that intersection.

> In the pic I just posted it looks quite big, actually it was a small car.

Hey Shaun

Either they have more than one of these little black Barinas or the one
you saw is very very quik as I saw the very same car about 10 days ago
when out walking dog. Tried to get close but it moved on too quick and
was gone. The tripod seemed really large for the car and I wondered how
it would cope with wind etc. Was obviously a mapping vehicle of some
sorts so your post would seem to point to google.

Oh way down south here in Mosgiel is where I spotted it. He he if I'd
thought quickly would have done something too ( theatrical LOL ). One of
my boys mates is in the older views of the streets out here riding his
bike. They enjoyed seeing someone they know and his folks were upset was
caught with helmet hanging from handle bars <g>.

I wonder if others are caught out in awkward or compromising acts thru
this. Must be a few I'd guess.

bAZZ

ps. Just getting back online again full time so will drop you a line
shortly. Gotta give me oldest back this laptop once school is out for
day. Selfish little rats these teenagers. Trust alls well with you
anyway mate. Later.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs bAZZ wrote:
> In article <he0i8h$6hl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
>>>
>>> If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
>>> the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
>>> ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
>>> optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
>>> intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards
>>> it, so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used
>>> images from one of the other passes of that intersection.

>> In the pic I just posted it looks quite big, actually it was a small
>> car.

> Hey Shaun

bAZZ! Good to 'see' you mate!

> Either they have more than one of these little black Barinas or the
> one you saw is very very quik as I saw the very same car about 10
> days ago when out walking dog. Tried to get close but it moved on too
> quick and was gone. The tripod seemed really large for the car and I
> wondered how it would cope with wind etc. Was obviously a mapping
> vehicle of some sorts so your post would seem to point to google.

Yeah, I think they have more than one and it's possible that they were
bought over from Aus as they've just finished re-photographing over there (I
think). Yep, it's a pretty big tripod structure on top, not the sort of
thing you'd miss.

I've Googled for the article I read a few weeks back (irony) and it's here:

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...1106-i1e0.html

Holden Astras in Aus at least. I think that's what I saw, at least the
'tripod' part anyway.

> Oh way down south here in Mosgiel is where I spotted it. He he if I'd
> thought quickly would have done something too ( theatrical LOL ). One
> of my boys mates is in the older views of the streets out here riding
> his bike. They enjoyed seeing someone they know and his folks were
> upset was caught with helmet hanging from handle bars <g>.
>
> I wonder if others are caught out in awkward or compromising acts thru
> this. Must be a few I'd guess.

Yeah, there are stories... Some guy was caught walking out of a sex shop and
his wife didn't get any gifts (or similar). I remember when it first went
live a couple years back that Google had to photoshop a few people out...

> ps. Just getting back online again full time so will drop you a line
> shortly. Gotta give me oldest back this laptop once school is out for
> day. Selfish little rats these teenagers. Trust alls well with you
> anyway mate. Later.

Cool. Yeah, life's bearable. <g> It'll be good to hear from you.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed Digital Photography 3 10-31-2007 10:50 AM
CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed C++ 0 10-31-2007 02:25 AM
Street Date? We don't have to honor no stinkin' street date! One-Shot Scot DVD Video 3 05-23-2004 11:56 AM

Advertisments