Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google Street View. Was that their car I saw yesterday?

Google Street View. Was that their car I saw yesterday?

~misfit~

At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked like fancy
camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned around, drove down an
adjacent one and then continued back down the street. There was a small sign
on the door of the car but my eyes aren't what they used to be...

I also tried to get a snap of it as it came out of the adjacent cul-de-sac
but my 1.3MP phone camera's screen is hard to see in sunlight and I got a
pic of the car with the tripod obscured by a tree and the resolution isn't
good enough to read the sign.

I know that all of the Australian cities have been re-photographed in the
last couple months by Google as I saw an article on t'webs about the fact
that, at each city's Google offices the staff know when the car's coming
past and most put on a bit of a 'display' outside that will be in the pics.
The article said that most cities around the world are being re-photographed
with better resolution cameras.

Anyone know anything about this? I would have put on my own little 'display'
if I'd know that they were coming. If it was them at least the pics will be
better than the current ones of my home, Last time t'was winter, grey and
muddy and the gardens were a mess. (Perhaps I should get a screenshot of the
current one in case it is updated.) Same 25 y/o car in the drive though. :-/
Heh! At least when it went for it's WOF last week it didn't need any work
done, a clean bill of health.

After it left I was pondering what an amazing archive Google Street View
will be for future archaeologists. So much data on a very personal level. An
amazing project.
--
Shaun.

Donchano

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:13:27 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked like fancy
>camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned around, drove down an
>adjacent one and then continued back down the street. There was a small sign
>on the door of the car but my eyes aren't what they used to be...

Just out of curiosity, what area was that?

PS - The problem I've encountered using Google Earth for NZ is that
much of it is obscured by clouds ... as in Aotearoa.

Squiggle

~misfit~ wrote:
> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked like fancy
> camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned around, drove down an
> adjacent one and then continued back down the street. There was a small sign
> on the door of the car but my eyes aren't what they used to be...

If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks ago.
Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of optics and
electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the intersection I
drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it, so either they
haven't updated the database yet, or they used images from one of the
other passes of that intersection.

Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science
fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?
Kelvin Throop III

Donchano

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:30:03 +1300, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Donchano wrote:
>

>> PS - The problem I've encountered using Google Earth for NZ is that
>> much of it is obscured by clouds ... as in Aotearoa.

>As in Pink Floyd.

At least it's not just another brick.

AD.

On Nov 18, 1:10*pm, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
> the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks ago.
> * Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of optics and
> electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the intersection I
> drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it, so either they
> haven't updated the database yet, or they used images from one of the
> other passes of that intersection.

And if it is a white 4WD, it is probably one of Terralinks ones. But
the one I saw was covered in a lot of signwriting about what it was
for, so if it was one of theirs you probably wouldn't need to ask

--
Cheers
Anton

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked
>> like fancy camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned
>> around, drove down an adjacent one and then continued back down the
>> street. There was a small sign on the door of the car but my eyes
>> aren't what they used to be...

> If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
> the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
> ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
> optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
> intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it,
> so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used images
> from one of the other passes of that intersection.

My eyes aren't what they used to be. T'was this vehicle [trimmed pic, had a
person in it]:

http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1258539850.jpg

Really bad timing, sun glare on the phone screen, I didn't realise it was
behind the tree.

I read that it takes around three months for the new images to get uploaded.
Apparently they're all viewed by a human first now, prbably to make sure
that they don't have fornicating dogs or something similar in shot....
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked
>> like fancy camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned
>> around, drove down an adjacent one and then continued back down the
>> street. There was a small sign on the door of the car but my eyes
>> aren't what they used to be...

> If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
> the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
> ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
> optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
> intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it,
> so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used images
> from one of the other passes of that intersection.

In the pic I just posted it looks quite big, actually it was a small car.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:13:27 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked
>> like fancy camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned
>> around, drove down an adjacent one and then continued back down the
>> street. There was a small sign on the door of the car but my eyes
>> aren't what they used to be...

> Just out of curiosity, what area was that?

Pukekohe.

> PS - The problem I've encountered using Google Earth for NZ is that
> much of it is obscured by clouds ... as in Aotearoa.

LOL, yeah, depending on the area. My home and section are quite clear.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

Matty F

On Nov 18, 12:13 pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked like fancy
> camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned around, drove down an
> adjacent one and then continued back down the street.

The guy in the US who had kidnapped that girl for years saw the
Streetview car and followed it in his van. So there are lots of
pictures of his van!

Squiggle

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> At around 2:38pm a car with a roof-mounted tripod and what looked
>>> like fancy camera gear attached drove up this cul-de-sac, turned
>>> around, drove down an adjacent one and then continued back down the
>>> street. There was a small sign on the door of the car but my eyes
>>> aren't what they used to be...

>> If the car is a black (holden barina?) hatchback it most probably is
>> the/a google maps car. I saw one driving around my area a few weeks
>> ago. Had a google logo on the door and a very noticable tower of
>> optics and electronics on the roof. Just checked google maps at the
>> intersection I drove past it and can't see myself driving towards it,
>> so either they haven't updated the database yet, or they used images
>> from one of the other passes of that intersection.

> My eyes aren't what they used to be. T'was this vehicle [trimmed pic, had a
> person in it]:
>
> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1258539850.jpg
>
> Really bad timing, sun glare on the phone screen, I didn't realise it was
> behind the tree.
>
> I read that it takes around three months for the new images to get uploaded.
> Apparently they're all viewed by a human first now, prbably to make sure
> that they don't have fornicating dogs or something similar in shot....

Ah, I see the problem, you're running windows, if you were running
HollywoodOS you could zoom in, sharpen the image, zoom some more and
read the logo on the door, and probably see the gunman on the grassy
knoll in the reflection of the windscreen

Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science
fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?
Kelvin Throop III

CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed Digital Photography 3 10-31-2007 10:50 AM
CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed C++ 0 10-31-2007 02:25 AM
Street Date? We don't have to honor no stinkin' street date! One-Shot Scot DVD Video 3 05-23-2004 11:56 AM

Advertisments