Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Newsgroup for beginners

Newsgroup for beginners

Ethan Furman

Aahz wrote:
> In article <hdt6tb$9du$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Grant Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>You've really got to try pretty hard to create one. But if you
>>want to, here's how to do it:
>>
>>1) Start by complaining that your program doesn't work because
>> of a bug in Python.
>>
>> [...]

> Post of the month!

I'll second that! I really needed a good laugh. Many thanks!

bruno.desthuilliers@gmail.com

On 20 nov, 20:42, Ethan Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Aahz wrote:
> > In article <hdt6tb$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Grant Edwards *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>You've really got to try pretty hard to create one. *But if you
> >>want to, here's how to do it:

> >>1) Start by complaining that your program doesn't work because
> >> * of a bug in Python.

> >> [...]

> > Post of the month!

> I'll second that! *I really needed a good laugh. *Many thanks!

So I'll thrice it - FWIW it indeed made it's way to the weekly python
(thanks the python-url team), but deserves much more than that. I was
so hilarious my son came out of it's room and even tried to read the
post by himself - I just wasn't able to calm down and explain him what
this was about.

Grant, if we ever meet, remind me to pay you a couple beers. Cheers !

John Machin

On Nov 17, 2:56*pm, Grant Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2009-11-17, Paul Rubin <http> wrote:
>
> > mrholtsr <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >> Is there a Python newsgroup for those who are strictly beginners at
> >> programming and python?

> > This group has its grouchy moments

> You've really got to try pretty hard to create one. *But if you
> want to, here's how to do it:

[snip]
> *2) Python programs are portable, so don't reveal what OS or
> * * Python version you're using. *People will ask. Just ignore
> * * them.

Don't supply a traceback, lest you inadvertently divulge such
information (and more!) e.g.

File "C:\python26\lib\encodings\cp1252.py", line 15, in decode

A good safeguard against accidental disclosure of your Python version
is to avoid using the default installation folder:

File "C:\snake_teehee_ima_comedian\lib\etc_etc"

This technique, used in a question like "How can I have multiple
versions of Python installed" gives a good chance of getting a grumpy
response.