Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Plastic turns boys into "nancy boys."

Plastic turns boys into "nancy boys."

Charles

"John A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 03:55:05 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

Giga snip here

> So... don't lick your camera?

Right on and don't put your tongue on the metal railing in Bemidji in
January.

Twibil

On Nov 17, 1:16*pm, "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Right on and don't put your tongue on the metal railing in Bemidji in
> January.

So this means that you *do* put your tongue on metal railings in other
places and at other times?

Oog!

John A.

wrote:

> [...]
>curtains.
>
>The findings are reported in the International Journal of Andrology.
>
>Plastic furniture
>
>Phthalates have the ability to disrupt hormones, and have been banned
>in toys in the EU for some years.
>
>However, they are still widely used in many different household items,
>including plastic furniture and packaging.
>
>There are many different types and some mimic the female hormone
>oestrogen.
> This feminising capacity of phthalates makes them true 'gender
>benders'
>Elizabeth Salter-Green, director of CHEM Trust
>
>The same researchers have already shown that this can mean boys are
>born with genital abnormalities.
>
>Now they say certain phthalates also impact on the developing brain,
>by knocking out the action of the male hormone testosterone.
>
>Dr Shanna Swan and her team tested urine samples from mothers over
>midway through pregnancy for traces of phthalates.
>
>The women, who gave birth to 74 boys and 71 girls, were followed up
>when their children were aged four to seven and asked about the toys
>the youngsters played with and the games they enjoyed.
>
>Girls' play
>
>They found that two phthalates DEHP and DBP can affect play behaviour.
>
>Boys exposed to high levels of these in the womb were less likely than
>other boys to play with cars, trains and guns or engage in "rougher"
>games like playfighting.
>PHTHALATES
># There are many different types and the most commonly used are deemed
>entirely safe by regulators
># DEHP - used to make PVC soft and pliable and used in products like
>flooring
># DBP - used as a plasticiser in glues, dyes and textiles
>
>Elizabeth Salter-Green, director of the chemicals campaign group CHEM
>Trust, said the results were worrying.
>
>"We now know that phthalates, to which we are all constantly exposed,
>are extremely worrying from a health perspective, leading to
>disruption of male reproduction health and, it appears, male behaviour
>too.
>
>"This feminising capacity of phthalates makes them true 'gender
>benders'."
>
>She acknowledged that the boys who have been studied were still young,
>but she said reduced masculine play at this age might lead to other
>feminised developments in later life.
>
>But Tim Edgar, of the European Council for Plasticisers and
>Intermediates, said: "We need to get some scientific experts to look
>at this study in more detail before we can make a proper judgement."
>
>He said there were many different phthalates in use and the study
>concerned two of the less commonly used types that were on the EU
>candidate list as potentially hazardous and needing authorisation for
>use.
>
>DBP has been banned from use in cosmetics, such as nail varnish, since

A more detailed article on the science:

http://sciencenews.org/view/generic/...less_masculine

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yfoskgk