Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python gui builders

python gui builders

me

Good People

I do not write stuff for humans, as it has been my job to remove
humans from the loop. But I have to make a front end to a
component database where everything was built in Python.

I have looked at the Tk stuff that is built into Python -> not
acceptable. So looking at wxGlade, Boa Constructor, Python Card.
Also looked at the frames/forms created with QtDesigner, which
can be used by Python via pyuic. BlackAdder IDE seems to have
this built-in, but am loathe to buy into another GUI tool for a
single job.

I have not been able to find a decent Python gui builder. The
last time I did gui garbage was with Borland C++ Builder which
was ok because I was only using win boxen for that project. This
time I am using both Linux and Win.

What Python gui builder is well supported, does not require me
to learn another framework/library, and can crank out stuff for
multiple platforms ?

thanks much,
me

sturlamolden

On 16 Nov, 11:06, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What Python gui builder is well supported, does not require me
> to learn another framework/library, and can crank out stuff for
> multiple platforms ?

I use wxFormBuilder. The 3.1 beta can even create wxPython code, but
it still has some minor issues (e.g. not always creating correct code
due to missing "self.").

wxFormBuilder 3.0 can create XRC files, which work excellently with
wxPython. The drawback is that you must bind event handlers manually,
instead of having it done automatically (as you can with Python code
generation in 3.1 beta).

If you are fine with GPL, or can afford the commercial license, there
is QtDesigner which works with PyQt. This is a fantastic cross-
platform GUI tool, if not hte best there is.

If you are fine with Microsoft only, you can use Windows Forms with MS
Visual Studio and IronPython.

If you can use Jython, there are many tools for working with Java
Swing or SWT.

sturlamolden

On 16 Nov, 11:39, sturlamolden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you are fine with Microsoft only, you can use Windows Forms with MS
> Visual Studio and IronPython.

I also forgot to mention:

If you can restrict yourself to Windows, you can always use Visual
Basic or Borland Delphi with pywin32. Either expose your GUI as an
ActiveX to pywin32 (you have e.g. an MFC binding) or expose your
Python as an ActiveX to VB/Delphi. The same approach should work (with
a little bit more work) for C# and VB.NET.

me

Read the OP. No, read it again.

sturlamolden wrote:
> On 16 Nov, 11:39, sturlamolden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If you are fine with Microsoft only, you can use Windows Forms with MS
>> Visual Studio and IronPython.

> I also forgot to mention:
>
> If you can restrict yourself to Windows, you can always use Visual
> Basic or Borland Delphi with pywin32. Either expose your GUI as an
> ActiveX to pywin32 (you have e.g. an MFC binding) or expose your
> Python as an ActiveX to VB/Delphi. The same approach should work (with
> a little bit more work) for C# and VB.NET.

Simon Hibbs

On 16 Nov, 10:06, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What Python gui builder is well supported, does not require me
> to learn another framework/library, and can crank out stuff for
> multiple platforms ?

You're looking for a framework/library that doesn't require you to
learn it. OK....

I've had this problem for a few years. I've tried PythonCard,
WxWidgets with WxDesigner, BoaConstructor, etc. None of them come
anywhere close to PyQT/QTDesigner.

Dion't get Blackadder It hasn't been updated for several years and is
a dead project. In any case it uses QTDesigner for GUI layout anyway.
You're better off using Eric or Wing if you want a decent IDE.

QT does have a learning curve of course, but you get a lot of power
back in return for the investment. I'm just coming to grips with it's
MVC framework and the book "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt"
is very helpful with that.

I wouldn't completely dismiss Tkinter. It's too simple for complex
GUIs but I still think it has it's place for basic utilities.

Simon Hibbs

On Nov 17, 12:20*pm, Simon Hibbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I wouldn't completely dismiss Tkinter. It's too simple for complex
> GUIs but I still think it has it's place for basic utilities.

Agreed! Tkinter (besides myself) seems to be the whipping boy of
c.l.py. Tkinter has it's place in Python because of the same
simplicity people laboriously lament about! Until something else comes
along that can offer the same benefits of Tkinter and a little extra,
we are going to keep seeing Tkinter release after release. Guido knows
what he is doing people, don't sell the guy short!

CM

On Nov 16, 5:06*am, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Good People
>
> I do not write stuff for humans, as it has been my job to remove
> humans from the loop. But I have to make a front end to a
> component database where everything was built in Python.
>
> I have looked at the Tk stuff that is built into Python -> not
> acceptable. So looking at wxGlade, Boa Constructor, Python Card.
> Also looked at the frames/forms created with QtDesigner, which
> can be used by Python via pyuic. BlackAdder IDE seems to have
> this built-in, but am loathe to buy into another GUI tool for a
> single job.
>
> I have not been able to find a decent Python gui builder. The

What was your issue with Boa Constructor? It produces wxPython
code and I find it works quite well (less well on Linux, but if
you use it in Windows, the app will run in Linux w/ minimal need
for changes).

Of course, whatever route you go, you have to learn the widget
toolkit.

Che

Joel Davis

On Nov 16, 5:06*am, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Good People
>
> I do not write stuff for humans, as it has been my job to remove
> humans from the loop. But I have to make a front end to a
> component database where everything was built in Python.
>
> I have looked at the Tk stuff that is built into Python -> not
> acceptable. So looking at wxGlade, Boa Constructor, Python Card.
> Also looked at the frames/forms created with QtDesigner, which
> can be used by Python via pyuic. BlackAdder IDE seems to have
> this built-in, but am loathe to buy into another GUI tool for a
> single job.
>
> I have not been able to find a decent Python gui builder. The
> last time I did gui garbage was with Borland C++ Builder which
> was ok because I was only using win boxen for that project. This
> time I am using both Linux and Win.
>
> What Python gui builder is well supported, does not require me
> to learn another framework/library, and can crank out stuff for
> multiple platforms ?
>
> thanks much,
> me

Glade is pretty easy to use, especially for a simple front end, if you
already know python, then the amount of GTK you'd have to learn would
be very minimal (5-15 minute crash course in it should suffice.) build
your GUI in Glade, link the python code to the xml file, and the go
back to coding non-gui stuff in no time. The Glade utility is free
software so there's no expense (unless you get charged by the byte on
your downloads.)

Tim Daneliuk

Simon Hibbs wrote:
> On 16 Nov, 10:06, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What Python gui builder is well supported, does not require me
>> to learn another framework/library, and can crank out stuff for
>> multiple platforms ?

> You're looking for a framework/library that doesn't require you to
> learn it. OK....
>
> I've had this problem for a few years. I've tried PythonCard,
> WxWidgets with WxDesigner, BoaConstructor, etc. None of them come
> anywhere close to PyQT/QTDesigner.
>
> Dion't get Blackadder It hasn't been updated for several years and is
> a dead project. In any case it uses QTDesigner for GUI layout anyway.
> You're better off using Eric or Wing if you want a decent IDE.
>
> QT does have a learning curve of course, but you get a lot of power
> back in return for the investment. I'm just coming to grips with it's
> MVC framework and the book "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt"
> is very helpful with that.
>
> I wouldn't completely dismiss Tkinter. It's too simple for complex
> GUIs but I still think it has it's place for basic utilities.
>
> Simon Hibbs

+1 Tkinter for the simple stuff

Tim Daneliuk http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Kevin Walzer

On 11/17/09 4:25 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

> +1 Tkinter for the simple stuff

You can actually use Tkinter to do quite sophisticated GUI's that rival
anything found in Qt or wx...

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

Information regarding C++ GUI Builders stevenruiz@gmail.com C Programming 4 03-04-2009 01:24 AM
Gui Builders for Ruby Kyle Schmitt Ruby 4 03-04-2007 09:17 PM
The Page Builders DaMoe HTML 30 10-05-2003 03:53 PM
Join THE PAGE BUILDERS, a MSN group for HTML tips,etc... DaMoe HTML 0 08-19-2003 02:28 AM
House Builders judith Computer Support 16 08-10-2003 06:45 AM

Advertisments