Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to update the web site

How to update the web site

AAaron123

I used vs2008/build/publish to copy my files from my computer to my web
site.

Now I want to update a file or two.

Should I use a general ftp client like FreeFtp or is there a better way?

I would expect that vs2008 might have the capability to synchronize the
remote site automatically but I did not find it.

My first look at my site I didn't see any .vb files. If you expect them not
to be there I'd like to know why not. Could be I need to look better.

Thanks in advance

Scott M.

Simply make the changes you need on your local copy of the site and
re-publish again with VS 2008 just like you did the first time.

-Scott

"AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OBZz$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I used vs2008/build/publish to copy my files from my computer to my web
>site.
>
> Now I want to update a file or two.
>
> Should I use a general ftp client like FreeFtp or is there a better way?
>
> I would expect that vs2008 might have the capability to synchronize the
> remote site automatically but I did not find it.
>
> My first look at my site I didn't see any .vb files. If you expect them
> not to be there I'd like to know why not. Could be I need to look better.
>
> Thanks in advance

AAaron123

Seems a shame to upload so many unchanged files.

Thanks for your input

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Simply make the changes you need on your local copy of the site and
> re-publish again with VS 2008 just like you did the first time.
>
> -Scott
>

> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OBZz$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I used vs2008/build/publish to copy my files from my computer to my web
>>site.
>>
>> Now I want to update a file or two.
>>
>> Should I use a general ftp client like FreeFtp or is there a better way?
>>
>> I would expect that vs2008 might have the capability to synchronize the
>> remote site automatically but I did not find it.
>>
>> My first look at my site I didn't see any .vb files. If you expect them
>> not to be there I'd like to know why not. Could be I need to look
>> better.
>>
>> Thanks in advance

Scott M.

"AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seems a shame to upload so many unchanged files.
>
> Thanks for your input
>
> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Simply make the changes you need on your local copy of the site and
>> re-publish again with VS 2008 just like you did the first time.
>>
>> -Scott
>>

>> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OBZz$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I used vs2008/build/publish to copy my files from my computer to my web
>>>site.
>>>
>>> Now I want to update a file or two.
>>>
>>> Should I use a general ftp client like FreeFtp or is there a better way?
>>>
>>> I would expect that vs2008 might have the capability to synchronize the
>>> remote site automatically but I did not find it.
>>>
>>> My first look at my site I didn't see any .vb files. If you expect them
>>> not to be there I'd like to know why not. Could be I need to look
>>> better.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance

There are other ways to selectively upload the files you want (any FTP
program will do), but depending on the changes you've made and whether
you've made a web site or web project, you'll also need to upload more than
just the .aspx files. I belive that VS will let you pick and choose options
like "only files that have been changed" or "all files", etc. You shouldn't
have to upload the whole site again.

-Scott

AAaron123

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Seems a shame to upload so many unchanged files.
>>
>> Thanks for your input
>>
>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Simply make the changes you need on your local copy of the site and
>>> re-publish again with VS 2008 just like you did the first time.
>>>
>>> -Scott
>>>

>>> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:OBZz$(E-Mail Removed)...

> There are other ways to selectively upload the files you want (any FTP
> program will do), but depending on the changes you've made and whether
> you've made a web site or web project, you'll also need to upload more
> than just the .aspx files. I belive that VS will let you pick and choose
> options like "only files that have been changed" or "all files", etc. You
> shouldn't have to upload the whole site again.
>
> -Scott

I'm doing a web site not a web project.

I did find vs2008/Edit/Copy Website (I think that is the menu item text) but
I need to read about it yet to understand the features.

The way I published I think it precompiled all the behind-code (.vb, .cs)
because I don't see the files on the server. I don't know how I can update
those precompiled files on the server because I don't believe I have them
precompiled locally.

Thanks,

Scott M.

"AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Seems a shame to upload so many unchanged files.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your input
>>>
>>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

>> There are other ways to selectively upload the files you want (any FTP
>> program will do), but depending on the changes you've made and whether
>> you've made a web site or web project, you'll also need to upload more
>> than just the .aspx files. I belive that VS will let you pick and choose
>> options like "only files that have been changed" or "all files", etc.
>> You shouldn't have to upload the whole site again.
>>
>> -Scott
>>

> I'm doing a web site not a web project.
>
> I did find vs2008/Edit/Copy Website (I think that is the menu item text)
> but I need to read about it yet to understand the features.
>
> The way I published I think it precompiled all the behind-code (.vb, .cs)
> because I don't see the files on the server. I don't know how I can update
> those precompiled files on the server because I don't believe I have them
> precompiled locally.
>
> Thanks,

If you pull down the "Build" menu and then choose the "Publish" option,
you'll see various choices for how pre-compilation can be done.

-Scott

AAaron123

news:Od2Y$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> There are other ways to selectively upload the files you want (any FTP
>>> program will do), but depending on the changes you've made and whether
>>> you've made a web site or web project, you'll also need to upload more
>>> than just the .aspx files. I belive that VS will let you pick and
>>> choose options like "only files that have been changed" or "all files",
>>> etc. You shouldn't have to upload the whole site again.
>>>
>>> -Scott
>>>

>> I'm doing a web site not a web project.
>>
>> I did find vs2008/Edit/Copy Website (I think that is the menu item text)
>> but I need to read about it yet to understand the features.
>>
>> The way I published I think it precompiled all the behind-code (.vb, .cs)
>> because I don't see the files on the server. I don't know how I can
>> update those precompiled files on the server because I don't believe I
>> have them precompiled locally.
>>
>> Thanks,

> If you pull down the "Build" menu and then choose the "Publish" option,
> you'll see various choices for how pre-compilation can be done.
>
> -Scott

I know. I only selected the option that enables the site to be updated.
Maybe I need to publish to a local folder and move changed files from there.

Thanks

Scott M.

"AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Od2Y$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I'm doing a web site not a web project.
>>>
>>> I did find vs2008/Edit/Copy Website (I think that is the menu item text)
>>> but I need to read about it yet to understand the features.
>>>
>>> The way I published I think it precompiled all the behind-code (.vb,
>>> .cs) because I don't see the files on the server. I don't know how I can
>>> update those precompiled files on the server because I don't believe I
>>> have them precompiled locally.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>> If you pull down the "Build" menu and then choose the "Publish" option,
>> you'll see various choices for how pre-compilation can be done.
>>
>> -Scott
>>

> I know. I only selected the option that enables the site to be updated.
> Maybe I need to publish to a local folder and move changed files from
> there.
>
> Thanks

That option doesn't mean that the site can be updated (indeed, the site can
be updated no matter what you select). That choice offers you the ability
to create the web pages as "updateable" on the sever, meaning that you could
open one on the web server directly, edit it and just save the file in
place. If you had been coding using the inline coding model, this would
mean that your VB or C# code would be deployed along with your client code
(not a good idea). If you had developed the pages using the code-behind
model, then the code either will be pre-compiled into one or more .dll's or
it won't be pre-compiled at all and instead will be dynamically compiled at
the server.

Now, having said that. These items aren't that big of a deal as far as
simply updating the site with changes you've made locally. The Solution
Explorer window has a Copy Web Site button to let you select just what you
want to publish.

-Scott

AAaron123

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Od2Y$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If you pull down the "Build" menu and then choose the "Publish" option,
>>> you'll see various choices for how pre-compilation can be done.
>>>
>>> -Scott
>>>

>> I know. I only selected the option that enables the site to be updated.
>> Maybe I need to publish to a local folder and move changed files from
>> there.
>>
>> Thanks

> That option doesn't mean that the site can be updated (indeed, the site
> can be updated no matter what you select). That choice offers you the
> ability to create the web pages as "updateable" on the sever, meaning that
> you could open one on the web server directly, edit it and just save the
> file in place. If you had been coding using the inline coding model, this
> would mean that your VB or C# code would be deployed along with your
> client code (not a good idea). If you had developed the pages using the
> code-behind model, then the code either will be pre-compiled into one or
> more .dll's or it won't be pre-compiled at all and instead will be
> dynamically compiled at the server.
>
> Now, having said that. These items aren't that big of a deal as far as
> simply updating the site with changes you've made locally. The Solution
> Explorer window has a Copy Web Site button to let you select just what you
> want to publish.
>
> -Scott

Thanks, the Copy Web Site button works well.

I haven't yet figured out how to upload the precompiled code-behind files.
I've been uploading the revised source files until I learn how to upload the
dll's

Thanks again

Scott M.

"AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "AAaron123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:Od2Y$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I know. I only selected the option that enables the site to be updated.
>>> Maybe I need to publish to a local folder and move changed files from
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> That option doesn't mean that the site can be updated (indeed, the site
>> can be updated no matter what you select). That choice offers you the
>> ability to create the web pages as "updateable" on the sever, meaning
>> that you could open one on the web server directly, edit it and just save
>> the file in place. If you had been coding using the inline coding model,
>> this would mean that your VB or C# code would be deployed along with your
>> client code (not a good idea). If you had developed the pages using the
>> code-behind model, then the code either will be pre-compiled into one or
>> more .dll's or it won't be pre-compiled at all and instead will be
>> dynamically compiled at the server.
>>
>> Now, having said that. These items aren't that big of a deal as far as
>> simply updating the site with changes you've made locally. The Solution
>> Explorer window has a Copy Web Site button to let you select just what
>> you want to publish.
>>
>> -Scott

> Thanks, the Copy Web Site button works well.
>
> I haven't yet figured out how to upload the precompiled code-behind files.
> I've been uploading the revised source files until I learn how to upload
> the dll's
>
> Thanks again

If you're pre-compiling, then you need to upload the modified .aspx file(s)
and the site's .dll's as well. The .dll's will be located in the website's
/bin folder, so just ensure that this folder is uploaded and then you won't
need to upload the source code files.

-Scott