Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > internet connections

internet connections

Molecule

Hello,
I have iis 5.1 running my site from home (xp pro), my comodo firewall shows
about 7 new connections every time I click on a link on my website and after
about 200 inbound connections the site shows errors and does not load pages
anymore (even with HTTP keep-alives disabled).
I have changed some settings in iis and aslo disabled the firewall, now it
works ok but I would like to know how connections are established with the
server when there is a request. Say I request my home page, then go to
another and another (within my website), does that make 3 TCP IN connections
I should have or more connections are established for other purposes?

Thanks

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Molecule wrote:

> I have iis 5.1 running my site from home (xp pro)

Busty metallic woman with arms outstretched... not much else there - at
least there is no menu visible.

How experienced are you at securing web servers?

--
-bts

why?

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:07:40 -0000, Molecule wrote:

>Hello,
>I have iis 5.1 running my site from home (xp pro), my comodo firewall shows

I seem to know that already

>about 7 new connections every time I click on a link on my website and after

You don't describe what the connections are to/from/app.

>about 200 inbound connections the site shows errors and does not load pages

This seems to be another case of describing at least a few of the
connections.

Ditto errors, the site or the server ot the browser displays some
unknown error.

>anymore (even with HTTP keep-alives disabled).

HTTP keep alives are a server optimisation, unlikely you need these as a
single user.

>I have changed some settings in iis and aslo disabled the firewall, now it

No info on the settings that were changed.

>works ok but I would like to know how connections are established with the

Put the FW back on.

>server when there is a request. Say I request my home page, then go to

That's a big question and I am sure my answer is still in the Google
archive about sockets and connections.

The HTTP RFC is mentioned below, see this section
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/...sec8.html#sec8
8 Connections

----------------
From: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Re: Testing Open Ports
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:49:24 GMT

Reading lots

Port States
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~jeehye/cm...ate/sld001.htm
If you really want the low down, writing, how it works and nitty gritty
of the whole setup,

The set of 3,
http://www.amazon.com/TCP-IP-Illustr.../dp/0201633469

and the UNIX set
http://www.amazon.com/Unix-Network-P...Networking/dp/...

The RFCs of course
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc793.html
Establishing a connection
Closing a Connection

There is plenty of code about for TCP/IP server/client apps, you could
alter one to listen on lots of ports. As well as client / server apps.

----------------
From: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Re: Connecting to the internet
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 19:30:41 GMT

On 8 Jul 2009 20:51:56 -0700, Jack Bean wrote:

>Does anyone have a website that shows the process of connecting to the internet
>with some fairly good details? I know the basics, but what exactly causes your
>signal, dialup, cable, wifi, whatever, to access servers?

Wow what a big question.....

Getting that out of the way you go high level to client/server services.
http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_TCP...rOperation.htm
Then TCP/IP itself sends out a request, waits for an answer, establishes
a connection, transfers data.

TCP/IP and HTTP sequence diagrams,
http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/Networking/

the *classic Stevens* diagram from the book.
http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/perfnet/cs...state-diag.pdf

His text books, this is the really low leval guts of TCP,IP,HTTP,Telnet
and so on. The 3 - TCP/IP Illustrated volumes.

http://www.kohala.com/start/
You will notice the other titles, tey cover just about everything else
that's now relied on mail,dns, ipc, ftp, sockets, signals.

HTTP
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html
this is where you get the 404 Page not found from (and status OK code
200 you don't see but you get the page loading). It's 1 of the various
messages about the HTTP conversation.

http://devmentor.org/articles/networ...rogramming.pdf
Client / Server Programming with TCP/IP Sockets
That's a good article, pictures

It's the Stevens books mentioned earlier.

Here is a class project to write a client/server
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cs586/f02...1/project1.htm

http://gsk.sourceforge.net/gsk-refer...ttpclient.html
Tutorial: Writing a HTTP client How to write a web client
-------------------------------

>another and another (within my website), does that make 3 TCP IN connections

>I should have or more connections are established for other purposes?

You count all items that make a page (images,media), any subdirectories
i.e. different URLs,

>Thanks

Me

richard

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:07:40 -0000, Molecule wrote:

> Hello,
> I have iis 5.1 running my site from home (xp pro), my comodo firewall shows
> about 7 new connections every time I click on a link on my website and after
> about 200 inbound connections the site shows errors and does not load pages
> anymore (even with HTTP keep-alives disabled).
> I have changed some settings in iis and aslo disabled the firewall, now it
> works ok but I would like to know how connections are established with the
> server when there is a request. Say I request my home page, then go to
> another and another (within my website), does that make 3 TCP IN connections
> I should have or more connections are established for other purposes?
>
> Thanks

Is your site overloaded with google ads cookies javascript and other
garbage?
I have one of my minimal pages online now. Comodo shows 0 inbound/7
outbound.

When I establish igoogle.com, outbound connections increase to 20
something.

You do know you can click on the number shown and comodo will display what
is connecting rigt?

Molecule

It is just a personal home page, not a business one. There is a lot more
there,not just the lady, you just have to know what to do.
I am not experienced at securing server, it is the first time I put one up
to learn, now that is is all running I am looking at all the aspect of
running a site and most important secure it.

news:hdp5r9$a4f$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Molecule wrote:
>
>> I have iis 5.1 running my site from home (xp pro)

> Busty metallic woman with arms outstretched... not much else there - at
> least there is no menu visible.
>
> How experienced are you at securing web servers?
>
> --
> -bts
> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

Molecule

> Is your site overloaded with google ads cookies javascript and other
> garbage?
> I have one of my minimal pages online now. Comodo shows 0 inbound/7
> outbound.
>
> When I establish igoogle.com, outbound connections increase to 20
> something.
>
> You do know you can click on the number shown and comodo will display what
> is connecting rigt?

Some script, yes but not much, kept it very simple.
Ah, see you you mean....With google I get the same number of
connections.......

Molecule

Thanks Why, I have put the firewall back on, I had left windows FW on.

The connections I get:
TCP IN 82.44.xxx.xx:4284
TCP IN 82.44.xxx.xx:4297 and so on to around 200 before I get missing
pictures (box with the red X instead), missing pages or too many connections
page (get the errors on my other computer).

that is just my ip address I guess, the destination is always correct: my
server. I have never seen other addresses so far. The hard drive is new and
I secured xp the best as I could.

I just played with connection timeout and Keep-alives, I have it now from
900sec to 300 and HTTP Keep-alives enabled.

I am not sure why but when stopping comodo it runs a lot better.

Will read the articles below

thanks

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> 200 you don't see but you get the page loading). It's 1 of the various
> messages about the HTTP conversation.
>
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20020323.asp
>
> http://devmentor.org/articles/networ...rogramming.pdf
> Client / Server Programming with TCP/IP Sockets
> That's a good article, pictures
>
> It's the Stevens books mentioned earlier.
>
> Here is a class project to write a client/server
> http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cs586/f02...1/project1.htm
>
> http://gsk.sourceforge.net/gsk-refer...ttpclient.html
> Tutorial: Writing a HTTP client - How to write a web client
> -------------------------------
>
>>another and another (within my website), does that make 3 TCP IN
>>connections

>>I should have or more connections are established for other purposes?

> You count all items that make a page (images,media), any subdirectories

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Molecule wrote:

> The connections I get:
> TCP IN 82.44.xxx.xx:4284
> TCP IN 82.44.xxx.xx:4297 ...
>
> that is just my ip address I guess,

There is no need to mung your IP address; it is plainly visible in the
headers of all your posts. That's how I found the picture of the busty
metallic woman.

--
-bts

Molecule

Duh......ok..I am using OE to post, did not realize that my address is
everywhere.

news:hdp5r9$a4f$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Molecule wrote:
>
>> I have iis 5.1 running my site from home (xp pro)

> Busty metallic woman with arms outstretched... not much else there - at
> least there is no menu visible.
>
> How experienced are you at securing web servers?
>
> --
> -bts
> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

Mike Easter

Molecule wrote:
> Duh......ok..I am using OE to post, did not realize that my address is
> everywhere.

Don't top post; your 'reply' lacks any context.

That/Your IP in the headers is a 'feature' of the highwinds newsserver
that virginmedia outsources to.

Some newsservers stamp a NPH nntp-posting-host header with your IP and
some don't. There are privacy disadvantages to such a stamp, but there
are some small advantages in newsgroups which are populated by trolls
who forge or spoof other participants.

--
Mike Easter