Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CPU Usage frequently 100% even though it seems not even close tototal memory

CPU Usage frequently 100% even though it seems not even close tototal memory

Newcomer

I have an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop on Windows Vista. I installed a 3G
RAM. It has a 1.73 GHz Intel CPU.

Often the computer gets very slow and windows task manager will show
CPU usage 100%. I counted the Memory (Private Working Set), the total
of these running is never more than 0.5 G RAM.

I did virus scan by avast! and do not have any virus.

Please help and suggest.

Stephen Wolstenholme

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:21:18 -0800 (PST), Newcomer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop on Windows Vista. I installed a 3G
>RAM. It has a 1.73 GHz Intel CPU.
>
>Often the computer gets very slow and windows task manager will show
>CPU usage 100%. I counted the Memory (Private Working Set), the total
>of these running is never more than 0.5 G RAM.
>
>I did virus scan by avast! and do not have any virus.
>
>Please help and suggest.

Which Image Name does Task Manager show to be using the CPU.

Steve

chuckcar

Newcomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop on Windows Vista. I installed a 3G
> RAM. It has a 1.73 GHz Intel CPU.
>
> Often the computer gets very slow and windows task manager will show
> CPU usage 100%. I counted the Memory (Private Working Set), the total
> of these running is never more than 0.5 G RAM.
>
> I did virus scan by avast! and do not have any virus.
>
> Please help and suggest.

Try booting into safe mode and see if you still get the same slowdowns.
You can get safe mode by hitting the F8 key on a reboot. If it does, then
the logical conclusion would be programs running in startup. You can
disable all of these without affecting windows itself by running
"msconfig" and disabling the startup there.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

G. Morgan

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:21:18 -0800 (PST), Newcomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Often the computer gets very slow and windows task manager will show
>CPU usage 100%. I counted the Memory (Private Working Set), the total
>of these running is never more than 0.5 G RAM.

Click on the "CPU" tab in "Processes" to sort by which one is using the most.

Write back with your findings.