Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Files and Printer Sharing

Files and Printer Sharing

ColTom2

Hi:

I know that I have addressed this posting to some Vista Newsgroups even
though my computer in question is a Toshiba L455-S5980 running Windows 7
Home Premium, but hopefully someone can help me or direct me otherwise.

I have a wireless network with a Linksys WRT160N router connected to a
Sony desktop running XP MCE(2005). In addition, I have another Toshiba
laptop running XP Home Edition.

With the new Win7 laptop in the Network I can see all 3 computers, as well
as access files in both the XP computers. However, I cannot access any of
the Win 7 files from the XP computers. I also have tried to share an HP
Officejet 6110 with the Win 7 laptop, but when I try to Add Printer, which I
can see the name of with the Wizard, I get an error notice that access is
denied.

The XP computers Workgroup name is MSHOME; however the Win 7 laptop was
named WORKGROUP by default, but I changed this name to MHOME where all 3
computers now have the same Workgroup name,

If anyone can assist me in establishing both file sharing of the Win 7
laptop and adding the sharing of printer I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

ColTom2

Lem

ColTom2 wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I know that I have addressed this posting to some Vista Newsgroups even
> though my computer in question is a Toshiba L455-S5980 running Windows 7
> Home Premium, but hopefully someone can help me or direct me otherwise.
>
> I have a wireless network with a Linksys WRT160N router connected to a
> Sony desktop running XP MCE(2005). In addition, I have another Toshiba
> laptop running XP Home Edition.
>
> With the new Win7 laptop in the Network I can see all 3 computers, as
> well as access files in both the XP computers. However, I cannot access
> any of the Win 7 files from the XP computers. I also have tried to share
> an HP Officejet 6110 with the Win 7 laptop, but when I try to Add
> Printer, which I can see the name of with the Wizard, I get an error
> notice that access is denied.
>
> The XP computers Workgroup name is MSHOME; however the Win 7 laptop was
> named WORKGROUP by default, but I changed this name to MHOME where all 3
> computers now have the same Workgroup name,
>
> If anyone can assist me in establishing both file sharing of the Win 7
> laptop and adding the sharing of printer I would be most appreciative.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

MS Win 7 forums:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tegory/w7itpro
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...orking/threads

Other Win 7 forums and tutorials:
http://www.sevenforums.com/
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ns.html?filter[2]=Networking%20Internet

Networking home computers running different versions of Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows

All that being said, are you running a third-party firewall on the Win 7
box?
Are you running any antivirus app on the Win 7 box that includes a
firewall-like component (e.g. "Internet Worm Protection")?
What is the printer physically connected to?

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

ColTom2

Hi Lem:

1. My firewall is Windows Firewall.
2. I have AVG Free 9.0 and it has a Resident Shield that monitors, but I do
not believe anything like a firewall.
3. The printer is a HP Officejet 6110 and is connected to the Sony desktop
running XP MCE(2005).

Win7 supposedly has a generic driver for this printer built in that should
work. Here is an HP article addressing this printer connected to a Win 7
computer.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=79477#

However, my Win 7 laptop is not directly connected to the printer, but I
thought about following the above just to see if it would get my printer
sharing to work.

Here is a website that addressed a similar issue for Vista.
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...ontent;leftCol

I followed the instructions and I get a Pinter icon with green check
indicating it's the default printer. At one time I had it where the Status
indicated Ready and it would the send print job to Queuing, but not now.
Status now has 2 question marks, Also I ran the Troubleshooter and it comes
up with nothing.

Still will not print.

Any additional help will be appreciated.

ColTom2

"Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:eWos#(E-Mail Removed)...
ColTom2 wrote:
> Hi:
> I know that I have addressed this posting to some Vista Newsgroups even
> though my computer in question is a Toshiba L455-S5980 running Windows 7
> Home Premium, but hopefully someone can help me or direct me otherwise.
>
> I have a wireless network with a Linksys WRT160N router connected to a
> Sony desktop running XP MCE(2005). In addition, I have another Toshiba
> laptop running XP Home Edition.
>
> With the new Win7 laptop in the Network I can see all 3 computers, as
> well as access files in both the XP computers. However, I cannot access
> any of the Win 7 files from the XP computers. I also have tried to share
> an HP Officejet 6110 with the Win 7 laptop, but when I try to Add
> Printer, which I can see the name of with the Wizard, I get an error
> notice that access is denied.
>
> The XP computers Workgroup name is MSHOME; however the Win 7 laptop was
> named WORKGROUP by default, but I changed this name to MHOME where all 3
> computers now have the same Workgroup name,
>
> If anyone can assist me in establishing both file sharing of the Win 7
> laptop and adding the sharing of printer I would be most appreciative.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

MS Win 7 forums:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tegory/w7itpro
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...orking/threads

Other Win 7 forums and tutorials:
http://www.sevenforums.com/
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ns.html?filter[2]=Networking%20Internet

Networking home computers running different versions of Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows

All that being said, are you running a third-party firewall on the Win 7
box?
Are you running any antivirus app on the Win 7 box that includes a
firewall-like component (e.g. "Internet Worm Protection")?
What is the printer physically connected to?

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Ed.

Have you tried going to Network and Sharing Center and on the left click on
"Change advanced sharing settings"?
If not, go there and then scroll down to "Password protected sharing" and
select "Turn off password protected sharing" and see if that helps. That was
my problem.

"ColTom2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ColTom2

> MS Win 7 forums:
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tegory/w7itpro
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...orking/threads
>
> Other Win 7 forums and tutorials:
> http://www.sevenforums.com/
> http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/
> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/
> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ns.html?filter[2]=Networking%20Internet
>
> Networking home computers running different versions of Windows
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows
>
> All that being said, are you running a third-party firewall on the Win 7
> box?
> Are you running any antivirus app on the Win 7 box that includes a
> firewall-like component (e.g. "Internet Worm Protection")?
> What is the printer physically connected to?

Hi Ed:

This is one of the first things that I did.

Anymore ideas from you or anyone will be appreciated.

Thanks,

ColTom2

"Ed." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> Thanks,
>>
>> ColTom2

> MS Win 7 forums:
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tegory/w7itpro
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...orking/threads
>
> Other Win 7 forums and tutorials:
> http://www.sevenforums.com/
> http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/
> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/
> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ns.html?filter[2]=Networking%20Internet
>
> Networking home computers running different versions of Windows
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows
>
> All that being said, are you running a third-party firewall on the Win 7
> box?
> Are you running any antivirus app on the Win 7 box that includes a
> firewall-like component (e.g. "Internet Worm Protection")?
> What is the printer physically connected to?

I finally got the printer to work based upon my comments in other follow
on posting:

Here is a website that addressed a similar issue for Vista.
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...ontent;leftCol

I re-accomplished the above procedures and found that I had made an error
in the process. I have nobody to blame but myself.....

Thanks for all the replies!

ColTom2