Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Electronics lesson........"line of sight"

Electronics lesson........"line of sight"

richard

Our glorious wonder of knowledge, evan platt, has once again shown his
ignorance. In another group he tries to explain how "line of sight" (LOS)
works. And Fails.

The general misconception of "LOS" is, "can you see the other antenna"?
Either with the naked eye or binoculars.
Ding ding ding. Bzzzzt! Wrong!

There are two different types of radio signal, omni and directional.
Omni means, it goes everywhere from the source. Up down sideways what ever.
Directional, channels the signal into one general direction.
The most common form of channelling is done by the use of a "yagi" antenna.
If you had an old style tv, with outdoor antenna, you most likely had a
"yagi".

http://www.intechlabs.com/ourfaqs/sa...e/antennas.htm

Technically, "LOS" means, a signal transmitted from location A to location
B with no interference in between {hills, buildings, trees, etc} or passing
beyond the horizon or reflecting off the ionosphere.

Can you see 25 miles down the road? Maybe. Given the right circumstances.
But that radio signal can. Given proper power of course.

Radar is a type, or example of "LOS"? Maybe. That police radar gun sends
out a signal and receives a signal. If that radar can't see the target,
there is no return signal. Actually, the signal goes everywhere once out of
the gun. The reflected signal is what is captured. But that is what "LOS"
is like.

My background is in electronics. I have held an FCC license that permitted
me to work in radio stations as a technician. I know radios and antennas.
At least a bit more than the basics.

<protective flame suit on>

richard

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:13:37 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:59:47 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Our glorious wonder of knowledge, evan platt, has once again shown his
>>ignorance.

> Our glorious wonder of nothing, richard the st00pid, still hasn't
> explained how he expects Obama's parents to come forward and admit
> Obama is a natural born citizen, nor has he provided documentation to
> back up his claim that could shatter the world as we know it - that
> men have more ribs than women, and that women don't have Adam's Apple.
> And those are just three of his recent claims, which he has yet to
> respond to - never will. Because he would then be admitting he's an
> idiot.
>
>>In another group he tries to explain how "line of sight" (LOS)
>>works. And Fails.

> No, not quite, dipshit.
>
> I said:
>
> "GPS and XM / Sirius are both VERY line of sight - meaning you need a
> clear shot of the satellite antenna(s) to get reception."
>
> richard the idiot said:
> "Oh please kind sir, could you give us your absolute expert analysis
> of "line of sight"?
>
> I went on to show about 10 different webpages which discuss line of
> sight for satellite and GPS. But obviously this wasn't good enough for
> richard the dipshit.
>
>>The general misconception of "LOS" is, "can you see the other antenna"?
>>Either with the naked eye or binoculars.
>>Ding ding ding. Bzzzzt! Wrong!
>>
>>There are two different types of radio signal, omni and directional.

> That's not a different 'signal'. It's the same 'signal' from a
> different antenna.
>
>>My background is in electronics. I have held an FCC license that permitted
>>me to work in radio stations as a technician. I know radios and antennas.
>>At least a bit more than the basics.

> <cough cough> bullshit.
>
> You paid a fee and got a license. Maybe even answered a few questions.
> BFD. I have a no code tech license for ham radio. You don't see me
> stating I'm an electronics engineer.
>
> "My background is in electronics." lol...
>
> I took a tour of NASA once. Even used the bathroom. But you don't go
> see me saying my background is in Space research.
>
> You know what's funny richard? Even if I didn't reply, everyone here
> would be laughing at you and pointing out how st00pid you really are.
>
> You may just want to STFU when you're wrong - which would be all the
> damn time.

SUCKER! Hook line and sinker.

Well your explanation of how GPS receivers are "LOS" is totally laughable.
You said it yourself, "You have to see the other antenna". Your eyesight is
that good you can physically see that satellite in outer space?

Practice what you preach. STFU stoopid.

Dan C

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:13:37 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

<SNIP>

> You know what's funny richard? Even if I didn't reply, everyone here
> would be laughing at you and pointing out how st00pid you really are.

What's funny is that everyone here is laughing at the *BOTH* of you.

> You may just want to STFU when you're wrong - which would be all the
> damn time.

Are you guys married? What's with the obsession with each other? Get a
room, or get over it. It's become quite boring. Pathetic, even.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

Aardvark

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:34:23 -0700, richard wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:13:37 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:59:47 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Our glorious wonder of knowledge, evan platt, has once again shown his
>>>ignorance.

>> Our glorious wonder of nothing, richard the st00pid, still hasn't
>> explained how he expects Obama's parents to come forward and admit
>> Obama is a natural born citizen, nor has he provided documentation to
>> back up his claim that could shatter the world as we know it - that men
>> have more ribs than women, and that women don't have Adam's Apple. And
>> those are just three of his recent claims, which he has yet to respond
>> to - never will. Because he would then be admitting he's an idiot.
>>
>>>In another group he tries to explain how "line of sight" (LOS) works.
>>>And Fails.

>> No, not quite, dipshit.
>>
>> I said:
>>
>> "GPS and XM / Sirius are both VERY line of sight - meaning you need a
>> clear shot of the satellite antenna(s) to get reception."
>>
>> richard the idiot said:
>> "Oh please kind sir, could you give us your absolute expert analysis of
>> "line of sight"?
>>
>> I went on to show about 10 different webpages which discuss line of
>> sight for satellite and GPS. But obviously this wasn't good enough for
>> richard the dipshit.
>>
>>>The general misconception of "LOS" is, "can you see the other antenna"?
>>>Either with the naked eye or binoculars. Ding ding ding. Bzzzzt! Wrong!
>>>
>>>There are two different types of radio signal, omni and directional.

>> That's not a different 'signal'. It's the same 'signal' from a
>> different antenna.
>>
>>>My background is in electronics. I have held an FCC license that
>>>permitted me to work in radio stations as a technician. I know radios
>>>and antennas. At least a bit more than the basics.

>> <cough cough> bullshit.
>>
>> You paid a fee and got a license. Maybe even answered a few questions.
>> BFD. I have a no code tech license for ham radio. You don't see me
>> stating I'm an electronics engineer.
>>
>> "My background is in electronics." lol...
>>
>> I took a tour of NASA once. Even used the bathroom. But you don't go
>> see me saying my background is in Space research.
>>
>> You know what's funny richard? Even if I didn't reply, everyone here
>> would be laughing at you and pointing out how st00pid you really are.
>>
>> You may just want to STFU when you're wrong - which would be all the
>> damn time.

> SUCKER! Hook line and sinker.
>
> Well your explanation of how GPS receivers are "LOS" is totally
> laughable. You said it yourself, "You have to see the other antenna".
> Your eyesight is that good you can physically see that satellite in
> outer space?

Well, there's this thing called a T-E-L-E-S-C-O-P-E. It has this ability
to enable you to see things a long way away. As long as the object is in
line of sight, with no obstructions.

LOS doesn't have to mean 'only with the naked eye'.

> Practice what you preach. STFU stoopid.

Right back atcha.

--
Elmo McElroy: If I wanted cuisine, I'd have gone to Paris
Felix DeSouza: You can still go to France. It's full of pricks. They hate

Aardvark

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:18:59 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:34:23 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>SUCKER! Hook line and sinker.
>>
>>Well your explanation of how GPS receivers are "LOS" is totally
>>laughable. You said it yourself, "You have to see the other antenna".
>>Your eyesight is that good you can physically see that satellite in
>>outer space?
>>
>>Practice what you preach. STFU stoopid.

> http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/
>
> "The signals travel by line of sight, meaning they will pass through
> clouds, glass and plastic but will not go through most solid objects
> such as buildings and mountains."
>
> http://www.filesaveas.com/gps.html
>
> "A GPS receiver makes use of signals received from the satellites, using
> three or more to pinpoint your position. Obviously, you need
> line-of-sight for this to work, so your receiver must be able to see the
> sky. "
> (Wow my receiver must have damn good vision!)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System
>
> http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gps-phone1.htm
>
> "A GPS receiver has to have a clear line of sight to the satellite to
> operate, so dense tree cover and buildings can keep it from getting a
> fix on your location. "
>
> Now will YOU STFU?

What do you think?

--
Elmo McElroy: If I wanted cuisine, I'd have gone to Paris
Felix DeSouza: You can still go to France. It's full of pricks. They hate
Yanks too. Do you fancy a bite, or what?
Elmo Mc Elroy: Yeah, all right.

G. Morgan

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:15:13 -0800, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>http://www.espphotography.com/myradios.jpg
>
>Just a few I grabbed.
>VHF, 800 trunked, VHF, scanner, UHF, UHF.

Cool.

What do you use them for? And what can a hobbyist do with them? And where is
the best place to buy them?

If you don't mind me asking.

richard

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:10:42 -0800, nobody > wrote:

> richard wrote:
>> Our glorious wonder of knowledge, evan platt, has once again shown his
>> ignorance. In another group he tries to explain how "line of sight" (LOS)
>> works. And Fails.
>>
>> The general misconception of "LOS" is, "can you see the other antenna"?
>> Either with the naked eye or binoculars.
>> Ding ding ding. Bzzzzt! Wrong!

> Kinda funny, a lot of us *real* radio people use the term "see" just
> this way.
>

>> My background is in electronics. I have held an FCC license that permitted
>> me to work in radio stations as a technician.

> Pray tell.. what class?
> What's your Fox Charlie Charlie ID? Mine's PG 14-952
>
> And whats with this *have held* business? Unless you really screw up,
> you *hold* an FCC license. They are lifetime unless suspended.
> Now could that be something you DON'T want to talk about?
>
> > I know radios and antennas.
> > At least a bit more than the basics.

> Describe tropospheric scatter propagation (without g00g or wiki), then
> get back to me.
>

> ()*5)(*&$&^% chickenbander radio "eggspurts"... they leak bullshit with
> their mouths shut.

Mine was issued in 1972 which was a 2nd class.
3rd class is what DJ's needed.
In those days, they were only good for 5 years.

And in those days, you had to know the **** because some answers for the
test required you to show the work. Just for Evan, there were 100 questions
on the test.

richard

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:18:59 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:34:23 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>SUCKER! Hook line and sinker.
>>
>>Well your explanation of how GPS receivers are "LOS" is totally laughable.
>>You said it yourself, "You have to see the other antenna". Your eyesight is
>>that good you can physically see that satellite in outer space?
>>
>>Practice what you preach. STFU stoopid.

> http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/
>
> "The signals travel by line of sight, meaning they will pass through
> clouds, glass and plastic but will not go through most solid objects
> such as buildings and mountains."
>
> http://www.filesaveas.com/gps.html
>
> "A GPS receiver makes use of signals received from the satellites,
> using three or more to pinpoint your position. Obviously, you need
> line-of-sight for this to work, so your receiver must be able to see
> the sky. "
> (Wow my receiver must have damn good vision!)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System
>
> http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gps-phone1.htm
>
> "A GPS receiver has to have a clear line of sight to the satellite to
> operate, so dense tree cover and buildings can keep it from getting a
> fix on your location. "
>
> Now will YOU STFU?

You is one ignorant sorry ass puppy.

G. Morgan

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:26:58 -0600, The Old Sourdough <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> I know radios and antennas.

>Maybe when one walks up and smacks youi in the face.

<chuckle>

NotMe

news:1i44jn73p3xrk.wal4uk4eu3se$(E-Mail Removed)...
: On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:10:42 -0800, nobody > wrote:
:
: > richard wrote:
: >> Our glorious wonder of knowledge, evan platt, has once again shown his
: >> ignorance. In another group he tries to explain how "line of sight"
(LOS)
: >> works. And Fails.
: >>
: >> The general misconception of "LOS" is, "can you see the other antenna"?
: >> Either with the naked eye or binoculars.
: >> Ding ding ding. Bzzzzt! Wrong!
: >
[...]

FWIW I knew personally a number of 10 year olds that aced the test for First
and Second phone with marine radar and they didn't know **** beyond what was
in the study book. (and yes I was one of them)

The lucky ones got to carry the ladder for those that did know their ****.