Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > xp pro cscript

xp pro cscript

Molecule

Hello,
when i try to open cscript it pops up for around a
fraction of a second then disappears. Is there any way I can make it stay
open?
thanks

Mike Easter

Molecule wrote:

> when i try to open cscript it pops up for around a
> fraction of a second then disappears. Is there any way I can make it
> stay open?

It is a commandline app. Start/ Run/ command (then type..) cscript

http://snipr.com/t8eh8 To run scripts using the command-line-based
script host (Cscript.exe)

--
Mike Easter

Molecule

It is a commandline app. Start/ Run/ command (then type..) cscript

> http://snipr.com/t8eh8 To run scripts using the command-line-based
> script host (Cscript.exe)
>
> --
> Mike Easter

ok, so in order to run "cscript C:\Inetpub\AdminScripts\adsutil set
w3svc/MaxConnections 40", I just have to type in START/RUN and press enter,
no console popping up to tell me it is done?
Thanks

VanguardLH

Mike Easter wrote:

> Molecule wrote:
>
>> when i try to open cscript it pops up for around a
>> fraction of a second then disappears. Is there any way I can make it
>> stay open?

> It is a commandline app. Start/ Run/ command (then type..) cscript
>
> http://snipr.com/t8eh8 To run scripts using the command-line-based
> script host (Cscript.exe)

Do not use the old and limited command.com interpreter. Instead use
cmd.exe for the interpreter. So to modifies Mike's reply, use
Start/Run/cmd.exe (you get away with just cmd and leave off the .exe
extension, too) to open a command shell (aka DOS prompt aka command
console).

Or maybe Mike meant to say to use Start/Run/<command> where you replace
<command> with whatever string you want to run (for an executable) or to
load a handler (for a filetype). However, if it is a command-line
program, it probably doesn't provide its own console window to show any
output or accept input. That means when the command-line program ends,
the temporary console for it will also disappear and you won't see any
output. If you want the console window to remain on the screen,
whatever opened it has to remain running. So use cmd.exe to get the
console window and then enter your command string. When your command is
done, cmd.exe is still running so the console window remains open.