Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > At last Linux has a decent text editor

At last Linux has a decent text editor

Carnations

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:30:27 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

>>And have you used Midnight Commander? In my opinion it is a superb
>>character-based file manager. What about it don't you like as a file
>>manager?

> I just never got used to Midnight Commander. I like the Windows Explorer
> way of working. There are a number of good Windows file managers which
> use that style. I'm trying Ubuntu again so I might see if any of them
> are usable under Wine.

Well, I suppose the Microsoft way of working is considered by all to be the best way of working.

Carnations

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:33:57 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

>> And have you used Midnight Commander? In my opinion it is a superb
>> character-based file manager. What about it don't you like as a file
>> manager?
>>

> mc is a decent program but simple. It doesn't do drag and drop for
> example.

Well, a character based interface by definition has nothing to "drag and drop".

Ray Greene

On 15 Nov 2009 04:13:56 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2009-11-14, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
>>
>> http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
>>
>> Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
>> Linux was almost ready for the desktop
>>

>Sorry have to leave. TORLL bells is going off full power.

Send not to know for whom the bell torlls, it torlls for thee.

I wasn't really trolling, well not very much anyway. The lack of a
good text editor and file manager (and a newsreader as good as Agent)
are the things that have always bugged me whenever I've tried Linux in
the past.

I'm trying it again now, I've got the text editor so hopefully I'll
find a file manager that suits me too. And Agent will probably work OK
under Wine.

--
Ray Greene

Carnations

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:33:57 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

>> What makes Ultraedit better than VI or... Writer?
>>

> The big one that would be nice is multiple file edit. While you can do
> that in vi it is cumbersome. Lots of other features too, I understand,
> though I've not used it much.

Kate can have multiple files open at the same time - and even in different windows!

Carnations

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:21:29 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

> It's OK as a basic editor but it has nowhere near the features UltraEdit
> has.

Well, I suppose all you really need in a *text* editor is the ability to copy, cut, insert, delete, find and
replace.

I can't think of *anything* else required for editing *text*.

Ray Greene

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 06:05:29 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:30:27 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>>>And have you used Midnight Commander? In my opinion it is a superb
>>>character-based file manager. What about it don't you like as a file
>>>manager?

>> I just never got used to Midnight Commander. I like the Windows Explorer
>> way of working. There are a number of good Windows file managers which
>> use that style. I'm trying Ubuntu again so I might see if any of them
>> are usable under Wine.

>Well, I suppose the Microsoft way of working is considered by all to be the best way of working.

Well obviously not by everyone. There's you, for instance.
It suits me though and I'm happy to stick with it.

--
Ray Greene

Ray Greene

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 06:12:09 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:21:29 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> It's OK as a basic editor but it has nowhere near the features UltraEdit
>> has.

>Well, I suppose all you really need in a *text* editor is the ability to copy, cut, insert, delete, find and
>replace.
>
>I can't think of *anything* else required for editing *text*.

In that case Kate is the perfect text editor for you.

--
Ray Greene

Ray Greene

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:14:06 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> Can your fancy text editor use Comic Sans with multiple colours? Or embed
>> pictures of your cat into a document?

>Emacs can do all that, and more.

Yeah, well, obviously Emacs could do it. Emacs can do anything.

Actually if I was going to go to that much trouble to learn a new way
to edit text Emacs is the one I'd pick. I like it, just not that much.

>Emacs users tend to look on users of other text editors as being slightly
>retarded...

So all this time it's been a software fault, when everyone here was
blaming the user? Damn!

--
Ray Greene

Enkidu

Ray Greene wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:19:47 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Ray Greene wrote:

>>> Ooh, if only... <sigh>
>>>

>> When I upgraded to Karmic Koala it installed Wine and Notepad.
>>

> Bliss...
>
>> I like gvim since I can intersperse useful vi commands with cut and
>> paste and menu hopping if I feel like it. UltraEdit may be good, but
>> I've not used it enough to tell. I know it did have problems with GB
>> files that were being written to and used to just hang, whereas Notepad
>> would just work with them. However Notepad did not keep up with the
>> changes, while UE tried to (for smaller files).

> GB files in Notepad?? You're a braver man than me!

Like I had a choice? At the time, the need was there and the tool wasn't.

> I've never had a problem using UE with files of 100's of MB but I
> don't remember if I've ever got into the GB size.

Like I said, we needed to look at a huge file that was being written to.
I still have the nightmares.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Ray Greene wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:51:30 +1300, Stephen Worthington
> <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:19:54 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Nice, but it's a bit outside my price range though.

>> There is that slight problem, yes. But for a professional programmer,
>> you really do want that level of editor. It makes you lots more
>> productive. I would never want to live without a really good editor
>> like SlickEdit. I am surprised to find that few employers of
>> programmers seem to have any idea how important an editor is to
>> productivity. It is the number one tool you use for hours every day,
>> so how could it not be important? But they do not seem to realise
>> that they need to be paying for a good editor the same way they seem
>> to be happy to pay Microsoft for Office.

> You're not looking at the big picture. Can your fancy text editor use
> Comic Sans with multiple colours? Or embed pictures of your cat into a
> document? Stupid text editors...
>
> I got my boss to buy me UE though.
>
> Everyone has their favourite editor, UE suits me nicely though I know
> some of the more expensive ones have more features.

It's certainly worth a crack, though I suspect that I'll return to 'vi'.

Cheers,

Cliff