Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > At last Linux has a decent text editor

At last Linux has a decent text editor

Ray Greene

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:19:47 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:

>>> I thought you were going to say Notepad had been ported

>> Ooh, if only... <sigh>
>>

>When I upgraded to Karmic Koala it installed Wine and Notepad.

Bliss...

>I like gvim since I can intersperse useful vi commands with cut and
>paste and menu hopping if I feel like it. UltraEdit may be good, but
>I've not used it enough to tell. I know it did have problems with GB
>files that were being written to and used to just hang, whereas Notepad
>would just work with them. However Notepad did not keep up with the
>changes, while UE tried to (for smaller files).

GB files in Notepad?? You're a braver man than me!

I've never had a problem using UE with files of 100's of MB but I
don't remember if I've ever got into the GB size.

Ray Greene

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:51:30 +1300, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:19:54 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:46:57 +1300, Stephen Worthington
>><(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>>>Slickedit is been available for Linux for many years now:
>>>
>>> http://www.slickedit.com/
>>>
>>>http://www.slickedit.com/index.php?o...n&view=article

>>Nice, but it's a bit outside my price range though.

>There is that slight problem, yes. But for a professional programmer,
>you really do want that level of editor. It makes you lots more
>productive. I would never want to live without a really good editor
>like SlickEdit. I am surprised to find that few employers of
>programmers seem to have any idea how important an editor is to
>productivity. It is the number one tool you use for hours every day,
>so how could it not be important? But they do not seem to realise
>that they need to be paying for a good editor the same way they seem
>to be happy to pay Microsoft for Office.

You're not looking at the big picture. Can your fancy text editor use
Comic Sans with multiple colours? Or embed pictures of your cat into a
document? Stupid text editors...

I got my boss to buy me UE though.

Everyone has their favourite editor, UE suits me nicely though I know
some of the more expensive ones have more features.

>BTW The initial buy price for SlickEdit is pretty offputting, but the
>annual maintenance is much more reasonable and includes all upgrades.

Ray Greene

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:38:38 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:56:43 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Can't say that I have ever heard of Ultraedit.
>>>
>>> What makes Ultraedit better than VI or... Writer?

>> Learning to use UltraEdit doesn't cause brain damage Isn't Writer
>> a word processor?
>>
>>> And have you used Midnight Commander? In my opinion it is a superb
>>> character-based file manager. What about it don't you like as a
>>> file manager?

>> I just never got used to Midnight Commander. I like the Windows
>> Explorer way of working. There are a number of good Windows file
>> managers which use that style. I'm trying Ubuntu again so I might see
>> if any of them are usable under Wine.
>>

>You might find a file manager that fits your style of working that runs
>natively on Linux. There's a number of them.

I've tried a few in the past but never found one that I realy liked.
I'll have another look now though, I'm going to give Linux another
try.

Ray Greene

On 15 Nov 2009 12:06:55 +1200, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:30:27 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> I just never got used to Midnight Commander. I like the Windows Explorer
>> way of working. There are a number of good Windows file managers which
>> use that style. I'm trying Ubuntu again so I might see if any of them
>> are usable under Wine.

>There's a great file manager for Linux called Konqueror.
>
>It has the added advantage of being able to display files inline and,
>according to rumours, also has some web browsing capability.

Just like Internet Explorer, except that IE makes a halfway decent
file manager

Ray Greene

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:04:12 +1300, Murray Symon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
>>
>> http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
>>
>> Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
>> Linux was almost ready for the desktop
>>

>Check out X File Explorer ("xfe") - it is a file manager that has been
>designed with the ubiquitously familiar MS Windows look and feel.

A number of them have the look but seem to miss the feel. I'll check
it out again though.

Xfm, the Xandros file manager, is very nice but it's not available as
a separate application.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene wrote:

> Can your fancy text editor use Comic Sans with multiple colours? Or embed
> pictures of your cat into a document?

Emacs can do all that, and more.

Emacs users tend to look on users of other text editors as being slightly
retarded...

Gordon

On 2009-11-15, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> Can your fancy text editor use Comic Sans with multiple colours? Or embed
>> pictures of your cat into a document?

> Emacs can do all that, and more.
>
> Emacs users tend to look on users of other text editors as being slightly
> retarded...

Well, what languages do we all speak?

ASCII is the only way to go text wise eh

Gordon

On 2009-11-14, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
>
> http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
>
> Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
> Linux was almost ready for the desktop

Sorry have to leave. TORLL bells is going off full power.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:

> On 2009-11-15, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Can your fancy text editor use Comic Sans with multiple colours? Or
>>> embed pictures of your cat into a document?

>> Emacs can do all that, and more.
>>
>> Emacs users tend to look on users of other text editors as being slightly
>> retarded...

> Well, what languages do we all speak?
>
> ASCII is the only way to go text wise eh

Emacs has done Unicode for a while. Probably supports other encodings as
well, if I could be bothered with them.

Carnations

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:30:27 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

> Learning to use UltraEdit doesn't cause brain damage Isn't Writer a
> word processor?

Indeed it is - and a "word processor" by definition is a text editor (with formatting ability).