Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > At last Linux has a decent text editor

At last Linux has a decent text editor

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Carnations wrote:

>>> So that humans can read them - so that they are human-readable.

>> That’s not the most important reason.

> Actually it is.
>
> They are human readable so that humans can edit them with a plain text
> editor.

When was the last time you did so?

Carnations

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:47:18 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> That’s not the most important reason.

>> Actually it is.
>>
>> They are human readable so that humans can edit them with a plain text
>> editor.

> When was the last time you did so?

Only a couple of weeks ago when I installed OS-Commerce to see what it was like.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Carnations wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:47:18 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Actually it is.
>>>
>>> They are human readable so that humans can edit them with a plain text
>>> editor.

>> When was the last time you did so?

> Only a couple of weeks ago when I installed OS-Commerce to see what it was
> like.

So you, a human, hardly look at those files, yet you have software running
on your system which is accessing those files all the time.

So, again: what is the advantage in keeping them in plain-text form?

Carnations

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:13:12 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Carnations wrote:

>>> When was the last time you did so?

>> Only a couple of weeks ago when I installed OS-Commerce to see what it
>> was like.

> So you, a human, hardly look at those files, yet you have software
> running on your system which is accessing those files all the time.
>
> So, again: what is the advantage in keeping them in plain-text form?

I have already fully answered that question: So that humans can read and edit them with a plain text