Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > At last Linux has a decent text editor

At last Linux has a decent text editor

Ray Greene

UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.

http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html

Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
Linux was almost ready for the desktop

--
Ray Greene

EMB

Ray Greene wrote:
> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.

I thought you were going to say Notepad had been ported

Ray Greene

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:54:49 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.

>I thought you were going to say Notepad had been ported

Ooh, if only... <sigh>

--
Ray Greene

Stephen Worthington

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
>
>http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
>
>Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
>Linux was almost ready for the desktop

Slickedit is been available for Linux for many years now:

http://www.slickedit.com/

http://www.slickedit.com/index.php?o...n&view=article

Carnations

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
>
> http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
>
> Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
> Linux was almost ready for the desktop

Can't say that I have ever heard of Ultraedit.

What makes Ultraedit better than VI or... Writer?

And have you used Midnight Commander? In my opinion it is a superb character-based file manager.
What about it don't you like as a file manager?

Carnations

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:46:57 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
>>
>>http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
>>
>>Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
>>Linux was almost ready for the desktop

> Slickedit is been available for Linux for many years now:
>
> http://www.slickedit.com/
>
> http://www.slickedit.com/index.php?o...&id=235%E3%80%

88=en&view=article

And lets not forget about Kate - its part of the KDE project - http://www.kde.org - and it is an excellent
GUI based text editor.

Ray Greene

<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
>>
>>http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
>>
>>Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
>>Linux was almost ready for the desktop

>Slickedit is been available for Linux for many years now:
>
> http://www.slickedit.com/
>
>http://www.slickedit.com/index.php?o...n&view=article

Nice, but it's a bit outside my price range though.

Ray Greene

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:59:14 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:46:57 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
>>>
>>>http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
>>>
>>>Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
>>>Linux was almost ready for the desktop

>> Slickedit is been available for Linux for many years now:
>>
>> http://www.slickedit.com/
>>
>> http://www.slickedit.com/index.php?o...&id=235%E3%80%

>88=en&view=article
>
>And lets not forget about Kate - its part of the KDE project - http://www.kde.org - and it is an excellent
>GUI based text editor.

It's OK as a basic editor but it has nowhere near the features
UltraEdit has.

Ray Greene

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:56:43 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
>>
>> http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
>>
>> Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
>> Linux was almost ready for the desktop

>Can't say that I have ever heard of Ultraedit.
>
>What makes Ultraedit better than VI or... Writer?

Learning to use UltraEdit doesn't cause brain damage
Isn't Writer a word processor?

>And have you used Midnight Commander? In my opinion it is a superb character-based file manager.
>What about it don't you like as a file manager?

I just never got used to Midnight Commander. I like the Windows
Explorer way of working. There are a number of good Windows file
managers which use that style. I'm trying Ubuntu again so I might see
if any of them are usable under Wine.

Murray Symon

Ray Greene wrote:

> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
>
> http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
>
> Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
> Linux was almost ready for the desktop

Check out X File Explorer ("xfe") - it is a file manager that has been
designed with the ubiquitously familiar MS Windows look and feel.