Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Legal for a web forum to send newsletter w/o giving an option to optout?

Legal for a web forum to send newsletter w/o giving an option to optout?

Doc

I keep getting these e-mail "newsletters" that are linked to a forum I
joined. Couldn't care less about the contents, when I asked how to
unsubscribe from them the response I got was there's no way to, they
send it to everybody. Is this legal? The emails themselves are mildly
annoying but I'm even more po'd about their "policy".

Mike Easter

posted to 24hshd only

Doc wrote:
> I keep getting these e-mail "newsletters" that are linked to a forum I
> joined. Couldn't care less about the contents, when I asked how to
> unsubscribe from them the response I got was there's no way to, they
> send it to everybody. Is this legal? The emails themselves are mildly
> annoying but I'm even more po'd about their "policy".

You didn't provide a link to the forum in question, but if part of the
'deal' (you made with them) is that you agree that if you are allowed to
be a member of that forum then you are also agreeing to receive their
newsletters, then the newsletters aren't spam (unsolicited bulk) and
can't be notified (reported) as such.

There is *NO* legal issue here whatsoever.

Among your choices are the option to configure your mailuser agent to
put those newsletters somewhere that you don't have to see them.

Some newsletters and emagazines with advertising have deals with
advertisers based on their circulation, just like deadtree magazines do.
The newsletter/emag sells ads based on a verifiable circulation which
could be verified by the membership of the forum which you find has an
obligatory newsletter.

The whole deal makes perfectly good sense to me.

I have subscribed to newsletter/emags in the past which had paid
advertisements. I have visited their advertiser webpages to see how much
they charged the advertisers and the promotion for the ads was based on
their e-circulation.

--
Mike Easter

Aardvark

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:24:19 -0600, Gordon Burditt wrote:

>>I keep getting these e-mail "newsletters" that are linked to a forum I
>>joined. Couldn't care less about the contents, when I asked how to
>>unsubscribe from them the response I got was there's no way to, they
>>send it to everybody. Is this legal? The emails themselves are mildly
>>annoying but I'm even more po'd about their "policy".

> They could have made accepting the emails a condition of joining the
> forum. (Did they?) In that case, you can decide whether it's annoying
> enough to make you want to unsubscribe from the forum.
>
> Another possibility is that you can keep complaining until they
> unsubscribe you from the newsletter (and possibly the forum also). Do
> this only if you're sure you never want to rejoin the forum.

Did you make up the OP question yourself or did someone else make it? Was
there actually an OP and you wrote everything yourself then put 'Re:' in
the subject line to make it look like you're answering a question posted
by someone nameless?

There's no attribution line. If that's the case then you're plagiarising
someone else's words and passing them off as your own.

--
Elmo McElroy: If I wanted cuisine, I'd have gone to Paris
Felix DeSouza: You can still go to France. It's full of pricks. They hate

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) netamerica
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Gordon Burditt) wrote:

> Another possibility is that you can keep complaining until they
> unsubscribe you from the newsletter (and possibly the forum also).

Possibly more effective is to report the spam via
http://www.spamcop.net/.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

Mike Easter

Bert Hyman wrote:

> Possibly more effective is to report the spam via
> http://www.spamcop.net/.

If you break spamcop's rules, spamcop will cancel your spamcop reporter
account.

"Do not use SpamCop to report anything except spam."

Solicited mail is not spam. 'Subscription' problems or policies are not
spam.

If the OP signed up and agreed to take the mail, then when the
newsletter's admin gets the spamcop report/notification, the notified
will complain to spamcop about the reporter...

<SC>
False spam reports are not tolerated.

Users who file false reports will be banned from the SpamCop service
and/or fined. However, in order to take action, we must see proof of
wrongdoing.

Please use the link(s) included in the report in question to dispute it.
</SC>

--
Mike Easter

Doc

On Nov 13, 7:24*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Gordon Burditt) wrote:
> >I keep getting these e-mail "newsletters" that are linked to a forum I
> >joined. Couldn't care less about the contents, when I asked how to
> >unsubscribe from them the response I got was there's no way to, they
> >send it to everybody. Is this legal? The emails themselves are mildly
> >annoying but I'm even more po'd about their "policy".

> They could have made accepting the emails a condition of joining
> the forum. *(Did they?) *

While it's possible they snuck it by me, I always say NO to anything
like that.

Doc

On Nov 13, 7:54*pm, Deadrat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What law do you imagine they're breaking?

Not being an attorney let alone one versed in internet issues, I
couldn't say, though it seems somewhere I've gotten the impression
someone can't keep e-mailing you if you tell them to cease. My
impression is virtually every site I've ever encountered has some kind
of opt out - "click here to unsubscribe" or the like.

Mike Easter

Doc wrote:

> While it's possible they snuck it by me, I always say NO to anything
> like that.

Is there any good reason for you to keep the link to this webforum a
secret?

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Aardvark wrote:

> Did you make up the OP question yourself or did someone else make it?
> Was there actually an OP and you wrote everything yourself then put
> 'Re:' in the subject line to make it look like you're answering a
> question posted by someone nameless?

The original post is via Google Groups from a person signing as "Doc."
You got GG blocked? <g>

[cross-post to misc.legal trimmed]
--
-bts

chuckcar

Doc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I keep getting these e-mail "newsletters" that are linked to a forum I
> joined. Couldn't care less about the contents, when I asked how to
> unsubscribe from them the response I got was there's no way to, they
> send it to everybody. Is this legal? The emails themselves are mildly
> annoying but I'm even more po'd about their "policy".

So filter them out and have each of their messages automatically resent
back to them. Twice. Or more if you're adventurous.

You like spam? I got your spam right here!

And yes that is *exactly* what spam is.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )