Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > A "terminators' club" for clp

A "terminators' club" for clp

Paul Rubin

Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> To post from g.c.p.g, one must use a real email address and respond
> once to an email sent to that address.
>
> So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
> like the spammers do .

No I don't think so. "Unwilling to disclose email address or enroll
yet another computer account" is not the same as "anonymous".

On Nov 14, 4:52*pm, Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
> like the spammers do .

I don't think that completely correct. Lots of people find GG's to be
more suited to their news reading pleasures, i am one of them. I hate
to have an email just overflowing with mails all the time. Here in
GG's, i just come and go without worrying about deleting messages or
kill filters or whatever.

Maybe even Guido himself uses GG's? Heck for all we know Guido could
have a "pybot" sending all these spams just so Python's TIOBE index
will increase!

Terry Reedy

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> To post from g.c.p.g, one must use a real email address and respond
>> once to an email sent to that address.
>>
>> So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
>> like the spammers do .

> No I don't think so. "Unwilling to disclose email address or enroll
> yet another computer account" is not the same as "anonymous".

There is no 'enrolling' except for hitting reply to an email *when you
first post*, but never to just read. You point your news reader to gmane
just like to any other newsserver. Once you do, you have access to a
couple hundred other Python mailing lists and 1000s of others. I believe
c.l.p is one of the few that also appear on gmane, and only because of
its gateway to/from python-list.

Terry Jan Reedy

Terry Reedy

r wrote:
> On Nov 14, 4:52 pm, Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
>> like the spammers do .

> I don't think that completely correct. Lots of people find GG's to be
> more suited to their news reading pleasures,

I was referring to c.l.p on a nntp newsserver read by a newsreader
program. That was the context of the previous discussion. G.G. is
different, read through a browser (and only that, as far as I know).

i am one of them. I hate
> to have an email just overflowing with mails all the time. Here in
> GG's, i just come and go without worrying about deleting messages or
> kill filters or whatever.

That is why I read python-list and other mailing lists (that are not
available as a g.g.) via gmane.

Terry Jan Reedy

Terry Reedy

Ben Finney wrote:
> Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
>> like the spammers do .

> Or if one has an ISP who provides a Usenet feed, like mine does.

Gmane is a nntp news feed, just not a usenet feed. If you can read
usenet, you can read gmane, probably in the time it took you to write
this post -- and get access to 1000s of mirrer mailing lists. I switched
to gmane's mirror of python-list *before* I had to because it was
superior, overall, to my ISP at the time. Hoever, if you like the extra
spam, don't spend the minute it takes. But my comment is directed at
those complaining about it.

Just tell your newsreader to make a new news 'account' for
news.gmane.org or snews.gmane.org (port 563) to use ssl - either at the
corresponding default ports.

tjr

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>> So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
>> like the spammers do .

>Or if one has an ISP who provides a Usenet feed, like mine does.

Mine does, too.

>A pox upon Andrew Cuomo for bashing ISPs in the USA with the stick of
>“child pornography” (which he discovered on 88 out of many thousands of
>forums). Faced with the unreasonable role of policing Usenet, they shut
>it all off <URL:http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9964895-38.html>.

Actually, my ISP is in New York City.

[on old computer technologies and programmers] "Fancy tail fins on a
brand new '59 Cadillac didn't mean throwing out a whole generation of
mechanics who started with model As." --Andrew Dalke

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There is automatic moderation software that auto-approves any post
>from an address that has had one or two posts manually approved.
>While that's susceptible to address forgery, the typical spammer
>doesn't do that.

There's even auto-mod with e-mail confirmation (similar to subscribing to
a mailing list), see soc.singles.moderated.

[on old computer technologies and programmers] "Fancy tail fins on a
brand new '59 Cadillac didn't mean throwing out a whole generation of
mechanics who started with model As." --Andrew Dalke

David Bolen

Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> r wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 4:59 am, kj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> But, as I already showed, I'm out of my depth here,
>>> so I'd better shut up.

>> Don't give up so easy! The idea is great, what Paul is saying is that
>> most people who read this group use newsreaders and that has nothing
>> to do with google groups. These guy's have kill filters for just this
>> sort of thing but either way the emails are on their puters so they
>> have to deal with them on an individual basis. It would be nice
>> however to clean up the Google group version and rid it of the plagues
>> of spam infestations.

> Anyone with a newsreader can, like me, read gmane.comp.python.general,
> which mirrors python-list, which now filters out much/most of the spam
> on c.l.p from G.g.

The same is true on some (not sure if it qualifies for many) Usenet
servers. I use news.individual.net for example (for a modest yearly
fee as of a few years ago) and in my experience it does a great job at
filtering spam. I'm sure there are other services that do as well. I
don't have to manage any special filters and don't seem to see any of
the stuff in this group, for example, mentioned in this thread.

I do use gmane for a lot of other lists (including python-dev) that
aren't operated as a Usenet newsgroups and it's an excellent service.

-- David

gil_johnson

On Nov 14, 12:08*pm, r <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 7:28*am, gil_johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Actually there is a "rank this post" (gotta be careful with that
> verbage!) AND a "report this post as spam". Of course it only exists
> in GG's and not Usenet. I *do* know that the star system is used quite
> frequently, but i doubt anyone bothers to use the "report as spam"
> link since it seems have no effect whatsoever.

Heh. I should look around more before posting. It does prove your
point, though. The 'spam' button is ubiquitous, but so seldom used
it's forgotten.

Actually, my enthusiasm for my idea faded with a little thought. It is
an extra effort to open spam to get to the 'spam' button, and sends
the message to the spammer that people are, indeed opening their junk.
I'd use it if I opened a message with a deceptive subject.
Gil

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Some usenet newsgroups were/are moderated either by a robot, a person,
>or a team (as you suggested). But a particular newsgroup has to be set
>up that way from the beginning. Last I knew, it wan/is? difficult to
>convert an unmoderated group to moderation.

It has gotten exponentially more difficult over the last decade.

definition, not smart enough to debug it." --Brian W. Kernighan