Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Router

Wireless Router

Spring09

Hi:
There is Modem and Router Combo./Gateway that Comcast installed since 2001
and 'wired' capacity only. Three PCs are wired and two PCs are using
Wireless Adaptor to get Internet/Comcast.

Now, I heard 'wireless' router that I think very convenient, because I want
make the HP All-in-One printer sharing.

Is it a good idea to get 'wireless' router for sharing the Printer purpose?

Your imputs and opinions would be greatly appreciated on this,.....a very
new device, 'Wireless' router for purpose of sharing the Printer.

Thanks,

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Yeah, you can buy any Wireless Router configure it as an Access Point with
switch and connect it to your current system.
Here how, Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Any Wireless computer, or wireless Network printer, can then connect to the
current Network.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Spring09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
> There is Modem and Router Combo./Gateway that Comcast installed since 2001
> and 'wired' capacity only. Three PCs are wired and two PCs are using
> Wireless Adaptor to get Internet/Comcast.
>
> Now, I heard 'wireless' router that I think very convenient, because I
> want make the HP All-in-One printer sharing.
>
> Is it a good idea to get 'wireless' router for sharing the Printer
> purpose?
>
> Your imputs and opinions would be greatly appreciated on this,.....a very
> new device, 'Wireless' router for purpose of sharing the Printer.
>
> Thanks,

Spring09

Thanks for the response.

In order to get wireless capaciy, I need not only Wireless Router,' also
need to install 'wireless cards' to all PCs that have NO wireless cards
inside. Only the Printer is 'wireless.'

Thanks,

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Yeah, you can buy any Wireless Router configure it as an Access Point with
> switch and connect it to your current system.
> Here how, Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
> Any Wireless computer, or wireless Network printer, can then connect to
> the current Network.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "Spring09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi:
>> There is Modem and Router Combo./Gateway that Comcast installed since
>> 2001 and 'wired' capacity only. Three PCs are wired and two PCs are
>> using Wireless Adaptor to get Internet/Comcast.
>>
>> Now, I heard 'wireless' router that I think very convenient, because I
>> want make the HP All-in-One printer sharing.
>>
>> Is it a good idea to get 'wireless' router for sharing the Printer
>> purpose?
>>
>> Your imputs and opinions would be greatly appreciated on this,.....a very
>> new device, 'Wireless' router for purpose of sharing the Printer.
>>
>> Thanks,

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Yes, on desktop you need to install PCI wireless inside, or use a USB
Wireless (Internal PCI is usually better).
Example.
PCI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
USB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315075
Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
On laptops that do not have internal Wireless you can use PCMCIA Card.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Spring09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the response.
>
> In order to get wireless capaciy, I need not only Wireless Router,' also
> need to install 'wireless cards' to all PCs that have NO wireless cards
> inside. Only the Printer is 'wireless.'
>
> Thanks,
>

> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Yeah, you can buy any Wireless Router configure it as an Access Point
>> with switch and connect it to your current system.
>> Here how, Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
>> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
>> Any Wireless computer, or wireless Network printer, can then connect to
>> the current Network.
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Spring09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi:
>>> There is Modem and Router Combo./Gateway that Comcast installed since
>>> 2001 and 'wired' capacity only. Three PCs are wired and two PCs are
>>> using Wireless Adaptor to get Internet/Comcast.
>>>
>>> Now, I heard 'wireless' router that I think very convenient, because I
>>> want make the HP All-in-One printer sharing.
>>>
>>> Is it a good idea to get 'wireless' router for sharing the Printer
>>> purpose?
>>>
>>> Your imputs and opinions would be greatly appreciated on this,.....a
>>> very new device, 'Wireless' router for purpose of sharing the Printer.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

Spring09

Jack [MVP-Networking]:

Thanks again,

I plan to install PCI card inside, since it seems better connectivity.

When I went NewEgg site, there are many, different Wireless Routers. I
prefer 'D-Link' route and 802.11g, because I think my IP, Comcast does
accept. Someone told me that any device 'N'/(speedy device) needs to avoid,
because Comcast does not like.

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Yes, on desktop you need to install PCI wireless inside, or use a USB
> Wireless (Internal PCI is usually better).
> Example.
> PCI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
> USB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315075
> Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
> http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
> On laptops that do not have internal Wireless you can use PCMCIA Card.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "Spring09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> In order to get wireless capaciy, I need not only Wireless Router,' also
>> need to install 'wireless cards' to all PCs that have NO wireless cards
>> inside. Only the Printer is 'wireless.'
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> Yeah, you can buy any Wireless Router configure it as an Access Point
>>> with switch and connect it to your current system.
>>> Here how, Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
>>> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
>>> Any Wireless computer, or wireless Network printer, can then connect to
>>> the current Network.
>>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "Spring09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Almost all the Home used Routers differences are on the LAN (Home Network)
side.
The WAN side (ISP side that goes to the Modem) is not functionally different
one from the other.
I doubt that there is any technical merit to the claim that Comcast like
one, or the other.
The issue is that people expect their ISP to support their 3rd party Router
too.
However it is Not the ISP duty (and even if they want to it is impossible)
to support all the independent Routers that are available on the market.
So Comcast support people know the interface of few simple Routers, and
would not want to deal with any of the others.
If One has a basic idea of Networking and does Not need Comcast to deal with
his LAN, and its Router, One can the best for him.
Expecting the ISP to take care of your own system is like expecting your car
company to clean and take care of your garage.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Spring09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jack [MVP-Networking]:
>
> Thanks again,
>
> I plan to install PCI card inside, since it seems better connectivity.
>
> When I went NewEgg site, there are many, different Wireless Routers. I
> prefer 'D-Link' route and 802.11g, because I think my IP, Comcast does
> accept. Someone told me that any device 'N'/(speedy device) needs to
> avoid, because Comcast does not like.
>

> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Yes, on desktop you need to install PCI wireless inside, or use a USB
>> Wireless (Internal PCI is usually better).
>> Example.
>> PCI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
>> USB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315075
>> Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
>> http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
>> On laptops that do not have internal Wireless you can use PCMCIA Card.
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Spring09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks for the response.
>>>
>>> In order to get wireless capaciy, I need not only Wireless Router,' also
>>> need to install 'wireless cards' to all PCs that have NO wireless cards
>>> inside. Only the Printer is 'wireless.'
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Barb Bowman

Everyone, http://www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter/

Jack, this is a WNR1000v2. Pls contact me offline.

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com