Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > Reviews & How-To's > Review: Titan Robela Water Case (TWC-A88/BS)

Review: Titan Robela Water Case (TWC-A88/BS)

10-07-2005
"yah i am so cool i have a Mannequin which is a computer... i dress it up"

10-07-2005
...such good documentation. They far surpase my efforts, both in design and documentation. At least, that Hellraiser one does!

10-08-2005
Don't be too sure about that Al. did you have corporate sponsorship and backing for your work? He did. If you had the backing you'd be able to do a lot more too. Also, it's not like what he did took a lot of imagination. One guy did a very cool Hellraizer mod long before that one, he made the box, it looked very cool and also was something you wouldn't be ashamed to put on your desktop. All that Cenobite mod is, is a "stuff some crappy hardware in something different" mod. I don't consider that kind of work worthy of notice. I'm impressed when someone takes something that has potential to be better and redoes it in an original way. Stuffing cheap components into a mannequin (or toaster or go kart or whatever) doesn't take a lot of skill or creativity. What he made there was already made before hand for the most part. He bought a mannequin, bought all the parts and just smooshed 'em together into that shape. It's not like he crafted anything with his own hands there.
I'm more impressed if I see a hand painted case that's got little in the way of gadgetry, it at least shows some talent. Or a case that makes use of metal, plastic and other forms of fabrication. Something that's unique but it's still a computer.
It's kinda like this. You'd pay money to see the work of someone like Chip Foose or Jesse James or Orange County Choppers. They build cars and bikes and they look, surprisingly, like cars and bikes. Now, would you pay to see the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile? A car that looks like a hot dog? I didn't think so.
I approach computer modding the same way a great car or bike builder approaches what they do. It's a computer, it's not a freakin' doll or something. Like the one guy who stuffed a computer in some oversized anime doll thing, that was just stupid. And some of the recent "Rigs of the month" in the magazines have been pretty sad too. One guy stuffs a computer in a trashcan and wins $1500, another guy builds a computer into a HumVee and wins $1500. What's up with that? Does it take any creativity to snatch up a Mini ITX board and throw it into .. well ... just about anything? I mean, if I toss a mobo into a toilet, am I creative? I don't think so. But someone's gonna do that mod and win a prize for it, you watch.

10-08-2005
Haven't the japanese already invented a toilet-computer? I remember seeing some news articel about it, lol.

10-08-2005
Actually yeah... That's true, it's a urinal computer, you pee to play video games on it. (No joke, totally serious here).

10-08-2005
I was actually thinking of the one where they have a computer thing mounted on a little swivel tray... Unless it's the same thing? And it doesn't really surprise me, there's some pretty wacky inventions come from there.

10-08-2005
Dunno about that one, this is one where you pee into this urinal and aim and it's a videogame, pretty sick stuff.

10-08-2005
No corporation would support my habit of building computers. *They couldn't afford to! *I wish I could get Sun to sponsor me though. *I like their products, and when I can get them for free, I really enjoy modding them into something more useful in today's world.
Anyway, I guess I'll scrap my ideas for inflatable doll computers, toaster-oven computers, and dishwasher computers. *That leaves me with modding my old Osborne Executive computer.
See this link: *http://www.old-computers.com/forum/frameset.asp , look for the topic " Anybody own an Osborne Computer?" in the Old laptop & pocket computers section of the forums.

10-09-2005
http://www.old-computers.com/forum/f...p?TID=787&PN=1
direct link for every
Looks like a fun project there Al, are u going to get a small LCD and a ITX mobo?
I recommend a DFI ITX, though they only make Intels. But they do have their own LVDS connectors.

10-09-2005
Here's a list of my "Old Computers". Not sure where some of them are but most of 'em are probably at my dad's place.
Altair 8800 (With the SOL)
DEC's...PDP-10, PDP-11
TRS-80 Model's 1 2 and 3
Commodore Pet 4032
Atari 400/800/800xl/130xe/520st/1040st/Mega2/Mega4
(Atari Related): ATR8000, ApeFace, Happy Drives, Doublers, etc etc... Name it, for the Atari's we've got it.
IBM PCjr, PC/XT, PC/AT (Several of all of those)
Compaq Deskpro 286, 386, 486
Multiple flavors of other PC's, I couldn't begin to name them all.
Sun Sparcstations (Mostly pizza boxes, a few 6 packs)
A few Sinclares
Who knows what else... Lots of old stuff.
But, no Osbornes (Aren't they British?)