Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win7 64-bit upgrade - keeping XP Pro

Win7 64-bit upgrade - keeping XP Pro

Jerry

Upgraded to a 64-bit capable motherboard and cpu late last year.

Installed XP pro w/SP3 on it and it runs fine.

Got a legitimate copy of XP Pro x64 w/SP2 which I installed sometime later
in a dual-boot configuration. Did not want to replace XP Pro 32-bit with it
because of software/drivers/etc compatibility problems I'd heard of.

So, if I now upgrade to Win7 Pro 64-bit using that DVD that comes in the
package I'm assuming it will 'upgrade' and replace my XP Pro x64 version
with Win7 64-bit while leaving XP Pro 32-bit alone and I'll still be able to
dual-boot: XP Pro 32-bit and Win7 64-bit.

Thanks

Drew

As far as everything I have read you cannot upgrade from any version of xp
to win 7.. It must be a clean install!... unless of course you want to
purchase vista and upgrade to that and then turn right around and purchase
windows 7 and then upgrade to that. just my 3 cents but wish you luck!

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Upgraded to a 64-bit capable motherboard and cpu late last year.
>
> Installed XP pro w/SP3 on it and it runs fine.
>
> Got a legitimate copy of XP Pro x64 w/SP2 which I installed sometime later
> in a dual-boot configuration. Did not want to replace XP Pro 32-bit with
> it because of software/drivers/etc compatibility problems I'd heard of.
>
> So, if I now upgrade to Win7 Pro 64-bit using that DVD that comes in the
> package I'm assuming it will 'upgrade' and replace my XP Pro x64 version
> with Win7 64-bit while leaving XP Pro 32-bit alone and I'll still be able
> to dual-boot: XP Pro 32-bit and Win7 64-bit.
>
> Thanks

Rajesh Shenoy

To clarify,

1. Yes, you will be able to "Upgrade" Win XP x64 in the sense that you will
be able to run the Win 7 x64 Upgrade DVD from within the XP, and it will go
to that partition itself.
2. No, you will NOT be able to "Upgrade" in the sense that your applications
and settings will get carried over to the new OS automatically.

Read full details in winsupersite.com.

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As far as everything I have read you cannot upgrade from any version of xp
> to win 7.. It must be a clean install!... unless of course you want to
> purchase vista and upgrade to that and then turn right around and purchase
> windows 7 and then upgrade to that. just my 3 cents but wish you luck!
>
> "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Upgraded to a 64-bit capable motherboard and cpu late last year.
>>
>> Installed XP pro w/SP3 on it and it runs fine.
>>
>> Got a legitimate copy of XP Pro x64 w/SP2 which I installed sometime
>> later in a dual-boot configuration. Did not want to replace XP Pro 32-bit
>> with it because of software/drivers/etc compatibility problems I'd heard
>> of.
>>
>> So, if I now upgrade to Win7 Pro 64-bit using that DVD that comes in the
>> package I'm assuming it will 'upgrade' and replace my XP Pro x64 version
>> with Win7 64-bit while leaving XP Pro 32-bit alone and I'll still be able
>> to dual-boot: XP Pro 32-bit and Win7 64-bit.
>>
>> Thanks

Jerry

OK - let me clarify.

First, I know you can't really 'upgrade' from XP, any version, to Win7.

But, I also know you can 'upgrade' from XP to Win7 if XP is installed
already. The Win7 install routine will verify the legitimacy if the XP
installation and will then proceed to remove it and install itself in that
location.

Knowing what I said is supposed to be true then I would expect to install
Win7 64-bit; Win7 64-bit would verify XP Pro x64 as valid, remove it,
install itself in its place and, therfore, I would have XP Pro 32-bit and
Win7 64-bit in a dual-bott configuration.

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Upgraded to a 64-bit capable motherboard and cpu late last year.
>
> Installed XP pro w/SP3 on it and it runs fine.
>
> Got a legitimate copy of XP Pro x64 w/SP2 which I installed sometime later
> in a dual-boot configuration. Did not want to replace XP Pro 32-bit with
> it because of software/drivers/etc compatibility problems I'd heard of.
>
> So, if I now upgrade to Win7 Pro 64-bit using that DVD that comes in the
> package I'm assuming it will 'upgrade' and replace my XP Pro x64 version
> with Win7 64-bit while leaving XP Pro 32-bit alone and I'll still be able
> to dual-boot: XP Pro 32-bit and Win7 64-bit.
>
> Thanks

andy

During Windows 7 setup, you can easily format the Windows XP x64
partition before installing Windows 7 in that partition.

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:09:39 -0800, "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>OK - let me clarify.
>
>First, I know you can't really 'upgrade' from XP, any version, to Win7.
>
>But, I also know you can 'upgrade' from XP to Win7 if XP is installed
>already. The Win7 install routine will verify the legitimacy if the XP
>installation and will then proceed to remove it and install itself in that
>location.
>
>Knowing what I said is supposed to be true then I would expect to install
>Win7 64-bit; Win7 64-bit would verify XP Pro x64 as valid, remove it,
>install itself in its place and, therfore, I would have XP Pro 32-bit and
>Win7 64-bit in a dual-bott configuration.
>

>"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Upgraded to a 64-bit capable motherboard and cpu late last year.
>>
>> Installed XP pro w/SP3 on it and it runs fine.
>>
>> Got a legitimate copy of XP Pro x64 w/SP2 which I installed sometime later
>> in a dual-boot configuration. Did not want to replace XP Pro 32-bit with
>> it because of software/drivers/etc compatibility problems I'd heard of.
>>
>> So, if I now upgrade to Win7 Pro 64-bit using that DVD that comes in the
>> package I'm assuming it will 'upgrade' and replace my XP Pro x64 version
>> with Win7 64-bit while leaving XP Pro 32-bit alone and I'll still be able
>> to dual-boot: XP Pro 32-bit and Win7 64-bit.
>>
>> Thanks

Jerry

The statement below is in no way an answer to my question.

"andy" <bogusaddress@bogusaddress.123> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> During Windows 7 setup, you can easily format the Windows XP x64
> partition before installing Windows 7 in that partition.
>
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:09:39 -0800, "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>OK - let me clarify.
>>
>>First, I know you can't really 'upgrade' from XP, any version, to Win7.
>>
>>But, I also know you can 'upgrade' from XP to Win7 if XP is installed
>>already. The Win7 install routine will verify the legitimacy if the XP
>>installation and will then proceed to remove it and install itself in that
>>location.
>>
>>Knowing what I said is supposed to be true then I would expect to install
>>Win7 64-bit; Win7 64-bit would verify XP Pro x64 as valid, remove it,
>>install itself in its place and, therfore, I would have XP Pro 32-bit and
>>Win7 64-bit in a dual-bott configuration.
>>

>>"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Upgraded to a 64-bit capable motherboard and cpu late last year.
>>>
>>> Installed XP pro w/SP3 on it and it runs fine.
>>>
>>> Got a legitimate copy of XP Pro x64 w/SP2 which I installed sometime
>>> later
>>> in a dual-boot configuration. Did not want to replace XP Pro 32-bit with
>>> it because of software/drivers/etc compatibility problems I'd heard of.
>>>
>>> So, if I now upgrade to Win7 Pro 64-bit using that DVD that comes in the
>>> package I'm assuming it will 'upgrade' and replace my XP Pro x64 version
>>> with Win7 64-bit while leaving XP Pro 32-bit alone and I'll still be
>>> able
>>> to dual-boot: XP Pro 32-bit and Win7 64-bit.
>>>
>>> Thanks

John Barnes

The Win7 installation does not automatically install to any particular
partition. You have to know which partition you want to select when it asks
you where you want to install. Make sure the descriptions of your
partitions are such that you can make a proper selection and do not
accidentally overwrite your XP installation.

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> The statement below is in no way an answer to my question.
>
> "andy" <bogusaddress@bogusaddress.123> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> During Windows 7 setup, you can easily format the Windows XP x64
>> partition before installing Windows 7 in that partition.
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:09:39 -0800, "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>OK - let me clarify.
>>>
>>>First, I know you can't really 'upgrade' from XP, any version, to Win7.
>>>
>>>But, I also know you can 'upgrade' from XP to Win7 if XP is installed
>>>already. The Win7 install routine will verify the legitimacy if the XP
>>>installation and will then proceed to remove it and install itself in
>>>that
>>>location.
>>>
>>>Knowing what I said is supposed to be true then I would expect to install
>>>Win7 64-bit; Win7 64-bit would verify XP Pro x64 as valid, remove it,
>>>install itself in its place and, therfore, I would have XP Pro 32-bit and
>>>Win7 64-bit in a dual-bott configuration.
>>>

>>>"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Re: Odd Notification Area behavior Win7 Pro x64 Bobby Johnson Windows 64bit 3 02-04-2010 05:34 PM
Re: Odd Notification Area behavior Win7 Pro x64 Bobby Johnson Windows 64bit 0 02-04-2010 03:49 PM
Win7 Pro x64 dies with BSOD on my toshiba laptop (Win7 Retail/RTM) Warren Postma Windows 64bit 6 11-20-2009 11:23 PM
Win7 upgrade Drew Windows 64bit 3 10-21-2009 07:54 AM
Win7: Upgrade or Clean Install? Mark H Windows 64bit 15 07-01-2009 06:45 PM

Advertisments