Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft yanks Windows code on GPL violation claim

Microsoft yanks Windows code on GPL violation claim

Carnations

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:58:26 +1300, Richard wrote:

> Gordon wrote:
>
>> " ?Not Invented Here? " Why do the ? appear in my newsreader? Always
>> thought that they were web/Netscape produced.
>>
>> Usenet is about ASCII, font and other bits. yes?

> Lawrances post was in normal UTF-8 character set which has the correct
> quote marks in it as he used, sounds like something you are using is not
> honoring the character set request and dumbing it down to 7 bit.
>
> Usenet has handled 8bit for a very very long time now, yet some people
> insist on crap like quoted-printable or similar encodings still.

Usenet is officially a 7-bit service. It is not - and cannot be - 8-bit clean.

If a post is to be fully compatible with all NNTP clients then it needs to be either 7-bit text only, or it
needs to conform to the agreed methods of encoding the additional 128 characters using the officially
supported 7-bit text.

victor

Carnations wrote:

>>> But "copyrighteED" is the past tense of a verb. epic pedant fail

>> What is the present and future tense of it? I dont think it has any so
>> then saying is copyright and will be copyright are the only ways to
>> express it?

> "Copyrighted" is an adjective. you can describe someone as having received a copyright, and that the
> object of the copyright is therefore copyrighted or that it will be copyrighted.

The suffix ed denotes the past tense of a verb

Carnations

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:31:44 +1300, victor wrote:

>> "Copyrighted" is an adjective. you can describe someone as having
>> received a copyright, and that the object of the copyright is therefore
>> copyrighted or that it will be copyrighted.
>>

> The suffix ed denotes the past tense of a verb

Yes - of many but not all verbs. It also denotes the passive past participle of some verbs and is one of
the ways some adjectives are formed from noun roots.