Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > No appetite for big open source development projects

No appetite for big open source development projects

impossible

Interesting take on the success (and failure) of Firefox.

Again, I ask: Why has open-source developement of quality application
software proven to be such a bust?

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...hen_house.html

Gordon

On 2009-11-11, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Interesting take on the success (and failure) of Firefox.
>
> Again, I ask: Why has open-source developement of quality application
> software proven to be such a bust?
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...hen_house.html

What a funny perspective that chap has.

Open scource software is just closing in on all sides. No big deal of
marketing just a programme that keeps on getting better. Word of mouth works
away and the software spreads.

Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross platform. ;-

thingy

On Nov 12, 5:26*pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2009-11-11, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Interesting take on the success (and failure) of Firefox.

> > Again, I ask: Why has open-source developement of quality application
> > software proven to be such a bust?

> >http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...refox_five_yea...

> What a funny perspective that chap has.

Indeed, as per Impossible focus on desktop applications, the world is
far more, but that's MS blinkers for you. OS ppl as a rule are not the
ppl interested in desktop eye candy...where its at is underneath
that's where these guys work.

In terms of eating...one OS guy creates an application that helps him
and releases it for others, others in turn write and release so the
original guy gets several applcations just by writing one...in effect
its barter, money as in $ is just the proxy for labour and really
energy....

> Open scource software is just closing in on all sides. No big deal of
> marketing just a programme that keeps on getting better. Word of mouth works
> away and the software spreads.
>
> Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross platform. ;-

Oh lets see Apache, Tomcat....to name but two. Even today Apache still
holds double IIS's market share...

regards

Thing

impossible

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Nov 12, 5:26 pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2009-11-11, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Interesting take on the success (and failure) of Firefox.

> > > Again, I ask: Why has open-source developement of quality application
> > > software proven to be such a bust?

> > >http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...refox_five_yea...

> > What a funny perspective that chap has.

> Indeed, as per Impossible focus on desktop applications, the world is
> far more, but that's MS blinkers for you. OS ppl as a rule are not the
> ppl interested in desktop eye candy...where its at is underneath
> that's where these guys work.

Underneath the desktop!?! LOL

> In terms of eating...one OS guy creates an application that helps him
> and releases it for others, others in turn write and release so the
> original guy gets several applcations just by writing one...in effect
> its barter, money as in $ is just the proxy for labour and really
> energy....

Yeah, right. Barter. Failure. Loser. Got it.

> > Open scource software is just closing in on all sides. No big deal of
> > marketing just a programme that keeps on getting better. Word of mouth
> > works
> > away and the software spreads.
> >
> > Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross platform.
> > ;-

> Oh lets see Apache, Tomcat....to name but two. Even today Apache still
> holds double IIS's market share...

Nothing on the desktop. What a shame!

impossible

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2009-11-11, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Interesting take on the success (and failure) of Firefox.
>>
>> Again, I ask: Why has open-source developement of quality application
>> software proven to be such a bust?
>>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...hen_house.html
>>

> What a funny perspective that chap has.
>
> Open scource software is just closing in on all sides. No big deal of
> marketing just a programme that keeps on getting better. Word of mouth
> works
> away and the software spreads.

Ms Penguin runs Ministry of Propaganda now?:

> Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross platform.
> ;-

Name them.

John Little

> > Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross platform.
> > ;-

> Name them.

vim - DOS to mainframe

impossible

"impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsELLm.130454$5n1.29259@attbi_s21...

> > "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> What a funny perspective that chap has.
> >>
> >> Open scource software is just closing in on all sides. No big deal of
> >> marketing just a programme that keeps on getting better. Word of mouth
> >> works
> >> away and the software spreads.
> >>

> > Ms Penguin runs Ministry of Propaganda now?:
> >
> >> Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross
> >> platform. ;-

> > Name them.

> vim - DOS to mainframe

LOL. A text editor? Really!?!

Biggles

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:33:27 +0000, impossible wrote:

>> > Ms Penguin runs Ministry of Propaganda now?:

>> > Name them.

>> vim - DOS to mainframe

> LOL. A text editor? Really!?!

They sure came up with a impressive list ,,,

BigglessZZ