Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCITP > E-Learning or Books

E-Learning or Books

Mike

I am going to start preparing for one or more of the MCITP certs.

I want to try the self-study route in the beginning and continue if I feel I
am learning the material and successful taking the exams.

Does anyone have any feedback on E-Learning? Do you think the books are the
better way? I know personal preference plays a big part, but I am looking for
content vs content if possible.

Thanks

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am going to start preparing for one or more of the MCITP certs.
>
> I want to try the self-study route in the beginning and continue if I feel
> am learning the material and successful taking the exams.
>
> Does anyone have any feedback on E-Learning?

E-Learning (particularly Microsoft E-Learning) is a great resource for
getting *intro* and *overview* material on a topic, but I would not rely on
it exclusively as a training resource.

> Do you think the books are the better way?

Published certification guides (MSPress, Sybex, Syngress) are designed to be
more thorough, but they do require a certain amount of discipline in
actually setting up the training environment and performing (and
understanding) the exercises.

> I know personal preference plays a big part, but I am looking for
> content vs content if possible.

Ideally.. I'd say use both -- but the latter is significantly less
expensive, so unless you need assisted-learning with fundamental concepts,
I'd likely recommend investing the $$$ in the books as a starting point, and
only enrolling in E-Learning if additional assistance is needed.

NOTE: Microsoft E-Learning offers a number of FREE courses as part of their
ongoing promotional strategy, typically tied to the release of new products,
or specific Microsoft strategies (like developer security training). I'd
suggest reviewing the list of free courses, and enrolling on one or more, as
an excellent sample to determine if paid courses would likely be beneficial
for your cert prep activities.

http://learning.microsoft.com/Manage...aspx?view=free

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

Mike

The books win. Thank you very much for your detailed response.

"Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am going to start preparing for one or more of the MCITP certs.
> >
> > I want to try the self-study route in the beginning and continue if I feel
> > am learning the material and successful taking the exams.
> >
> > Does anyone have any feedback on E-Learning?

> E-Learning (particularly Microsoft E-Learning) is a great resource for
> getting *intro* and *overview* material on a topic, but I would not rely on
> it exclusively as a training resource.
>
> > Do you think the books are the better way?

> Published certification guides (MSPress, Sybex, Syngress) are designed to be
> more thorough, but they do require a certain amount of discipline in
> actually setting up the training environment and performing (and
> understanding) the exercises.
>
> > I know personal preference plays a big part, but I am looking for
> > content vs content if possible.

> Ideally.. I'd say use both -- but the latter is significantly less
> expensive, so unless you need assisted-learning with fundamental concepts,
> I'd likely recommend investing the $$$ in the books as a starting point, and
> only enrolling in E-Learning if additional assistance is needed.
>
> NOTE: Microsoft E-Learning offers a number of FREE courses as part of their
> ongoing promotional strategy, typically tied to the release of new products,
> or specific Microsoft strategies (like developer security training). I'd
> suggest reviewing the list of free courses, and enrolling on one or more, as
> an excellent sample to determine if paid courses would likely be beneficial
> for your cert prep activities.
>
> http://learning.microsoft.com/Manage...aspx?view=free
>

> --
> Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
>
> My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
> Microsoft WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
>
> .

BPODFW

I have used and very both and find the MS Press books thorough and
technically accurate. The MS free e-learning is not as detailed but labs
offer hands on. If you like the labs and e-learning, I would suggest the you
look into IEEE computer society membership, www.computer.org. It offers most
of the MS e-learning, in current products, plus thousands of other courses
for ~$120 a year. Well worth it if you ask me, some material does not have MS
press books yet so e-learning is better than no learning plus the labs. I
have used other books such as syngress and exam cram but find them not as
detailed. Personal preference.

Design Patterns Books and Best Practices Books. Luis Esteban Valencia ASP .Net 4 07-01-2005 07:29 AM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
exchange MCSD books for security books MCSD Frank MCSE 0 01-12-2004 12:17 AM
Finished Courses, Selecting Books for Exam Preparation (List of Books) Mac MCSD 2 12-17-2003 01:48 PM

Advertisments