Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > MCDST Future and Questions

MCDST Future and Questions

Ian Watt

Hello,

I have really enjoyed doing my MCDST but am left in limbo at the minute as to what to do next?

Am i correct in thinking do to doing the 70-271 and 70-272 exams do I have to upgrade these next September or lose the certification?

The next main question is what do I do now? I want to make myself and 'ideal' candidate for the prospect of any IT support or Engineer's position am not sure if I should go ahead and do the 70-270, 70-290 and then 70-291. Or whether or not I should look at third party certifications e.g. Cisco or A+ and N+?

I reckon the best way to find this information out is to contact those who are already there. So any help at all is much appreciated.

I aplogise if this already has been asked by previous posters.

Kind Regards

Ian Watt

IIS Remoting Database Calls With ASP.NET Client
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...abase-cal.aspx

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Ian Watt" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Am i correct in thinking do to doing the 70-271 and 70-272 exams
> do I have to upgrade these next September or lose the certification?

The MCDST is a permanent certification, but only applies to Windows XP,
which, IMHO, gives it a lifecycle of about 6-12 months from now, as I
believe we're about to see a mass exodus from WinXP to Win7. Certainly I
don't expect too many more enterprise deployments of Windows XP, and even
existing short-term image refresh cycles might find themselves deferred in
favor of deploying Win7 (or replacing hardware).

The MCTS certifications are tied to the support cycles of the underlying
products,
and the MCITP certifications are tied to the validity of the underlying MCTS
certifications.

Note that the requirements for an MCITP are no longer simply a list of
required exams, but rather
- one or more MCTS certifications
- plus one or more "PRO" exams which award the MCITP.

Thus, losing the MCTS status will cause the MCITP to be invalidated. For
example, my MCITP:EA is based on an MCTS: Vista, Configuring (70-620)
certification. When that Vista MCTS expires in April, 2012, I'll either need
to have completed the MCTS: Windows 7 by then (which, of course, I will
<g>), or lose the MCITP:EA certification until I meet the new requirements.

Of course, that's still only *theory* based on what's been published by
Microsoft Learning. We've yet to actually see a 'renewal' cycle of an MCITP
certification; the first chance being the SQL Server certifications -- and
they "fixed" that by issuing a whole new certification path for SQL Server
2008.

> The next main question is what do I do now? I want to make myself and
> 'ideal' candidate for the prospect
> of any IT support or Engineer's position am not sure if I should go ahead
> and do the 70-270,
> 70-290 and then 70-291. Or whether or not I should look at third party
> certifications
> e.g. Cisco or A+ and N+?

To make yourself the "ideal" candidate for a job I'd suggest you work on:
[a] JOB skills
[b] INTERVIEW skills
and not focus so much on certification.

You have earned the MCDST, and that's pretty much a notch higher than you're
likely to find in an entry-level position, anyway. Focusing effort on server
certifications seems rather pointless if you have no practical job
experience as a server administrator (you won't get hired as a server admin
without experience). And while there might be merit in completing the 70-270
(Windows XP), if you're bent on earning additional certifications -- I'd
focus on *current* certifications that might actually cause you to develop
some future marketable skills - like Windows 7 (70-680).

But, in the end, the only thing a certification is going to get you is an
interview *IF* the employer is looking for candidates with certifications.
And, if you get the interview, but don't have the requiste JOB skills, the
interviewer will know that in the first 3 minutes of the interview and
you'll be on your way with a "We'll call you" in about 15 minutes.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

Ian Watt

Lawerance, thank you for your detailed reply. You have gave me an considerable amount of information to consider.

Thankyou

Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:

The MCDST is a permanent certification, but only applies to Windows XP,which,
11-Nov-09

The MCDST is a permanent certification, but only applies to Windows XP
which, IMHO, gives it a lifecycle of about 6-12 months from now, as
believe we are about to see a mass exodus from WinXP to Win7. Certainly
do not expect too many more enterprise deployments of Windows XP, and eve
existing short-term image refresh cycles might find themselves deferred i
favor of deploying Win7 (or replacing hardware)

The MCTS certifications are tied to the support cycles of the underlyin
products
and the MCITP certifications are tied to the validity of the underlying MCT
certifications

Note that the requirements for an MCITP are no longer simply a list o
required exams, but rathe
- one or more MCTS certification
- plus one or more "PRO" exams which award the MCITP

Thus, losing the MCTS status will cause the MCITP to be invalidated. Fo
example, my MCITP:EA is based on an MCTS: Vista, Configuring (70-620
certification. When that Vista MCTS expires in April, 2012, I will either nee
to have completed the MCTS: Windows 7 by then (which, of course, I wil
<g>), or lose the MCITP:EA certification until I meet the new requirements

Of course, that is still only *theory* based on what is been published b
Microsoft Learning. We've yet to actually see a 'renewal' cycle of an MCIT
certification; the first chance being the SQL Server certifications -- an
they "fixed" that by issuing a whole new certification path for SQL Serve
2008

To make yourself the "ideal" candidate for a job I'd suggest you work on
[a] JOB skill
[b] INTERVIEW skill
and not focus so much on certification

You have earned the MCDST, and that is pretty much a notch higher than you ar
likely to find in an entry-level position, anyway. Focusing effort on serve
certifications seems rather pointless if you have no practical jo
experience as a server administrator (you will not get hired as a server admi
without experience). And while there might be merit in completing the 70-27
(Windows XP), if you are bent on earning additional certifications -- I'
focus on *current* certifications that might actually cause you to develo
some future marketable skills - like Windows 7 (70-680)

But, in the end, the only thing a certification is going to get you is a
interview *IF* the employer is looking for candidates with certifications
And, if you get the interview, but do not have the requiste JOB skills, th
interviewer will know that in the first 3 minutes of the interview an
you will be on your way with a "We'll call you" in about 15 minutes

-
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDB
Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texa
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009

My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.co
Microsoft WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsu

A "Make Virtual Directory 2.0 Here" Windows Explorer Context Menu Utility
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...directory.aspx