Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > ANN: eGenix pyOpenSSL Distribution 0.9.0-0.9.8l

ANN: eGenix pyOpenSSL Distribution 0.9.0-0.9.8l

eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg

ANNOUNCING

eGenix.com pyOpenSSL Distribution

Version 0.9.0-0.9.8l

An easy-to-install and easy-to-use distribution
of the pyOpenSSL Python interface for OpenSSL -
available for Windows, Mac OS X and Unix platforms

This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
http://www.egenix.com/company/news/e...-0.9.8l-1.html

INTRODUCTION

The eGenix.com pyOpenSSL Distribution includes everything you need to
get started with SSL in Python.

It comes with an easy-to-use installer that includes the most recent
OpenSSL library versions in pre-compiled form, making your application
independent of OS provided OpenSSL libraries:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/pyOpenSSL/

pyOpenSSL is an open-source Python add-on that allows writing SSL/TLS-
aware network applications as well as certificate management tools:

http://pyopenssl.sourceforge.net/

OpenSSL is an open-source implementation of the SSL/TLS protocol:

http://www.openssl.org/

NEWS

This new release of the eGenix.com pyOpenSSL Distribution updates the
included OpenSSL version to 0.9.8l.

The new OpenSSL version includes an important work-around for a
serious problem in TLS, the protocol implemented and used by
OpenSSL. The Man-in-the-Middle TLS protocol attack was disclosed on
2009-11-05 and is being tracked as CVE-2009-3555:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7534
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename...=CVE-2009-3555

IMPORTANT: The work-around chosen by the OpenSSL team is to disable
SSL session renegotiations altogether. This can cause applications
relying on this feature on the client or server side to fail. You can
still download the previous version of our pyOpenSSL distribution if
you run into such problems:

http://www.egenix.com/products/pytho....9.0-0.9.8k_1/

As always, we provide binaries that include both pyOpenSSL and the
necessary OpenSSL libraries for all supported platforms: Windows x86,
Linux x86 and x64, Mac OS X PPC and x86.

Due to popular demand, we've also added .egg-file format versions of
our eGenix.com pyOpenSSL Distribution for Windows and Linux to the
available download options. These makes setups using e.g. zc.buildout
and other egg-file based installers a lot easier.

DOWNLOADS

The download archives and instructions for installing the package can
be found at:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/pyOpenSSL/

UPGRADING

Before installing this version of pyOpenSSL, please make sure that
you uninstall any previously installed pyOpenSSL version. Otherwise,
you could end up not using the included OpenSSL libs.

SUPPORT

Commercial support for these packages is available from eGenix.com.
Please see

http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

for details about our support offerings.

INFORMATION

About Python (http://www.python.org/):

Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language
which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use,
clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid
application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
platform for today's IT challenges.

About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):

eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company
focusing on expert services and professional quality products for
companies, Python users and developers.

Enjoy,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Nov 10 2009)

http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/