Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Processor Manufacturing Tech

Re: Processor Manufacturing Tech

Paul

James D. Andrews wrote:
> When looking at processors, what is the Manufacturing Tech (measured in
> nanometers) and how does this factor into selecting a processor and
> motherboard?

The geometry in nanometers, is a relative indication of the generation
of the processor. P4 might have been 90nm or 65nm. Core2 65nm to 45nm.
Some day soon, there will be 32nm stuff. It is a way of tracking "progress".

There are too many variables in the design, to make everything peak
at the same time. Notice that the processor geometry is shrinking, but
the clock rate isn't increasing without limit. The overclocking
record is still held by a P4 processor. But the newest processors
have the most performance, which is all that matters to the customer.
Performance is what we buy them for.

A benchmark chart is the most effective means of telling them apart.
Trying to use their "parameters" to do that, is a waste of time.

For example, in this chart, a lower execution time, is better. Pick the
"winning processor", then use the motherboard maker's CPUSupport chart,
to select a motherboard to go with the winning processor. You could even
make a plot of "system cost" versus the benchmark times, to give yourself
an idea of what price premium is being charged to be "the best".

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...0.52,1405.html

Paul

sandy58

On Nov 10, 9:06*pm, "James D. Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> news:hdcf92$jgd$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>

> > James D. Andrews wrote:
> >> When looking at processors, what is the Manufacturing Tech (measured in
> >> nanometers) and how does this factor into selecting a processor and
> >> motherboard?

> > The geometry in nanometers, is a relative indication of the generation
> > of the processor. P4 might have been 90nm or 65nm. Core2 65nm to 45nm.
> > Some day soon, there will be 32nm stuff. It is a way of tracking
> > "progress".

> > There are too many variables in the design, to make everything peak
> > at the same time. Notice that the processor geometry is shrinking, but
> > the clock rate isn't increasing without limit. The overclocking
> > record is still held by a P4 processor. But the newest processors
> > have the most performance, which is all that matters to the customer.
> > Performance is what we buy them for.

> > A benchmark chart is the most effective means of telling them apart.
> > Trying to use their "parameters" to do that, is a waste of time.

> > For example, in this chart, a lower execution time, is better. Pick the
> > "winning processor", then use the motherboard maker's CPUSupport chart,
> > to select a motherboard to go with the winning processor. You could even
> > make a plot of "system cost" versus the benchmark times, to give yourself
> > an idea of what price premium is being charged to be "the best".

> >http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...rts/iTunes-8.1...

> > * *Paul

> Thanks much.
>
> I'm to build a low budget system.
> I had comparisons of what processors I was interested in and what cheap
> mobo's supported each, but seeing the Manufacturing Tech (nm) listed, I was
> concerned if this was an additional factor for pairing the CPU/Mobo for
> basic construction I needed to worry about.
>
> From your link and OF's, I now have a basic grasp.
>
> And from Sandy's comments, I see that it is just one more tech spec for
> building "ultimate systems" but as long as my mobo supports my processor, I
> needn't worry.
>
> thanks Paul, OF, Sandy.
>
> We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

There you are, James. Paul's reply is comprehensibly as good an
explanation as I have seen. Even I can understand it. Thanks, James
for bringing up a new techie side to cpu's & thanks, Paul for your
explanation.

Re: Processor Manufacturing Tech Oldus Fartus Computer Information 2 11-10-2009 01:50 PM
Re: Processor Manufacturing Tech sandy58 Computer Information 0 11-10-2009 08:32 AM
Cisco Manufacturing Me Cisco 3 02-16-2005 08:08 AM
Sea and Sea MX-10 DID NOT honor warranty on manufacturing defect Reef Fish Digital Photography 10 05-04-2004 04:35 AM
Canon Eos 10D Manufacturing backlog???? Anil S Digital Photography 2 09-17-2003 10:07 PM

Advertisments