Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can my laptop broadcast a wireless signal?

Can my laptop broadcast a wireless signal?

Sand dan Glokta

I would like to be able to use my laptop PC (Dell Latitude D820) to "broadcast" a signal that my iPod Touch can connect to. My goal is to run UltraVNC on the iPod and be able to access my laptop computer screen. Is this possible? Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks

Programming ASP.NET
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ng-aspnet.aspx

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
If you have a Wireless Router connect the iPod to the Router, and use the
Network.
Otherwise for direct connection, the magic word is Ad-Hoc. Two Wireless
clients can connect Wirelessly one to the other when configured to AD-Hoc
mode.
Look at the manuals of both devices and see if there are specific
instructions for this type of connection.
If your iPod can run VNC this would help,
http://ask.metafilter.com/21771/How-...rking-together
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Sand dan Glokta" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to be able to use my laptop PC (Dell Latitude D820) to
>"broadcast" a signal that my iPod Touch can connect to. My goal is to run
>UltraVNC on the iPod and be able to access my laptop computer screen. Is
>this possible? Can anyone help me with this?
> Thanks

> Programming ASP.NET
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ng-aspnet.aspx

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) Sand dan Glokta wrote:

> I would like to be able to use my laptop PC (Dell Latitude D820) to
> "broadcast" a signal that my iPod Touch can connect to. My goal is to
> run UltraVNC on the iPod and be able to access my laptop computer
> screen. Is this possible? Can anyone help me with this?

Is your laptop part of a network, connected either by wire or
WiFi to your router? Can your iPod become part of that network by
connecting to your router and acquiring an IP address?

If so, then once you have the VNC server running on your laptop, any
device on your network running a VNC client should be able to see your
display (with appropriate permission).

Otherwise, you'll have to put your laptop and iPod into "ad hoc" mode
and have them talk to each other directly.

When your laptop is in ad hoc mode, it will be disconnected from your
network.

I've never done ad hoc mode, so I can't be of any particular help to you
in setting that up.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Sand dan Glokta

Thanks for the help. It sounds like Ad-Hoc is what I'm looking for. I'll do a little more research but basically I want to be able to do this because it would help me with my work. I do machine installation. Most of the factories where I work don't have wireless networks and it would be great if I could have my laptop sitting in a safe location like a control room while I'm on the machine with my iPod checking to see if things like sensors, valves, etc. come on/off when I trigger them.

Bert Hyman wrote:

Is your laptop part of a network, connected either by wire orWiFi to your
10-Nov-09

Is your laptop part of a network, connected either by wire or
WiFi to your router? Can your iPod become part of that network by
connecting to your router and acquiring an IP address?

If so, then once you have the VNC server running on your laptop, any
device on your network running a VNC client should be able to see your
display (with appropriate permission).

Otherwise, you will have to put your laptop and iPod into "ad hoc" mode
and have them talk to each other directly.

When your laptop is in ad hoc mode, it will be disconnected from your
network.

I have never done ad hoc mode, so I cannot be of any particular help to you
in setting that up.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

Dictionary Lookup ASP.NET ServerControl
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...up-aspnet.aspx

Lem

Sand dan Glokta wrote:
> Thanks for the help. It sounds like Ad-Hoc is what I'm looking for. I'll do a little more research but basically I want to be able to do this because it would help me with my work. I do machine installation. Most of the factories where I work don't have wireless networks and it would be great if I could have my laptop sitting in a safe location like a control room while I'm on the machine with my iPod checking to see if things like sensors, valves, etc. come on/off when I trigger them.
>

> Bert Hyman wrote:
>
> Is your laptop part of a network, connected either by wire orWiFi to your
> 10-Nov-09
>
> Is your laptop part of a network, connected either by wire or
> WiFi to your router? Can your iPod become part of that network by
> connecting to your router and acquiring an IP address?
>
> If so, then once you have the VNC server running on your laptop, any
> device on your network running a VNC client should be able to see your
> display (with appropriate permission).
>
> Otherwise, you will have to put your laptop and iPod into "ad hoc" mode
> and have them talk to each other directly.
>
> When your laptop is in ad hoc mode, it will be disconnected from your
> network.
>
> I have never done ad hoc mode, so I cannot be of any particular help to you
> in setting that up.
>
> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

> Dictionary Lookup ASP.NET ServerControl
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...up-aspnet.aspx

This is a very old article by a knowledgeable Microsoft MVP, but the
principles are the same:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
see also
Lem