Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: URGENT: Problem with network adapters driver errors

Re: URGENT: Problem with network adapters driver errors

chuckcar

Jimmy Dean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Lenova ThinkCentre
> C2Duo E8400 3.0GHz
> 2.0GB
> HD0 128 GB + 100 GB.
> WinXPProSP3
>
> External Seagate 233 GB.
>
> PC was working fine but over a period of some 1-2 days lost the
> Internet (ADSL).
>
> In Device Manager, all the network adapters are flagged "!"
> Multiple copies of most network adapters exist.

Then there's corrupted drivers. Remove them *all* and reboot. Windows will
then install a valid driver.

> To begin with, could not uninstall any network adapter or System
> Restore to even recent time.

System restore won't do that. System restore has some very specific uses
under very limited circumstances. Fixing uninstalls is never covered by
these. System restore is meant to be used to replace a corrupted copy of
the registry by a known good one where *nothing* else changes.

> MalwareBytes AntiMalware 1.41 (without online update) found 21 serious
> looking infections which were removed, except for 1.
>

> The was able to System Restore to 7 days ago

Again it *will* clear out *some* malware particulars, because some of
their code resides in the registry. However without knowing when the
infection actually happened, this is pointless and counterproductive. It
*won't* clean out malware entirely. This can only be done by running a
full scan on all files on the computer.

> Network adapter errors remained, was now able to remove the Marvell
> Yukon Gigabit network adapter but not the others (miniport etc).
> Reboot => Yukon Gigabit network adapter reinstalls but ! errors
> remained.

Did you try removing *all* of them before rebooting?

> SmitFraudFix 2.423 (without online update) removed a few threats.
> Problem not resolved.
>
> Installed a PCI Intel-chipset NIC, WinXP installed its driver but
> after a few seconds it too was flagged "!"

Well the card worked before you had problems with the internet - almost
certainly unrelated to the infection. So there's already drivers for it
installed.

Windows doesn't look in the registry for drivers, it looks in a specific
directory. A restore won't change that.

As stated, remove every driver in device manager that either has
duplicates or is flagged by a red or yellow mark and then reboot. By
duplicates, I mean if you have only physical one network card in the
machine and there's more than one driver shown. This removal applies to
*all* drivers in device manager.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )