Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Large capacity storage

Large capacity storage

Does things aren't too bad, but $500 for the 500GB makes it a pony
show.
I would get an ATOM based Netbook that will give you loads of
options
and decent storage space in a very small package. You can always add
cheap external USB storage as well. Trust me, I've got the Epson
version of this thing and it just sits in the drawer after the one and
only time I used it.

-hh

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does things aren't too bad, but $500 for the 500GB makes it a pony
> show.

YMMV as to how much storage you want, although since the internal SATA
disk being used is a marketplace commodity you're going to pay about
the same price for it no matter what is wrapped around it.

For example, the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA is $250 without any
drive...add $50 for a 120GB from NewEgg or $100 for a 500GB as you
see fit...$300 to $350 total.

>* I would get an ATOM based Netbook that will give you loads of
> options and decent Backup 120GB on a single chargestorage space in a very small package. *

True in that an Atom does afford more options, but there's no such
thing as a free lunch. So while it might be "small enough' for your
interests, there are indeed smaller options.

For example, the aforementioned Colorspace is roughly 3"x5"x1" in size
(just over 15 cubic inches), has a transfer rate of 2GB/minute
("world's fastest"), can transfer 120GB on a single battery
charge...and at 9.5 ounces (270g), it is roughly 1/2 the weight (and
1/4 the size) of a typical Atom netbook, which means that if you
consider redundency to be a higher priority, you can do that within
the same envelope.

> You can always add cheap external USB storage as well. *

True, but you better have grid power available, due to the big hit in
transfer speeds you'll take.

> Trust me, I've got the Epson version of this thing and it just
> sits in the drawer after the one and only time I used it.

Perhaps because you bought the fancy Epson version? I have a pair
of the older Hyperdrive HD80's and they've gone with me on every
"Expeditionary" photo trip I take.

-hh

Jrgen Exner

-hh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>For example, the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA is $250 without any
>drive...add $50 for a 120GB from NewEgg or $100 for a 500GB as you
>see fit...$300 to $350 total.

That's way overpriced! Shopping around it is not difficult to find 1TB
internal SATA drives for 90$ US and 2TB drives for 180$ US.

jue

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jrgen Exner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> -hh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >For example, the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA is $250 without any
> >drive...add $50 for a 120GB from NewEgg or $100 for a 500GB as you
> >see fit...$300 to $350 total.

> That's way overpriced!

not really.

> Shopping around it is not difficult to find 1TB
> internal SATA drives for 90$ US and 2TB drives for 180$ US.

shop around for some reading glasses and reread what he wrote. the
hyperdrive is a portable storage device, so he's talking about *laptop*
drives, not desktop drives.

Jrgen Exner

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jrgen Exner
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> -hh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >For example, the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA is $250 without any
>> >drive...add $50 for a 120GB from NewEgg or $100 for a 500GB as you
>> >see fit...$300 to $350 total.

>> That's way overpriced!

>not really.
>
>> Shopping around it is not difficult to find 1TB
>> internal SATA drives for 90$ US and 2TB drives for 180$ US.

>shop around for some reading glasses and reread what he wrote. the
>hyperdrive is a portable storage device, so he's talking about *laptop*
>drives, not desktop drives.

Well, it wasn't obvious from the posting that this device requires a
2.5" HD (assuming that's what you mean by laptop drive).
If that is the case, then yes, 2.5" drives are significantly more
expensive than 3.5" drives, indeed.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, it wasn't obvious from the posting that this device requires a
> 2.5" HD (assuming that's what you mean by laptop drive).

it wasn't??

> > For example, the aforementioned Colorspace is roughly 3"x5"x1" in size

which desktop drive fits in that space?

> > (just over 15 cubic inches), has a transfer rate of 2GB/minute
> > ("world's fastest"), can transfer 120GB on a single battery
> > charge...and at 9.5 ounces (270g), it is roughly 1/2 the weight (and
> > 1/4 the size) of a typical Atom netbook, which means that if you
> > consider redundency to be a higher priority, you can do that within
> > the same envelope.

desktop drive on battery power? 270g ?

-hh

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jrgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Well, it wasn't obvious from the posting that this device requires a
> > 2.5" HD (assuming that's what you mean by laptop drive).

> it wasn't??
>
> > > For example, the aforementioned Colorspace is roughly 3"x5"x1" in size

> which desktop drive fits in that space?

While I apologize for not being far more explicit, I didn't believe
that it was particularly necessary to do so, since the item of
comparison (an Atom Netbook) doesn't run off of a desktop 3.5" drive
either.

> > > (just over 15 cubic inches), has a transfer rate of 2GB/minute
> > > ("world's fastest"), can transfer 120GB on a single battery
> > > charge...and at 9.5 ounces (270g), it is roughly 1/2 the weight (and
> > > 1/4 the size) of a typical Atom netbook, which means that if you
> > > consider redundency to be a higher priority, you can do that within
> > > the same envelope.

> desktop drive on battery power? 270g ?

Since a specific product was named, one could have also tried a quick
Google before challenging. To be helpful, here's the relevant product
page which does explicitly state that it takes a 2.5" SATA:

<http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...Casing-Only-p/
hdcsu-000.htm>

FWIW, the battery power supply on the old Hyperdrive HD-80 that I have
consists of four (4) AA's ... the new Colorspace has replaced this
with a single 3.7v Li-Ion LG 18650 2600mAh battery.

FYI, it also appears that I erroniously quoted the specifications of
the previous "Colorspace" (not the current "Colorspace UDMA") model,
which results in some minor discrepancies.

Size: I said approx 5x3x1 ... exact values are: 5.25" x 2.95" x
1" (133 x 75 x 26 mm)

Weight: I had said 9.5/270gr...its now 10.5 ounce (298g)

GB transfer per battery charge: I had said 120GB ... its now 250GB.

All in all, its a pretty nice device for when it makes sense to
have. Its real niche is for when you want more capacity than your
[CF] cards alone, while also having weight (and/or power) limitations
that discourage a laptop/netbook type of solution. This isn't
necessarily a common problem, but it isn't an impossible one either:
I've run into it in bush plane flights on three continents.

-hh