Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Large capacity storage

Large capacity storage

BD

Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
of time.

I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
better options out there that I might have missed.

Dudley Hanks

"BD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
> images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
> of time.
>
> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
> better options out there that I might have missed.

My Dell netbook works well.

Take Care,
Dudley

Jürgen Exner

BD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
>images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
>of time.
>
>I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
>with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
>better options out there that I might have missed.

Depending upon your needs: a netbook with an attached 1TB USB HD.
With a simple netbook this combination will cost you around 350-400$ US.

jue

Shawn Hirn

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
BD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
> images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
> of time.
>
> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
> better options out there that I might have missed.

A laptop. You can't beat it for capacity and flexibilty. A netbook might
be suitable too.

Charles

"Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "BD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
>> images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
>> of time.
>>
>> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
>> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
>> better options out there that I might have missed.

> My Dell netbook works well.

Also, you can inexpensively expand a notebook/laptop with:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5tybbsmdz7_e

BD

On Nov 9, 3:07*pm, Larry Thong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Savageduck wrote:
> >> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
> >> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
> >> better options out there that I might have missed.

> > Check on the Colorspace UDMA from Hyperdrive;
> >http://www.hypershop.com/

> Does things aren't too bad, but $500 for the 500GB makes it a pony show.
> * I would get an ATOM based Netbook that will give you loads of options
> and decent storage space in a very small package. *You can always add
> cheap external USB storage as well. *Trust me, I've got the Epson
> version of this thing and it just sits in the drawer after the one and
> only time I used it.

Wanna sell it??

Seriously... thanks all, for the feedback. I'm kind of on the fence:
I'm not a laptop-using kind of guy (I have one, and it just gathers
dust), so the small size of the UDMA is appealing. I'm concerned about
the device not keeping up with raw file format changes, that kind of
thing. If I can find a UDMA used, I might consider it - failing that,
I'll watch for good deals on netbooks. It's a bit more than I'd prefer
to carry around, but would probably be useful in other contexts as
well.

-hh

> Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> > *BD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
> >> images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
> >> of time.

> >> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
> >> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
> >> better options out there that I might have missed.

FWIW, I looked into the iPod route 3-4 years ago. At that time, the
transfer speeds were utterly unacceptable. I ended up getting a pair
(redundancy) of the then-new Hyperdrive HD80's. If I were to lose
them, I'd replace them with the same (only newer model) today.

> > A laptop. You can't beat it for capacity and flexibilty. A netbook might
> > be suitable too.

> .A laptop can be a squeeze in your pocket. I use a laptop, a Colorspace
> UDMA and a Firewire drive for redundant backup.

A couple of pounds of laptop can also be a non-starter when trying to
fit all of ones gear *and clothing* into a 15kg weight limit on bush
planes, etc. Ditto for when you need to have something that can do
XX GB amount of data backups on but a single battery recharge.

The good news is that Flash Memory has gotten tremendously cheaper
over the past few years, so the choice of a dedicated wallet-esque
device can be considered vs. the alternative of simply buying gobs of
reasonably fast CF/SD cards.

-hh

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, -hh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>FWIW, I looked into the iPod route 3-4 years ago. At that time, the
>transfer speeds were utterly unacceptable. I ended up getting a pair
>(redundancy) of the then-new Hyperdrive HD80's. If I were to lose
>them, I'd replace them with the same (only newer model) today.
>
>> > A laptop. You can't beat it for capacity and flexibilty. A netbook migh=

>> > be suitable too.

>> .A laptop can be a squeeze in your pocket. I use a laptop, a Colorspace
>> UDMA and a Firewire drive for redundant backup.

>A couple of pounds of laptop can also be a non-starter when trying to
>fit all of ones gear *and clothing* into a 15kg weight limit on bush
>planes, etc. Ditto for when you need to have something that can do
>XX GB amount of data backups on but a single battery recharge.
>
>The good news is that Flash Memory has gotten tremendously cheaper
>over the past few years, so the choice of a dedicated wallet-esque
>device can be considered vs. the alternative of simply buying gobs of
>reasonably fast CF/SD cards.
>

>-hh

Agreed, the 32GB SSHD cards i have store well over 10000 pics at the highest
setting on my camera.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

> What do you do for a redundant backup of that card

use a camera that has 2 slots and allows simultaneous use.
No other way (outside transmitting the image via WiFi or firewire
or similar to a second location --- which can be hard in the
field), if you always need a redundant backup.

-Wolfgang

John Turco

Savageduck wrote:

> On 2009-11-09 15:07:19 -0800, Larry Thong <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

<edited for brevity>

> I have the 250GB UDMA, and it is easy to carry in a pocket as compared
> with even a netbook, downloads are reasonably quick. It is quick and
> easy to do incremental backups.
>
> I use it mainly during trips as a travelling backup, soon to be used
> extensively when I leave for Africa next week.

Be careful! Do you know what those cannibals always say?

"You are who you eat."

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>