Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Choosing GUI Module for Python

Choosing GUI Module for Python

Antony

Hi all
I just wanted to know which module is best for developing designing
interface in python .
i have come across some modules which are listed here . please tell
your suggestions and comments to choose best one
1. PyGTK
2. PyQT
3. PySide
4. wxPython
5 . TKinter

Also i need to know is there any IDE for developing these
things . . .

On Nov 8, 10:49*pm, Antony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all
> * *I just wanted to know which module is best for developing designing
> interface in python .
> i have come across some modules which are listed here . please tell
> your suggestions and comments to choose best one
> *1. PyGTK
> *2. PyQT
> *3. PySide
> *4. *wxPython
> *5 . TKinter
>
> Also i need to know is there any IDE for developing these
> things . . .

You may want to offer a little more info, like what exactly you are
looking to do with such GUI. are your needs for a VW, Corvette, or
Mercedes? etc, etc. All these kits have pros and cons, some better for
this some for that, yadda yadda

Antony

On Nov 9, 11:49*am, r <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 10:49*pm, Antony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> > * *I just wanted to know which module is best for developing designing
> > interface in python .
> > i have come across some modules which are listed here . please tell
> > your suggestions and comments to choose best one
> > *1. PyGTK
> > *2. PyQT
> > *3. PySide
> > *4. *wxPython
> > *5 . TKinter

> > Also i need to know is there any IDE for developing these
> > things . . .

> You may want to offer a little more info, like what exactly you are
> looking to do with such GUI. are your needs for a *VW, Corvette, or
> Mercedes? etc, etc. All these kits have pros and cons, some better for
> this some for that, yadda yadda

I would like to know about that pros and cons only ...

ssteinerX@gmail.com

On Nov 9, 2009, at 3:59 AM, Antony wrote:

>> You may want to offer a little more info, like what exactly you are
>> looking to do with such GUI. are your needs for a VW, Corvette, or
>> Mercedes? etc, etc. All these kits have pros and cons, some better
>> for
>> this some for that, yadda yadda

> I would like to know about that pros and cons only ...

What might be a "pro" for one use case could easily be a "con" for
another.

For example, Kit-X may be infinitely configurable to run on everything
from 800x600 to 1680x1050 pixel monitors with full viewport control,
full zoom, pan, etc. and requires that all those cases be handled
with correct configuration.

That's great if you're writing an application that requires that.

But, if you're writing a Pref Pane for OS X, which will never be any
bigger than the pref-pane window and will only run on OS X, that
particular kit might be a huge waste of time.

The "pro" of infinite flexibility becomes a huge "con" for the OS X
Pref Pane use-case.

Kevin Walzer

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gui+toolkit+for+python

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

On Nov 9, 3:59*am, Antony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I would like to know about that pros and cons only ...

I'll reiterate what i have said and others have said. WE NEED MORE
INFO TO PROPERLY GUIDE YOU!!!

Survey: What GUI is right for you?

1. What is your level of GUI programming? (0 1 2 3 4 5)
2. Will you be using this GUI for your own apps or distributing the
apps?
3. What is the primary OS that this app will be used on (or any)?
4. What type of app (graphics(2D/3D), texteditor, hello world)?
5. Are themes/customizable look and feel important?
*. You mentioned IDE's. That of course will narrow your choice pool
substantially.

Tkinter:
+Is included in Python as a built-in module!
+very easy to learn!
+adequate docs!
-lacks professional appearance
-lacks many important widgets
http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/
http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/

wxPython:
+larger richer widget set than tk!
+better look and feel than tk!
+opengl canvas built-in!
-not as easy to learn as tk
-docs are lacking at best (i really wish this were better!)
-not built-in to Python (rightly so, too big!)

i won't comment on the others. If you have absolutely no experience
try out Tkinter just to a feel for GUI in a hand holding environment.
If you are not happy with Tkinter's simplicity then move on to a full
featured GUI kit if you need the more advanced stuff. I would say try
them all! I would also suggest you learn to code GUI's without an IDE.
I think the experience is more rewarding. You should know every bit of
code you create personally!

Dave Cook

On 2009-11-09, Antony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 1. PyGTK
> 2. PyQT
> 3. PySide
> 4. wxPython
> 5 . TKinter

For cross-platform work, I'd choose either PyQt or wxPython.

If you're not too worried about the dual license, I find PyQt the best
combination of ease of use and features, particularly when used with
Qt Designer.

For commercial work, I'd use wxPython, which has a very liberal
license. It's fairly featureful, but not very pleasant to use.

Dave Cook

Simon Hibbs

Having tried most of the options out there, personaly I've settled on
two.

I use Tkinter for ver simple GUIs such as single dialog boxes or
results displays. The advantage of it being built-in to Python
outweighs it's limitations.

For anything more complex, I go for PyQT every time. QTDesigner is a
full drag-and-drop GUI builder that rivals Visual Studio, and PyQT
comes with a script to convert QTDesigner XML files into Python code,
which you then subclass in your own script and attach your own code to
the GUI widgets. There's a longer learning curve than Tkinter, but
it's very much worth it for access to QTs mature and rich framework,
with excellent professional-class documentation. Sorry, but wxWidgets
which I have used doesn't come anywhere close.

The main objection to using PyQT untill now was that for commercial
development you needed to buy a license (it was free for GPL
projects). That's rapidly becoming a non-issue as the core QT
framework is now LGPL and Nokia have a project underway to produce
PyQT compatible LGPL python bindings under the PySide project.

Simon Hibbs

Grant Edwards

On 2009-11-09, Dave Cook <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2009-11-09, Antony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> 1. PyGTK
>> 2. PyQT
>> 3. PySide
>> 4. wxPython
>> 5 . TKinter

> For cross-platform work, I'd choose either PyQt or wxPython.
>
> If you're not too worried about the dual license, I find PyQt
> the best combination of ease of use and features, particularly
> when used with Qt Designer.
>
> For commercial work, I'd use wxPython, which has a very
> liberal license. It's fairly featureful, but not very
> pleasant to use.

NB: One thing to I've noticed about wxPython is that if you
follow the rules carefully, the cross-platform behavior
consistency is pretty decent. However, if you're not careful,
it's easy to do something the "wrong" way and have it still
work fine on one platform, but not on another. During
development, you need to test frequently on all the platforms
you care about. If you wait until the end to test on that
second/third platform, you may have accumulated enough minor
problems that it becomes a real chore to try to figure them all
out.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Why don't you ever
at enter any CONTESTS,

Lorenzo Gatti

On Nov 9, 9:01*pm, Simon Hibbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The main objection to using PyQT untill now was that for commercial
> development you needed to buy a license (it was free for GPL
> projects). That's rapidly becoming a non-issue as the core QT
> framework is now LGPL and Nokia have a project underway to produce
> PyQT compatible LGPL python bindings under the PySide project.

I also would like to use PySide, but unlike PyQt and Qt itself it
doesn't seem likely to support Windows in the foreseeable future. A
pity, to put it mildly.

Regards,
Lorenzo Gatti