Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Win 7 vs Seagate ?

Re: Win 7 vs Seagate ?

thund3rstruck

philo wrote:
> Meat Plow wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 07:42:25 -0600, philo <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>>
>>> anyone have issues with Win7 (or Vista) and Seagate drives
>>>

>>> I evaluate operating systems and have had Win 7 issues with three
>>> Seagate drives.
>>>
>>> May be a coincidence...but *maybe* related to Seagate?

>> And just what 'issues' are they? PIO mode fallback when errors occur
>> in DMA?

> Installed Win 7 on an older (40g) Seagate drive...
>
> worked fine for a few weeks, then crashed upon boot with a 0xC00000e9
> error. Was not able to repair the system.
>
> Ran a the HD diagnostic on the drive and it found and re-allocated a few
> bad sectors, then declared the drive "good".
>
> OK fair enough...nothing to do with Win 7.
>
> Did a fresh install of Win7 (which involved formatting the drive)
> and...oops same problem.
>
> Well, maybe the drive is flaky...so I tried another Seagate drive that
> passed the mfg's test and still the same 0xC00000e9 error.
>
> After I tried one more fresh install which involved formatting the drive
> and getting the same error...
>
> I tried to install Win 7 on one of the drives that had crashed...
> only this time I did *not* format the drive...I just let the installer
> archive the old Win7 install...
> and oddly enough Win 7 installed and worked.
>

> Then for the hell of it, I did even one more installation...
> this time on an old Maxtor drive...and it worked fine.
>

> Well...this does not necessarily mean there is an issue with Win 7 and
> Seagate...because both drives I had were older ones...and I also know
> that just because a drive passes the mfg's diagnostic is not a 100%
> guarantee the drive is OK
>
> But I also have a *new* Seagate external drive that Win 7 (and Vista)
> see as unformatted but XP and Linux can easly read and write to.
>
> I popped a Western Digital drive in the external enclosure and Win 7 and
> Vista could read it ok...thus making me think that *maybe* Seagate has
> some firmware that is not quite compatible with Win 7 .
>

> My guess is it's just my luck and probably no issues with Seagate.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ydxnmn2

Looks like you're not the only one...

n0i

philo

thund3rstruck wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> Meat Plow wrote:

>>> And just what 'issues' are they? PIO mode fallback when errors occur
>>> in DMA?

>> Installed Win 7 on an older (40g) Seagate drive...
>>
>> worked fine for a few weeks, then crashed upon boot with a 0xC00000e9
>> error. Was not able to repair the system.
>>
>> Ran a the HD diagnostic on the drive and it found and re-allocated a
>> few bad sectors, then declared the drive "good".
>>
>> OK fair enough...nothing to do with Win 7.
>>
>> Did a fresh install of Win7 (which involved formatting the drive)
>> and...oops same problem.
>>
>> Well, maybe the drive is flaky...so I tried another Seagate drive that
>> passed the mfg's test and still the same 0xC00000e9 error.
>>
>> After I tried one more fresh install which involved formatting the drive
>> and getting the same error...
>>
>> I tried to install Win 7 on one of the drives that had crashed...
>> only this time I did *not* format the drive...I just let the installer
>> archive the old Win7 install...
>> and oddly enough Win 7 installed and worked.
>>

>> Then for the hell of it, I did even one more installation...
>> this time on an old Maxtor drive...and it worked fine.
>>

>> Well...this does not necessarily mean there is an issue with Win 7 and
>> Seagate...because both drives I had were older ones...and I also know
>> that just because a drive passes the mfg's diagnostic is not a 100%
>> guarantee the drive is OK
>>
>> But I also have a *new* Seagate external drive that Win 7 (and Vista)
>> see as unformatted but XP and Linux can easly read and write to.
>>
>> I popped a Western Digital drive in the external enclosure and Win 7
>> and Vista could read it ok...thus making me think that *maybe* Seagate
>> has some firmware that is not quite compatible with Win 7 .
>>

>> My guess is it's just my luck and probably no issues with Seagate.

> http://preview.tinyurl.com/ydxnmn2
>
> Looks like you're not the only one...
>
> n0i

yes...but the problem on that thread did not look like it was related to
Seagate

no big deal to me as I use Win 7 only for evaluation

uche

On Nov 8, 4:44*pm, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> thund3rstruck wrote:
> > philo wrote:

> >> Installed Win 7 on an older (40g)Seagatedrive...

> >> worked fine for a few weeks, then crashed upon boot with a 0xC00000e9
> >> error. Was not able to repair the system.

> >> Ran a the HD diagnostic on the drive and it found and re-allocated a
> >> few bad sectors, then declared the drive "good".

> >> OK fair enough...nothing to do with Win 7.

> >> Did a fresh install of Win7 (which involved formatting the drive)
> >> and...oops same problem.

> >> Well, maybe the drive is flaky...so I tried anotherSeagatedrive that
> >> passed the mfg's test and still the same 0xC00000e9 error.

> >> After I tried one more fresh install which involved formatting the drive
> >> and getting the same error...

> >> I tried to install Win 7 on one of thedrivesthat had crashed...
> >> only this time I did *not* format the drive...I just let the installer
> >> archive the old Win7 install...
> >> and oddly enough Win 7 installed and worked.

> >> Then for the hell of it, I did even one more installation...
> >> this time on an old Maxtor drive...and it worked fine.

> >> Well...this does not necessarily mean there is an issue with Win 7 and
> >>Seagate...because bothdrivesI had were older ones...and I also know
> >> that just because a drive passes the mfg's diagnostic is not a 100%
> >> guarantee the drive is OK

> >> But I also have a *new*Seagateexternal drive that Win 7 (and Vista)
> >> see as unformatted but XP and Linux can easly read and write to.

> >> I popped a Western Digital drive in the external enclosure and Win 7
> >> and Vista could read it ok...thus making me think that *maybe*Seagate
> >> has some firmware that is not quite compatible with Win 7 .

> >> My guess is it's just my luck and probably no issues withSeagate.

> >http://preview.tinyurl.com/ydxnmn2

> > *Looks like you're not the only one...

> > * * * * * * * * n0i

> yes...but the problem on that thread did not look like it was related toSeagate
>
> no big deal to me as I use Win 7 only for evaluation- Hide quoted text -

Guys I will obtain one of these drives:
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/data...rracuda_es.pdf

The spec sheet, under organization. says it is able to run in 520B
sector mode in SAS. Do you know of any controller I can buy that will
run in a mode that is not 512 B sector, 520 or 520 B preferrably.
Also, I called seagate and i was told that once the user tells the os
to change its cluster size to another other than 512, then
reformatting will be impossible .. does that make any sense ??