Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Best way to book flights to/in the US?

Best way to book flights to/in the US?

Joey Hoffnaagle

Howdy Campers,

I'm currently planning a visit to Canada/US based to spend Christmas with a
friend and New Years at Times Square based on the rough itinerary;
22nd Dec - Sydney to L.A.
23rd Dec - L.A. to Vancouver
29th Dec - Vancouver to New York
4th Jan - New York to Las Vegas
7th Jan - Las Vegas to Sydney (Via L.A.?)

Having never really booked a trip with stop-overs, can anyone advise whether
I'm likely to be better off trying to book a multi-city flight plan with the
stopovers - or just buying a normal return or one way ticket to L.A. and
then just organising the other legs (and return flight) separately?
Obviously, it's not exactly cheap season, so I'm trying to keep the price as
reasonable as possible and I've got a good deal on the table for the first
leg to L.A. that I'd like to book if it's the best way?

Can any seasoned travellers throughout the US recommend whether I should
lock it in and set about looking online for the other legs, or is buying the
one multi-stop ticket usually more cost-effective. Likewise, what timeframe
(ie one week before, three months before etc) is generally the best time to
book the cheapest flights? Finally, can anyone recommend any decent websites
for domestic flights throughout US and Canada?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Dan C

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 21:00:38 +1100, Joey Hoffnaagle wrote:

> Howdy Campers,
>
> I'm currently planning a visit to Canada/US based to spend Christmas
> with a friend and New Years at Times Square based on the rough
> itinerary; 22nd Dec - Sydney to L.A.
> 23rd Dec - L.A. to Vancouver
> 29th Dec - Vancouver to New York
> 4th Jan - New York to Las Vegas
> 7th Jan - Las Vegas to Sydney (Via L.A.?)
>
> Having never really booked a trip with stop-overs, can anyone advise
> whether I'm likely to be better off trying to book a multi-city flight
> plan with the stopovers - or just buying a normal return or one way
> ticket to L.A. and then just organising the other legs (and return
> flight) separately? Obviously, it's not exactly cheap season, so I'm
> trying to keep the price as reasonable as possible and I've got a good
> deal on the table for the first leg to L.A. that I'd like to book if
> it's the best way?
>
> Can any seasoned travellers throughout the US recommend whether I should
> lock it in and set about looking online for the other legs, or is buying
> the one multi-stop ticket usually more cost-effective. Likewise, what
> timeframe (ie one week before, three months before etc) is generally the
> best time to book the cheapest flights? Finally, can anyone recommend
> any decent websites for domestic flights throughout US and Canada?
>
> Any and all help is appreciated.

It's generally best to book it all at once, multi-stop as you called it.

Usually best prices are available if you buy at least 30 days prior to
flying.

Some sites for tickets:
http://www.expedia.com
http://www.cheaptickets.com
http://www.travelocity.com

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

PeterL

On Nov 8, 2:00*am, "Joey Hoffnaagle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Howdy Campers,
>
> I'm currently planning a visit to Canada/US based to spend Christmas with a
> friend and New Years at Times Square based on the rough itinerary;
> 22nd Dec - Sydney to L.A.
> 23rd Dec - L.A. to Vancouver
> 29th Dec - Vancouver to New York
> 4th Jan - New York to Las Vegas
> 7th Jan - Las Vegas to Sydney (Via L.A.?)
>
> Having never really booked a trip with stop-overs, can anyone advise whether
> I'm likely to be better off trying to book a multi-city flight plan with the
> stopovers - or just buying a normal return or one way ticket to L.A. and
> then just organising the other legs (and return flight) separately?
> Obviously, it's not exactly cheap season, so I'm trying to keep the price as
> reasonable as possible and I've got a good deal on the table for the first
> leg to L.A. that I'd like to book if it's the best way?
>
> Can any seasoned travellers throughout the US recommend whether I should
> lock it in and set about looking online for the other legs, or is buying the
> one multi-stop ticket usually more cost-effective. Likewise, what timeframe
> (ie one week before, three months before etc) is generally the best time to
> book the cheapest flights? Finally, can anyone recommend any decent websites
> for domestic flights throughout US and Canada?
>
> Any and all help is appreciated.

Sometimes (like what you are doing, stopping at two different
countries) it's best to use a travel agent.

John Levine

>I'm currently planning a visit to Canada/US based to spend Christmas with a
>friend and New Years at Times Square based on the rough itinerary;
>22nd Dec - Sydney to L.A.
>23rd Dec - L.A. to Vancouver
>29th Dec - Vancouver to New York
>4th Jan - New York to Las Vegas
>7th Jan - Las Vegas to Sydney (Via L.A.?)

I concur with the advice that if you want to do this trip, you should
book promptly because fares will increase and flights will sell out.

First, I would make sure you really want to spend that much time on
airplanes. Vancouver to N.Y. is 4000 km and N.Y. to Vegas is 3600 km,
which for comparision is about the same as Perth to Brisbane.

If that what you want to do, I would first get my round trip from
Sydney to North America. The only cities with service to Sydney are
L.A., San Francisco, and Vancouver, so if you want to fly back from
Vegas, you'll have to change in S.F. or L.A., and will probably need a
separate ticket for that.

For the flights within the US, there are Visit USA (VUSA) tickets
available only to non-residents that must be booked abroad, e.g.
http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/spec...rams/vusa.html

They'd probably be a good deal for this itinerary. Some VUSA programs
include Vancouver, but you'll probably fly through Seattle anyway,
since there is only one nonstop flight a day to N.Y., the tail end of
a Cathay Flight from Hong Kong. If you are visiting friends in
Vancouver, they might be willing to take you to SEA, particularly
since the C$ is very strong relative to the US$ so it'd give them a
chance to do some shopping. If you do that, you might reorganize your
trip to fly directly to Vancouver on a split United/Air Canada ticket.

If you can find a good agent locally, this is the kind of trip where
they can really provide value, checking the various VUSA tickets
against normal fares, looking at some of the low fare airlines that
don't show up in the regular computers (notably Westjet in Canada,
Southwest and Jetblue in the US), and figuring out the best overall
fares and routes for you.

R's,
John

G. Morgan

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 21:00:38 +1100, "Joey Hoffnaagle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm currently planning a visit to Canada/US based to spend Christmas with a
>friend and New Years at Times Square based on the rough itinerary;
>22nd Dec - Sydney to L.A.
>23rd Dec - L.A. to Vancouver
>29th Dec - Vancouver to New York
>4th Jan - New York to Las Vegas
>7th Jan - Las Vegas to Sydney (Via L.A.?)

>Having never really booked a trip with stop-overs, can anyone advise whether
>I'm likely to be better off trying to book a multi-city flight plan with the
>stopovers - or just buying a normal return or one way ticket to L.A. and
>then just organising the other legs (and return flight) separately?

Sometimes it's cheaper to schedule directly with the airline on their own
website.

If you get a great deal from SYD to LAX, stick with that (you're rewarded for
the round-trip, they may not consider the stops to get the round-trip price).
And I bet you'll come out ahead by booking the other flights with:

CheapTickets - Expedia - Hotwire - Orbitz - Priceline - Travelocity

(I've used Expedia and Priceline with good success)

All of those airports are going to crowded and miserable, especially that time
of year. Do yourself a favor and get non-stop service on all your legs, you
want to land at the fewest places you can. One weather delay at any stop can
ruin your whole holiday. For instance, I wouldn't want to fly from YVR to JFK
if I had to stop in Chicago... you're almost guaranteed to get screwed that
way.

A Mate

Joey I would strongly recommend that you visit your nearest Flight Centre or
STA office.

There are many pitfalls in multi city booking over the net when you are not
experienced - you could inadvertently cost yourself much time (and money).

Unfortunately the times you are looking to book are super peak times in and
out of Australia. Fares on the USA - Aust routes have been very cheap (still
are) but not after Christmas.

Are you aware of how much time you will be spending in the air covering
those huge distances. Sydney to LA can take up to 19 hours (depending on the
routing). LA to Vancouver; Vancouver to NYC; NYC to Las Vegas - all are
loooong flights

news:hd64sd$mp0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:23:11 +1000, A Mate wrote:

> Are you aware of how much time you will be spending in the air covering
> those huge distances. Sydney to LA can take up to 19 hours (depending on
> the routing). LA to Vancouver; Vancouver to NYC; NYC to Las Vegas - all
> are loooong flights

How would you suggest he shorten those distances...?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

Ad absurdum per aspera

The degree to which your itinerary involves Canada lets out some of
the discount airlines. If ground transportation to/from Vancouver
works for you, the Seattle airport might open up more such options.
southwest.com, jetblue.com, usairways.com (a major that seems to have
absorbed America West, and which serves Vancouver), alaskaair.com, and
frontierairlines.com are among the sites worth a glance at their route
map for at least part of your trip, in addition to the major
international airlines you know about.

A possibility to keep in mind is the use of secondary airports near
your destination (possibly nearER your actual ground destination!),
like Islip, Long Island for NYC or perhaps Burbank, Long Beach, Orange
County, etc. for the LA area.

Some of these airlines have software apps (like Southwest's "Ding!")
or mailing lists for the bargain hunter. Two or three weeks in
advance will often do -- especially if it is feasible for you to come
a bit earlier (you're probably staying long enough into January) so as
to miss the peak of holiday travel, when (a) it's always a zoo and (b)
the airlines don't have to offer bargains.

You might want to use these resources to get an idea of the
possibilities and then consult a travel agent who's familiar with the
US.

Enjoy your trip,
--Joe

SMS

Joey Hoffnaagle wrote:
> Howdy Campers,
>
> I'm currently planning a visit to Canada/US based to spend Christmas with a
> friend and New Years at Times Square based on the rough itinerary;
> 22nd Dec - Sydney to L.A.
> 23rd Dec - L.A. to Vancouver
> 29th Dec - Vancouver to New York
> 4th Jan - New York to Las Vegas
> 7th Jan - Las Vegas to Sydney (Via L.A.?)

Book the Sydney to L.A. round trip and then book the flights in North
America separately.

You might look into renting a car for Seattle to Vancouver and back if
your objective is to save money. The flights to/from Canada are likely
to be very pricey. There are also buses for about $55 each way.

Check out JetBlue who prices each segment of their flights separately
and doesn't charge extra for non-round trips. The downside of JetBlue is
if they cancel your flight and can't book you on another one of their
flights, they refund your money for the segment and leave you to
purchase a full fare, no-advance purchase, ticket on another airline.
Happened to my mother, and happens to quite a few people apparently.

Jeff Hacker

"Joey Hoffnaagle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hd64sd$mp0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Howdy Campers,
>
> I'm currently planning a visit to Canada/US based to spend Christmas with
> a friend and New Years at Times Square based on the rough itinerary;
> 22nd Dec - Sydney to L.A.
> 23rd Dec - L.A. to Vancouver
> 29th Dec - Vancouver to New York
> 4th Jan - New York to Las Vegas
> 7th Jan - Las Vegas to Sydney (Via L.A.?)
>
> Having never really booked a trip with stop-overs, can anyone advise
> whether I'm likely to be better off trying to book a multi-city flight
> plan with the stopovers - or just buying a normal return or one way ticket
> to L.A. and then just organising the other legs (and return flight)
> separately? Obviously, it's not exactly cheap season, so I'm trying to
> keep the price as reasonable as possible and I've got a good deal on the
> table for the first leg to L.A. that I'd like to book if it's the best
> way?
>
> Can any seasoned travellers throughout the US recommend whether I should
> lock it in and set about looking online for the other legs, or is buying
> the one multi-stop ticket usually more cost-effective. Likewise, what
> timeframe (ie one week before, three months before etc) is generally the
> best time to book the cheapest flights? Finally, can anyone recommend any
> decent websites for domestic flights throughout US and Canada?
>
> Any and all help is appreciated.

Check the oneWorld, Star Alliance, and Skyteam web sites for Circle North
America fares. Using Qantas and American, United, Air Canada, Continental,
and US Airways, or Delta, you should be able to put together an itinerary at
a tolerable airfare. An alternative might be a round-the-world fare using
one of the alliances and continuing eastbound all the way back to Sydney.

Based on your particular itinerary, I would suggest Star Alliance as
follows:
1. United from Sydney to LAX
2. United or Air Canada from LAX to Vancouver
3. Air Canada, US Airways, or United from Vancouver to New York (via
Toronto, Phoenix, or Chicago, respectively)
4. US Airways, United or Continental from New York to Las Vegas (via
Philadelphia or Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland or Houston depending on the
airline, then US Airways from Las Vegas to LAX and United home.

One nice thing about this type of itinearary is that they might have a
favorable Business Class option available, at least on the long haul
segments.

Have a great trip.

Jeff