Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Here’s That Leaked Copyright Treaty Document

Here’s That Leaked Copyright Treaty Document

Mary Hanna

Adam

Mary Hanna wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/11/acta/

Thanks. And as we know, its called the
Anti Counterfeit Trade Agreement.

That articles refers to this one,
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...cy-laundering/

In the leaked draft of these ACTA negotiations, 3 of
the 5 sections refer to US DMCA type issues. The pitfalls
and drawbacks of DMCA are numerous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmca#Criticisms

Also much talk of a 'graduated response' leading up to
disconnection from the internet. Policing to be done
by the ISPs themselves. That makes a real legal mess
for them, and leaves the legal notion of 'fair use'
up in the air.

The first outing of ACTA was by Labour's rather dim
Judith Tizard, and apparently staggered everyone present.
That's reported on here,

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yz6sa7e
http://tinyurl.com/yz6sa7e

As we know, Sione's Wedding was leaked or stolen from
inside the film production house, and had nothing to
do with the internet.

impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> points out below,
that there are already stiff penalties in place in NZ
for Copyright infringement.

So if there are strong existing NZ Copyright laws, then
these secret ACTA negotiations must be DMCA for the
sake of it. It'll certainly make playing an other
region DVD difficult.

http://coto2.wordpress.com/2009/11/0...-bad-very-bad/

The "big 4",
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_industry

Mary Hanna

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 20:37:10 +1300, Adam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mary Hanna wrote:
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/11/acta/

>Thanks. And as we know, its called the
>Anti Counterfeit Trade Agreement.
>
>That articles refers to this one,
>http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...cy-laundering/
>
>In the leaked draft of these ACTA negotiations, 3 of
>the 5 sections refer to US DMCA type issues. The pitfalls
>and drawbacks of DMCA are numerous.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmca#Criticisms
>
>Also much talk of a 'graduated response' leading up to
>disconnection from the internet. Policing to be done
>by the ISPs themselves. That makes a real legal mess
>for them, and leaves the legal notion of 'fair use'
>up in the air.
>
>The first outing of ACTA was by Labour's rather dim
>Judith Tizard, and apparently staggered everyone present.
>That's reported on here,
>
>http://preview.tinyurl.com/yz6sa7e
>http://tinyurl.com/yz6sa7e
>
>As we know, Sione's Wedding was leaked or stolen from
>inside the film production house, and had nothing to
>do with the internet.
>
>impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> points out below,
>that there are already stiff penalties in place in NZ
>for Copyright infringement.
>
>So if there are strong existing NZ Copyright laws, then
>these secret ACTA negotiations must be DMCA for the
>sake of it. It'll certainly make playing an other
>region DVD difficult.
>
>http://coto2.wordpress.com/2009/11/0...-bad-very-bad/
>
>The "big 4",
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_industry

For info that I read the other day was that the motion picture industry had
record takings and record DVD sale.

So why all the lies..?

All studios ever do is complain. You never hear them sound like they are
actually happy with digital technology, because in reality, they aren't. We
keep hearing about how poor they are doing and how the Internet is ruining
their business, yet this summer they grossed $4.7 billion in ticket sales, the
highest grossing summer ever at the box office. How did that happen if the
Internet is suppose to be eating into their business?

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-m...igital-2009-11

Roger_Nickel

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 20:37:10 +1300, Adam wrote:

> Mary Hanna wrote:
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/11/acta/

> Thanks. And as we know, its called the Anti Counterfeit Trade
> Agreement.
>
> That articles refers to this one,
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...cy-laundering/
>
> In the leaked draft of these ACTA negotiations, 3 of the 5 sections
> refer to US DMCA type issues. The pitfalls and drawbacks of DMCA are
> numerous.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmca#Criticisms
>
> Also much talk of a 'graduated response' leading up to disconnection
> from the internet. Policing to be done by the ISPs themselves. That
> makes a real legal mess for them, and leaves the legal notion of 'fair
> use' up in the air.
>
> The first outing of ACTA was by Labour's rather dim Judith Tizard, and
> apparently staggered everyone present. That's reported on here,
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yz6sa7e
> http://tinyurl.com/yz6sa7e
>
> As we know, Sione's Wedding was leaked or stolen from inside the film
> production house, and had nothing to do with the internet.
>
> impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> points out below, that there are
> already stiff penalties in place in NZ for Copyright infringement.
>
> So if there are strong existing NZ Copyright laws, then these secret
> ACTA negotiations must be DMCA for the sake of it. It'll certainly make
> playing an other region DVD difficult.
>
> http://coto2.wordpress.com/2009/11/0...aty-leaks-its-

bad-very-bad/

> The "big 4",
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_industry

A sad situation that it's come to this so soon on Barrack Obama's watch.
So sad that the possibility of open discussion of legislation being
pushed on to the rest of the world by transnational media conglomerates
should be viewed as a threat to American national security. Change you
can believe in? somehow it seems like business as usual-only more so.

victor

Sam wrote:
> Mary Hanna wrote:
>
>> All studios ever do is complain. You never hear them sound like they are
>> actually happy with digital technology, because in reality, they
>> aren't. We
>> keep hearing about how poor they are doing and how the Internet is
>> ruining
>> their business, yet this summer they grossed $4.7 billion in ticket
>> sales, the
>> highest grossing summer ever at the box office. How did that happen if
>> the
>> Internet is suppose to be eating into their business?

> So you're saying that as long as they received *some* income that it's
> ok to have more potential income stolen from them?

You can't steal potential income, and it is difficult to quantify the
net worth of each free viewing, whether it represents a lost sale or a
future premium sale.
The free experience increases the demand for the premium upgrade
theatrical experience.

Sam

Mary Hanna wrote:

> All studios ever do is complain. You never hear them sound like they are
> actually happy with digital technology, because in reality, they aren't. We
> keep hearing about how poor they are doing and how the Internet is ruining
> their business, yet this summer they grossed $4.7 billion in ticket sales, the
> highest grossing summer ever at the box office. How did that happen if the
> Internet is suppose to be eating into their business?

So you're saying that as long as they received *some* income that it's
ok to have more potential income stolen from them?

Carnations

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:08:33 +1300, Sam wrote:

> So you're saying that as long as they received *some* income that it's
> ok to have more potential income stolen from them?

Would you care to explain how "potential" income is stolen?

Anyone who produces something could have "potential" income diminished or "stolen" if someone else
produces something else that is more desirable - copy or otherwise.