Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Web design checklist to account for web differences

Web design checklist to account for web differences

Andy

Hi all,

I want to make a list of the most common variables & fixes designers
must take account of when designing. Basically just a quick kinda
checklist so people think before they rush into it.

So for example screen resolutions and the fix would be using
appropriate layout style - fixed, fluid or elastic. Or the universal
selector * at the start of a style sheet to zero margins and padding
etc.

What else should designers take account of when starting out?

Thanks,

Andy

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Andy wrote:

> So for example screen resolutions and the fix would be using
> appropriate layout style - fixed, fluid or elastic. Or the universal
> selector * at the start of a style sheet to zero margins and padding
> etc.

See answers about resolution in alt.www.webmaster where you posted a
similar query.

Think Fluid.

Universal selector * -- only if you need it for some specific reason.

--
-bts

Travis Newbury

On Nov 7, 9:43*am, Andy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to make a list of the most common variables & fixes designers
> must take account of when designing...
> What else should designers take account of when starting out?

Why limit yourself right from the start? Think about who the site is
designed to reach, and the kinds of things they like. For example,
maybe flexible width and as non intrusive to the visitor as possible
if the site is designed for (say) financial or bank information.

But if you are selling porn then you may want an image heavy, fixed
width, flash video heavy site.

Swap the styles around and both sites fail. I think as a designer you
need to know the pros and cons of different styles so you can guide
your client in the best direction for his product or company.
Completely eliminating any technology can only server to limit your
clients.